991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

.1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ooo, I can't give you a good answer on that one. Simply, on the .1 GT3 I did a 1:36.9 and in the RS I did a 1:33.0. BUT,

1). Tires on the .1 GT3 were Bridgestone Re71r and the dunlop maxx race 2 on the .2 RS.
2). I think I've progressed a decent amount as a driver since moving on from the .1.

So, I don't know for sure what the real difference is. I would guess somewhere in the range of 2 seconds.
Thanks, that sounds about right, and about the difference I'd expect at Summit Point.

I think that I too have progressed as a driver in the past couple years, about 1 sec a lap faster on tracks of these lengths.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:01 AM
hayn911gt3
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I loved my .2 GT3. Probably the best car I've ever owned......till I got my RS.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ooo, I can't give you a good answer on that one. Simply, on the .1 GT3 I did a 1:36.9 and in the RS I did a 1:33.0. BUT,

1). Tires on the .1 GT3 were Bridgestone Re71r and the dunlop maxx race 2 on the .2 RS.
2). I think I've progressed a decent amount as a driver since moving on from the .1.

So, I don't know for sure what the real difference is. I would guess somewhere in the range of 2 seconds.
Slightly more, I think. I went from 1:36.10 in .1 gt3 to a bunch of 1:34:2x on the same generation MPSC2 tires and without much driver improvement (regression from not driving for many months, actually). And unlike the GT3, my RS was not well set up and I was much rustier in the RS with the 1:34.2 laps in the RS being so sloppy I did not even share them for feedback, while 1:36.1 in a GT3 was a pretty good lap. So I'd think given the same level of driving quality, should be at least 2.5 if not 3 seconds/lap at laguna, or ~2 seconds per minute.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:37 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Once you’re on the Porsche wheel it’s tough to get off. Every incremental (and that’s really all they are) improvement car by car does improve performance. But at a cost - relative of course to your wallet.

My advice:
- come to grips that DE isn’t a race, it’s you against the track (for fun)
- all of these are awesome cars but none are race cars
- spend money on coaching and safety equipment before switching cars
- if none of that works consider buying a purpose built race car, it will change your attitude toward your street cars and quite possibly save you money

Note: I went from .1GT3 to .1RS to .2GT3 so who the heck am I to say!!!
How do you compare the power and delivery of the engine in the .2 GT3 as opposed to the .1 RS?

You can ramble on. That's what I'm waiting to hear.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:09 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

It’s so subjective.

I would say the difference between .1RS and .2RS are much bigger then I expected based on the specs.
Some smaller, shorter tracks the delta is not that big but at fast high speed tracks the time delta is massive.
Both compared to .1 GT3, .2 GT3 and. .2RS.

Ive “sat” in corners behind much better driven GT3’s struggling for grip and I have a lot more speed to give.
But on long straights sometimes the fat RS with all its drag can barely keep up...

Then there is setup, I think they got it very right with .1 GT3 but the .1RS needed a lot of setup.
The .2RS is much easier to go fast in without any setup, just set aero to max and go.

But then you drive an AMG GTR and you realize that all 991’s Drive the same and the Mercedes is still learning to become a track car.
Or you drive a 997RS and you have to re-learn to drive around a light nose with lots of trail rake to make it work..

I think Porsche overshot performance with the 991.1GT3.. as I said, had I bought one with the engine warranty I’d have kept it.
But an RS is an RS. For the new price Delta to me the RS seems like a bargain compared to anything on the track. Except compared to .1 GT3.
The following 3 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
jb997 (06-29-2022), Manifold (11-04-2019), rodsky (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 07:24 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
How do you compare the power and delivery of the engine in the .2 GT3 as opposed to the .1 RS?

You can ramble on. That's what I'm waiting to hear.
Not much to ramble about here that hasn't been said by others before. Here's my two cents:
Track use: I don't think the difference in the power curve b/w these cars matters all that much. I also don't think it matters all that much which of the two you choose for track use. I think cogent arguments can be made either way.
Street use: The power curve of the .2 motor is simply way better. I can't see how someone would disagree with this (but this RL so they'll find a way). There is more low end torque so it's better for around town use. Couple that with a back-up camera and it's not close but I digress. IMO Porsche nailed it with the .2 GT3 motor. I'm sure it's extremely well suited for the GT3T application.

Again - these are all great cars. There is no street car I'd rather drive on the track than the .1GT3 other than some other (better?) GT3 variant like an RS or .2GT3/RS. It's the entire package that Porsche delivers that makes these cars so great at what they do.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

I had every intention of skipping .2 3RS. Read all the tests and internet banter, looked at specs, yadda, yadda, yadda. Was perfectly happy with UV .1 3RS and didn't see the value in swapping. Then I did a drive swapping cars with a bunch of buddies because I was considering a GT2 RS. One of the guys had a new .2 3RS. I was floored by how different in felt to .1 3RS - suspension way more buttoned down, more power/torque across the rev range, PDK programming, steering, RWS, with the added bonus that it actually did rev to 9k. Went out the next day and bought one off the showroom floor.

Only thing I don't like better about .2 3RS is they didn't offer UV as a color option, you can't do radio delete, and your stuck with nanny backup camera.

