Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 11:49 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
^^^Depends on how much is replaced...........and if it involves cats..............
Our manifolds are without cats. In regards to how much is replaced, we’re discussing the manifolds but the same can be said for any / all of the exhaust system, again in our experience.

JC
Old 11-03-2019, 07:04 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

As risky as catless headers may be from a warranty standpoint, I feel like cats, OEM or aftermarket, are designed with street use in mind and are not a great idea for cars that see significant track duty, spending more time at higher revs. Track cars not running cats might actually have decreased the odds of engine problems in the long run.

A few cars that run w us at PCA (admittedly not 991.1/2 Gt3s per say, but bmws and older porsches) had engine failures that were attributed to cats getting clogged up causing too much back pressure and/or overheating and causing heat problems due to proximity to engine etc.

The other thing I wonder is, is noone going to continue owning these things after the warranty expires?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:19 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,102 Posts

My understanding was always a catback exhaust is fine. But when you start getting into the emission system or headers you are possibly risking warranty coverage on an engine.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

How often do aftermarket headers cause engine failures? It would seem there would have to be a clear case of causation between the non oem part and the failure for the warranty claim to be denied. The Munson-Moss act was enacted to prevent manufacturers form denying claims based on the mere use of a non oem part. The nature of the non oem part itself shouldn’t matter be it a performance header, tire or air filter. What does matter is if the part Itself caused the failure.

I don’t know if there’s anything in Munson-moss that deals with the non oem part being a contributory factor. For instance, say a car with upgraded tires pulled high Gs on a race track resulting in oil starvation. Is the starvation due to: the tires, a design flaw within the engine, or both.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Christian... with what I am trying to explain below... I don't believe anything catastrophic will happen to an engine like in a Porsche with an aftermarket exhaust. However like i posted before I had warranty denied by Porsche on a dealer installed cat back Tubi system on my 2009 when a cat weld failed on a header. Do I'm just trying to convey the reality of warranty when performance aftermarket parts come into play,

The Magnuson-Moss you and other quote is really not about putting performance aftermarket parts on a car to change the power band and performance of the car and protect you..

Yes, I appreciate the distinction. That's why I said that if they can make some connection between your aftermarket part(s) and the warranty claim, they're right around the Act.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Originally Posted by Underblu
How often do aftermarket headers cause engine failures? It would seem there would have to be a clear case of causation between the non oem part and the failure for the warranty claim to be denied. The Munson-Moss act was enacted to prevent manufacturers form denying claims based on the mere use of a non oem part. The nature of the non oem part itself shouldn’t matter be it a performance header, tire or air filter. What does matter is if the part Itself caused the failure.

I don’t know if there’s anything in Munson-moss that deals with the non oem part being a contributory factor. For instance, say a car with upgraded tires pulled high Gs on a race track resulting in oil starvation. Is the starvation due to: the tires, a design flaw within the engine, or both.

There would have to be a clear case of causation presented to a court in order for them to win. There only has to be a perception in the head of the decision maker to deny your warranty and make you go through all the trouble of seeking that time in court.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 AM
mafoofan
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 35 Posts

Practically speaking, it’s not a question of who would win in court if fully litigated. It’s a question of whether you’ve got deep enough pockets, enough time (years in all likelihood), and the psychological fortitude necessary to fight it out after Porsche first denies your warranty claim. They know that too. Who’s right or wrong on the matter of causation is not the gating issue.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:44 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Yes, I appreciate the distinction. That's why I said that if they can make some connection between your aftermarket part(s) and the warranty claim, they're right around the Act.
ok gottcha... yeah the mag moss act didn't work for me with the Tubi cat back ordeal and i got schooled on it by the Porsche Zone rep.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:37 PM
RS911
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Practically speaking, it’s not a question of who would win in court if fully litigated. It’s a question of whether you’ve got deep enough pockets, enough time (years in all likelihood), and the psychological fortitude necessary to fight it out after Porsche first denies your warranty claim. They know that too. Who’s right or wrong on the matter of causation is not the gating issue.
Exactly, not to set a precedence they should contest all claims with a major exhaust change. And at the end should it go to court, the one with the deepest pockets will win.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:38 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Porsche refuse to buy used Porsches that have any mod to the exhaust as they are obliged to resell it with a minimum warranty authorized after local inspection and recorded at Porsche AG and worldwide valid

that is a modified exhaust void the warranty
and the only way to solve this is to cheat Porsche AG through your local porsche dealer reinstalling, without mentioning it, the original OEM exhaust Period
Old 11-05-2019, 09:25 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Originally Posted by fxz
Porsche refuse to buy used Porsches that have any mod to the exhaust as they are obliged to resell it with a minimum warranty authorized after local inspection and recorded at Porsche AG and worldwide valid

I am aware of at least a few GT cars traded in to dealers with modified exhaust systems. I've traded in my own 2018 GT3 with a GMG center muffler delete. In fact, I had purchased it used, CPO from a dealer, WITH THE GMG PART ON IT. In another case, Porsche removed the aftermarket headers, replaced with OEM, and CPO'd the car.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:09 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
I am aware of at least a few GT cars traded in to dealers with modified exhaust systems. I've traded in my own 2018 GT3 with a GMG center muffler delete. In fact, I had purchased it used, CPO from a dealer, WITH THE GMG PART ON IT. In another case, Porsche removed the aftermarket headers, replaced with OEM, and CPO'd the car.
Cheating the rule is always doable but doesn t change the rule
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Originally Posted by fxz
Cheating the rule is always doable but doesn t change the rule

True.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.