Sponsored by:

.1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 10:11 AM
Jzips
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Taffy66
The Cup 2Rs gain approximately 1s per minute which translates to 7s faster on the 'Ring..This translates to a 7'03'' which i'm sure i've heard mentioned previously from one of the factory test drivers. Like for like a solid 10s faster 'Ring lap time over the similarly shod 991.2GT3 is realistic IMO..The power difference is a virtually insignificant 20HP, exact same weight so the gain can be attributed to wider tyres and higher downforce.
This seems a very logical and realistic conclusion.
Well said.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Jzips
Well said.
Well said like a magazine racer......go do it for real and see what happens

Done it - it isn't close. I can't be anymore emphatic - the times don't lie and I don't me DE stuff - I mean getting out there and competing on the clock for real.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:25 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

The .1 GT3 provides most of the experience an RS delivers for a fraction of the cost. If you want to win the DE championship/bragging rights/penile swinging contest, go with a cup car - not an even more expensive street car.

It's easy to get sucked up into the vacuum of the forums where the latest is the greatest, but a .1 GT3 is still an amazing car in the real world.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jickel180:
jb997 (06-28-2022), Manifold (11-04-2019), robmypro (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:28 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Jickel180
The .1 GT3 provides most of the experience an RS delivers for a fraction of the cost. If you want to win the DE championship/bragging rights/penile swinging contest, go with a cup car - not an even more expensive street car.

It's easy to get sucked up into the vacuum of the forums where the latest is the greatest, but a .1 GT3 is still an amazing car in the real world.
Rubbish it doesn't - a cup car is a narrow limited single type competition vehicle - it can't even be entered in many open competitions because they were never able to be road registered and the engine in the 991.1 GT3 is a a disgrace.

Try open manufacturer type events - the Porsche only DE stuff is seriously soft **** and slowwwwwwwwww

Don't have any patience for this type of crap . No need to say more typical rennlist delusional thread.
The following users liked this post:
Apex Ace (11-03-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 10:54 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Well said like a magazine racer......go do it for real and see what happens

Done it - it isn't close. I can't be anymore emphatic - the times don't lie and I don't me DE stuff - I mean getting out there and competing on the clock for real.
Please provide details. I'm looking for comparisons of cars on same track, same day, same tires, pro driver.

At my home track, Summit Point, 991.1 GT3 can do 1:18s with Cup 2, 991 Cup car can do 12s, 997 Cup car can do 14s. On Cup 2 (not R), I estimate 15s for GT2 RS, 16s for 991.2 GT3 RS, 17s for 991.2 GT3 and 991.1 GT3 RS.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:55 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Rubbish it doesn't - a cup car is a narrow limited single type competition vehicle - it can't even be entered in many open competitions because they were never able to be road registered and the engine in the 991.1 GT3 is a a disgrace.

Try open manufacturer type events - the Porsche only DE stuff is seriously soft **** and slowwwwwwwwww

Don't have any patience for this type of crap . No need to say more typical rennlist delusional thread.
there are onboard videos of you on the track ? do you would prefer a 991.2 GT3 over a 991.1RS ?

Last edited by DK7; 11-03-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:00 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 402 Posts

Manifold - Please take back your opinion and perspective. It appears you had a tough day at the track and still can't grasp how much more capable the RS is. I suppose you get a mulligan because it wasn't your car and you were taking it easy. Might I suggest you really push it next time and change your opinion... that the RS is better in every measurable way.

OK, OK, please everyone I am only kidding. I actually enjoying learning from others, even in threads like this. I appreciate the information about tires, professional drivers, skilled frequent rennlisters who have the knowledge and experience, etc. Obviously, some take what these cars can do very seriously and every incremental improvement is meaningful and important. Alternatively, I also appreciate reading feedback from those in the camp who are content. Seems the best way to solve some debates is simply get out there and race and enjoy. Cheers!
Old 11-03-2019, 02:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

It's a strange argument.

Is RS faster? It is, and by a good margin. I switched from extremely well-sorted and very familiar to me .1 GT3 to a .2 RS that I still cannot fully trust due to setup challenges, and my time improved by 2 seconds at Laguna. And that's from a very good lap in a .1GT3 to a sloppy lap in a .2 RS. Same generation MPSC2 tires.

But why does it matter? I cannot see a good reason for it to be important, frankly. Going faster due to a better car is not "better" by itself.

Is it better to drive? It depends. I felt like a hero in .1 GT3 because I could get everything it had out of it (although not consistently). I feel like a poser in .2 RS because I know there is over a second per minute I'm leaving on the table compared to what can be done even by a non-pro. So for my ego, RS is not the better car :-). For my driver skill, it probably is - it's a new challenge and a car that's much harder to drive at the limit. But it will be less exciting driven at the same or similar pace as GT3 because it will be further from its limit.