Last edited by Nizer; 11-04-2019 at 05:02 PM.
Manifold (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

So, so far, I'm concluding that the 991 GT cars are similar, but not the same. Whether the differences are 'big' is pretty subjective, so the value question is also somewhat subjective.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
Not much to ramble about here that hasn't been said by others before. Here's my two cents:
Track use: I don't think the difference in the power curve b/w these cars matters all that much. I also don't think it matters all that much which of the two you choose for track use. I think cogent arguments can be made either way.
Street use: The power curve of the .2 motor is simply way better. I can't see how someone would disagree with this (but this RL so they'll find a way). There is more low end torque so it's better for around town use. Couple that with a back-up camera and it's not close but I digress. IMO Porsche nailed it with the .2 GT3 motor. I'm sure it's extremely well suited for the GT3T application.

Again - these are all great cars. There is no street car I'd rather drive on the track than the .1GT3 other than some other (better?) GT3 variant like an RS or .2GT3/RS. It's the entire package that Porsche delivers that makes these cars so great at what they do.
To me the 4.0's are about the same, the big difference is the PDK programming and the .2RS putters around just a couple of hundred RPM higher and has more torque, so overall it feels much nicer when going slow in auto. Not GT2RS nice but better.
When going slow in manual the .1RS did nothing audible but it would give a little push on full throttle shifts. The .2RS is a party per minute blipping and making noises at any speed shifting up and down.
To make use of the torque on track, you need corners where you are a little out of the powerband but you don't want to go a gear down, so overall that add little to lap time.
There certainly isn't enough power to overcome the max aero settings...
Old 11-04-2019, 01:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
I had every intention of skipping .2 3RS. Read all the tests and internet banter, looked at specs, yadda, yadda, yadda. Was perfectly happy with UV .1 3RS and didn't see the value in swapping. Then I did a drive swapping cars with a bunch of buddies because I was considering a GT2 RS. One of the guys had a new .2 3RS. I was floored by how different in felt to .1 3RS - suspension way more buttoned down, more power/torque across the rev range, PDK programming, steering, with the added bonus that it actually did rev to 9k. Went out the next day and bought one off the showroom floor.

Only thing I don't like better about .2 3RS is they didn't offer UV as a color option, you can't do radio delete, and your stuck with nanny backup camera.
Exactly this. I was told to take a hike ordering a GT2RS because that was the logical step to something "better", but I like the .2 GT3RS better.
Except I wanted Apple and already installed a backup camera in Purple RS because with the oem exhaust and suspension back on, it cruises like a Caddy.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I bought a 991.2 GT3 RS and still did not sell my 991.1 GT3

The GT3 was set up at Manthey Racing and I use the cars on track and to get good lap times but I understand what Manifold is saying

When I received the 991.2 GT3 RS I really liked it off course for everything we know but when driving it on the street I was a little disappointed in some way...

I thought I would feel the power difference more than that... The suspension felt underdamped and more bouncy (not talking about confort) the smaller steering wheel felt a little less natural and the car felt the same but even bigger and not as low so in a way the normal gt3 was looking more as a cup less refined car

Another thing is that the seat position of the GT2 bucket seats of the 991 GT3 were for me much better...

So yes it s not as if you would change from a 430 scuderia to a 458 speciale... or from a 997 to a 991 it feels the same car a little more special but a little less smooth and natural...

BUT on my local track wow what a difference

Ok I used the MPSC2 R on the 991.2 RS and I had the aero adjusted and agressive camber etc...

But after just a session I went from a best lap of 1 25 2 with my GT3 to a best lap of 1 22 6 with the rs...

You can really feel the car rotate without the understeer of the gt3 and it does not get unsettled as much and wants to grip and exit the curves without loosing time

At SPA my best lap with the gt3 was 1.41.9 and with the gt3 rs on a humid day ( and sport maxx race not the mpsc2 R) I did 1.37.9

So yes the car does not feel that different and for many things the normal gt3 can be better all around but if you want to get better lap times the gt3 rs is really well made
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxi_z:
Manifold (11-04-2019), TRAKCAR (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 02:44 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

Biggest difference I noticed going from .1 GT3 to .2 RS was low to mid-range torque, sharper suspension, and less understeer. Rear feels a little bit more stable braking from high speed due to aero. The rear does not really step out much under power in the .1 GT3. The .1 GT3 did feel more raw, especially during startup and idle but I wish it had more front-end grip. No mods on either car but alignments were done. For pure driving excitement I would have opted for a manual .2 GT3 but could not get an allocation. Let's see about the 992
Manifold (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:13 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

To add one more anecdote, a few years ago I got a ride at Watkins Glen in a 991.1 GT3 RS, same day I was driving my 991.1 GT3. Even from the right seat, it was very obvious that the RS had significantly more grip in the fast corners (probably meaningful aero effect), and there was quite a bit more front-end grip which allowed turning into corners at speeds which the GT3 would have struggled with.

All of this said, my mind kind of goes back to Joe's point: there can be much satisfaction trying the wring the most of out what you have, even if the absolute performance level isn't as high as another car. I've grown to view the 'weaknesses' of the GT3 as interesting challenges. Of course, a challenge none of us wants is a car which is just fundamentally ill-handling (which no 911 is, unless the setup is bad).
Old 11-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 724 Likes on 396 Posts

You said you like rawness.
You have the right car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Bill:
Manifold (11-04-2019), RDCR (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 05:49 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Buy a 997.2 RS and you have a more satisfying experience than any 991!
Get a Cup for laptimes.

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track