Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019 | 08:31 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by mdrums

It's called exhaust reversion. Exhaust gases can and do flow back.
Correct 😀 often thrown in with general term back pressure
Old 10-31-2019 | 08:36 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
Well unfortunately you’re wrong - as I reported above an acquaintance of mine had his warranty denied - Porsche were forensic and the offending items were fitted by the local dealer. Whether this is a 100:1 or a 1000:1 proposition is moot as it can happen and it does happen. That particular dealer no longer fits aftermarket parts. Also you will find dealers take photos of your car particularly if it has been modified in any way.
I don't think the facts appear relevant in this discussion, it seems to be more a case of convincing oneself that it will all be ok - and the risk is extremely low but not zero as you point out.
Old 10-31-2019 | 08:40 PM
groundhog
Race Car

I just think it’s a case of caveat emptor - but there is a reality - things do go wrong and both owners and dealers can get out of alignment very quickly - also, when it comes to a dispute I have generally found Porsche difficult to deal with.

Minor stuff they are fine, major issues or anything out of the norm they are not good.
Old 10-31-2019 | 11:35 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

It's called exhaust reversion. Exhaust gases can and do flow back.

Sure. Depending on cam timing, it's easily proved with a piece of paper on the tailpipe at idle. But not nearly to the extent that they flow outwards. Definitely not enough to suck little solid bits of cat material three feet backwards and uphill.
Old 10-31-2019 | 11:38 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Sure. Depending on cam timing, it's easily proved with a piece of paper on the tailpipe at idle. But not nearly to the extent that they flow outwards. Definitely not enough to suck little solid bits of cat material three feet backwards and uphill.
Metal particulates being ingested-----> barrel scoring, excessive oil usage and ultimately failure, the car was about 3 years old and was modified towards the end of the first year of ownership. The reality is simple, it doesnt matter what people on Rennlist think - the failure and cause were diagnosed by Porsche, warranty was denied and It cost my acquaintenance ~60K and three months of his life. How hard do Porsche play - the engine was sent back to Germany for forensic analysis.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-31-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2019 | 12:00 AM
Dougr743
Pro

I have 300,000 miles on my 2012 MB e350 had a cat failure, caused engine failure, never stopped running, but was burning a quart every 600 miles. Entire engine was replaced under warranty, CPO with the extended warranty. The reason they replaced the motor was a leak down test failure. I have all the paperwork, took 5 moths to get it replaced. they stated, the if the motor totally failed it would not have been covered, but because it was not triggering a fault and running, the leak down failure, even though caused by cat failure, they had to replace the motor. I still have the car, drive it every day. I still had to replace the cat out of warranty. There is a reason cats have limited milage or term warranty. They fail. The CPO warranty limited the cat warranty to something like 80k.
Old 11-01-2019 | 12:03 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dougr743
I have 300,000 miles on my 2012 MB e350 had a cat failure, caused engine failure, never stopped running, but was burning a quart every 600 miles. Entire engine was replaced under warranty, CPO with the extended warranty. The reason they replaced the motor was a leak down test failure. I have all the paperwork, took 5 moths to get it replaced. they stated, the if the motor totally failed it would not have been covered, but because it was not triggering a fault and running, the leak down failure, even though caused by cat failure, they had to replace the motor. I still have the car, drive it every day. I still had to replace the cat out of warranty. There is a reason cats have limited milage or term warranty. They fail. The CPO warranty limited the cat warranty to something like 80k.
Exactly, fortunately you didn't have an aftermarket system - if you had, you would have been up for a hefty bill.
Old 11-01-2019 | 06:41 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Originally Posted by ncp
Does changing from factory to aftermarket headers void the warranty?
Nope! Even in here Taiwan, Porsche Taiwan won't void my warranty!
Old 11-01-2019 | 10:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Yeah, and it's understood if you modify an engine or transmission that you're totally changing parameters as well...and thats on you. But for exhaust work, and especially exhaust work performed at a Porsche dealer (so they know it's been installed right and by their own certified techs)...it's beyond unlikely it's the root of anything short of a new rattle...
Nope you are wrong thinking like this...Porsche can and will deny warranty work even if only aftermarket exhaust was fitted even by the dealer.