Is it worth the price difference? That's a completely strange question because the worth of money is vastly different for different people.
The following 3 users liked this post by MaxLTV:
Jeahbladejeah (11-03-2019), Manifold (11-04-2019), PierreTT (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 02:45 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

OP's main take away message is about rawness and excitement not which car is faster or has better track performance.

Driving 1 3RS vs. 2 3RS back to back on same road, the newer car is somewhat muted below ~ 6000-7000 rpm, both stock. Maybe not pushed hard enough cuz it's not his car.
Manifold (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 03:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I guess I'll chime in since I've owned both cars in question. I can see where manifold is coming from because I honestly have just as much fun trying to wring out a fast lap in my spec miata as I do in my .2RS. If you're there to challenge yourself and get the most out of the car, I'm not sure it really matters what car you are in as long as it's a well sorted/setup car. From that standpoint, NEITHER the .1 or .2RS is justifiable and you should just get a spec miata. Now, if you have to pick one, yes, the RS is better in every objective way. But, the sound and the feel are very similar indeed. It's a porsche. The lizard green and the big wing makes it feel like more of a special car, but that is totally subjective. Get what you like. None of these cars can be justified. I'm still happy that I moved up to a .2RS.
The following 4 users liked this post by orthojoe:
Manifold (11-03-2019), PierreTT (11-04-2019), robmypro (11-03-2019), rodsky (11-04-2019)
Old 11-03-2019, 06:31 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I upgraded from .1GT3 to a .2GT3RS and while both cars are similar the RS is def faster and gives you more confidence around the corners. An RS is an RS and it looks wayyyy better than any .1/ .2 GT3 imo , worth every penny to me and will be looking forward to 992 RS
Old 11-03-2019, 08:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,268 Likes on 2,436 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I guess I'll chime in since I've owned both cars in question. I can see where manifold is coming from because I honestly have just as much fun trying to wring out a fast lap in my spec miata as I do in my .2RS. If you're there to challenge yourself and get the most out of the car, I'm not sure it really matters what car you are in as long as it's a well sorted/setup car. From that standpoint, NEITHER the .1 or .2RS is justifiable and you should just get a spec miata. Now, if you have to pick one, yes, the RS is better in every objective way. But, the sound and the feel are very similar indeed. It's a porsche. The lizard green and the big wing makes it feel like more of a special car, but that is totally subjective. Get what you like. None of these cars can be justified. I'm still happy that I moved up to a .2RS.
Thanks for sharing your perspective. What kind of lap time difference are you seeing at Laguna Seca on equal tires?

On the value question, my 991.1 GT3 was about $140k, which inflates to about $155k in today's dollars. A 991.2 GT3 RS is about $196k with similar spec. For that $40k difference, I'd get the RS; I think the difference in lap time alone is worth it. But for me the choice is between keeping a .1 GT3 I already have, which is now depreciated to a little over $100k and has 5 more years of engine warranty, versus swapping to get an RS at double the cost. I was hoping that the experience of the RS would make me splurge and get one, but it didn't work out that way.

I think you put your finger on it. Any decent car can be plenty fun if it's well sorted (and safe and reliable) and the driver focuses on trying to get everything out of the car. I have a friend who's an excellent driver and has both a 996 Cup and Miata, and he told me years ago that he finds them to be about equally fun. Nothing wrong with tracking expensive cars if someone can afford it, but we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that fun level increases substantially as a function of $ spent.

Agreed that aesthetics are totally subjective. When I want clean understatement, I prefer the GT3. When I want OTT blingtastic, I prefer the RS.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:13 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe

Amen!
Old 11-03-2019, 09:14 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Agreed that aesthetics are totally subjective. When I want clean understatement, I prefer the GT3. When I want OTT blingtastic, I prefer the RS.[/QUOTE]

RS is far from blingtastic...for that you need a gold-plated Lamborghini
Old 11-03-2019, 09:36 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for sharing your perspective. What kind of lap time difference are you seeing at Laguna Seca on equal tires?
Ooo, I can't give you a good answer on that one. Simply, on the .1 GT3 I did a 1:36.9 and in the RS I did a 1:33.0. BUT,

1). Tires on the .1 GT3 were Bridgestone Re71r and the dunlop maxx race 2 on the .2 RS.
2). I think I've progressed a decent amount as a driver since moving on from the .1.

So, I don't know for sure what the real difference is. I would guess somewhere in the range of 2 seconds.
Manifold (11-03-2019)

Quick Reply: .1 GT3 vs .2 GT3RS on track