Ive posted before on this but my 2009 had a Tubi cat back exhaust.... which was INSTALLED BY THE DEALER...Bert Smith Porsche and Porsche Noth America denied warranty on the driver side header cat that failed.
Old 11-01-2019 | 10:56 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Nope you are wrong thinking like this...Porsche can and will deny warranty work even if only aftermarket exhaust was fitted even by the dealer.

Ive posted before on this but my 2009 had a Tubi cat back exhaust.... which was INSTALLED BY THE DEALER...Bert Smith Porsche and Porsche Noth America denied warranty on the driver side header cat that failed.

Guess we all just take our chances then...and I'm not even much of a gambler
Old 11-01-2019 | 05:28 PM
Christian Plyler
Racer

I suppose they think about the odds of convincing a jury that the failure could have been, at least in part, caused by the aftermarket item. If they can do that, then like magic, they're around Magnuson-Moss.
Old 11-01-2019 | 08:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
I suppose they think about the odds of convincing a jury that the failure could have been, at least in part, caused by the aftermarket item. If they can do that, then like magic, they're around Magnuson-Moss.
Christian... with what I am trying to explain below... I don't believe anything catastrophic will happen to an engine like in a Porsche with an aftermarket exhaust. However like i posted before I had warranty denied by Porsche on a dealer installed cat back Tubi system on my 2009 when a cat weld failed on a header. Do I'm just trying to convey the reality of warranty when performance aftermarket parts come into play,

The Magnuson-Moss you and other quote is really not about putting performance aftermarket parts on a car to change the power band and performance of the car and protect you. This law will not protect you like you are thinking. It's was put into place to protect you if you put for example an other brand of windshield wipers on your car that the manufacturer can not void the car warranty. However if you replace one headers with aftermarket headers with no cars or free flowing cats this will change the power band, air fuel ratio and heat in the engine and exhaust. If you say... burn a piston due to the car running lean due to free flow exhaust or intake the manufacturer has every right to deny warranty.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act(P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C.§ 2301et seq.). Enacted in 1975, the federal statute governs warranties on consumer products. The law does not require any product to have a warranty (it may be sold "as is"), but if it does have a warranty, the warranty must comply with this law. The law was created to fix problems as a result of manufacturers using disclaimers on warranties in an unfair or misleading manner.

Last edited by mdrums; 11-01-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-01-2019 | 09:43 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Wish Dundon or JCR can chime in on this. Would be interesting to get their thoughts.
Old 11-03-2019 | 06:37 AM
JCR-Porsche
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by audiophilitis
Wish Dundon or JCR can chime in on this. Would be interesting to get their thoughts.
Ive been following the thread as we do most threads on the forum but I’m careful not to wade into every mention of an exhaust as it could be perceived as a hard sell, we’re not about that.

On this particular matter, In our personal experience, on the whole, it’s really not been an issue.

We send parts weekly (Headers included) to Porsche main dealers for them to install onto customers cars yet on the flip side other Porsche dealers simply would not entertain the thought of any non OEM parts being installed on a customers car. This goes for UK, EU, US, ROW. Your OPC ultimately seems to hold the cards when it comes to this, their attitude towards mods is reflected in how they might treat a warranty claim if a car was to be installed with aftermarket parts.

The other side is that with our parts they’re all 100% reversible and non intrusive so if for any reason you had parts installed and dealt with a dealer who wasn’t so keen on mods the reality is that you can remove the parts without any evidence being left behind.

If you’re concerned then I’d advise not to modify the car. The enjoyment overall might be tarnished if you’re concerned with potential issues and ultimately we own / drive these cars for enjoyment.

Whichever way the OP decides to go I’m sure will be the right way for them

JC
Old 11-03-2019 | 09:45 AM
groundhog
Race Car

^^^Depends on how much is replaced...........and if it involves cats..............

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.