Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 473 Posts

if your car comes under scrutiny and you have a full headers system on it...it's pretty simple, you swap them back out before your dealer submits anything to porsche. Yes it costs money, but you'll end up ok on the other side which is more important should something really go wrong.
The following users liked this post:
BlazinPond (11-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I would love me some headers but even with the best intentioned dealers and service managers its Porsche deciding.
They have denied, shocks and my melted rear bumper even though dealers thought it should be warranty, or even broke it themselves.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:50 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
if your car comes under scrutiny and you have a full headers system on it...it's pretty simple, you swap them back out before your dealer submits anything to porsche. Yes it costs money, but you'll end up ok on the other side which is more important should something really go wrong.
but that is a little dishonest, Porsche offer a warranty based on the car they design, test and QA - If you change the specs, I don't see why Porsche or any OEM should be expected to pick up the tab - probably not a very popular opinion but there it is. And I know dealers remove mods and CPO cars and CPO cars with mods - not sure what happens if Porsche discover this.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:18 PM
RoyalPink
Burning Brakes

Received 662 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by tgibrit
but that is a little dishonest, Porsche offer a warranty based on the car they design, test and QA - If you change the specs, I don't see why Porsche or any OEM should be expected to pick up the tab - probably not a very popular opinion but there it is. And I know dealers remove mods and CPO cars and CPO cars with mods - not sure what happens if Porsche discover this.
I agree and would go further then dishonest to say it could be construed as fraud. Magnuson-Moss makes it illegal for car companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. To me that doesn't include replacing originally equipped parts with modified parts for race purposes. If you're going to play the role then pay the toll.
The following users liked this post:
montoya (11-01-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:04 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

The topic of exhaust modifications and warranty voiding is a perennial concern and the answers are always the same, yes, no, maybe. What should be kept in mind is that dealers do not honor or deny warranty claims, PCNA does that in the US. Consumer rights laws may offer an avenue to defend against denied warranty claims, but typically a lawyer will be required to be successful. The less radical/invasive the modification, the less likely a red flag will be raised for a warranty issue. Anything cat back is unlikely to raise an eyebrow.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have full race headers, my neighbor has a CPO with full race headers and a tune, from the dealer, purchased with tune, aftermarket full headers and no questions about it. I think its going to be ok
Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalPink
I agree and would go further then dishonest to say it could be construed as fraud. Magnuson-Moss makes it illegal for car companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. To me that doesn't include replacing originally equipped parts with modified parts for race purposes. If you're going to play the role then pay the toll.
Yes...the Magnuson Moss act a lot of people and and especially aftermarket companies love to quote will not protect you and is not there for modification parts like headers cats, intakes etc. Porsche can and will prove these performance parts caused the issue with you car.

Id love some free flowing headers and intake and custom tune....but from my research and talks with the people that decide on warranty there is no possible way I will take the chance. I do well for myself but can’t stomach buying a engine or transmission
Old 10-30-2019, 06:25 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by groundhog
Be careful of catted - the cats are known to break down and be injested - leads to engine failure and your warrenty will be denied - I know of one person this has happened to in recent times.
Bingo...I’d never trust aftermarket cats...if I ever did headers it would be cat less headers due to what you described. Much safer. I’d make sure the headers and muffler didn’t put the car into any sort on lean condition thus burning a piston and so forth.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
Are you making a joke about a feline animal getting into the engine compartment and being sucked into the intake?

Catalytic converter guts can indeed eventually break down. But how do you imagine that material might be ingested into the engine? Backwards up through the headers? Against flow AND against gravity? You're smoking crack.
This little incident was investigated by Porsche and cost the owner the price of a new engine and all associated costs. His warranty was denied by Porsche.

All it took was one catalytic converter to start breaking down and be partially ingested through one bank of cylinders - the initial symptoms were excessive oil use followed by apparent power loss and then failure.

How much did this exercise cost the owner $AUD60,000.

Last edited by groundhog; 10-30-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 AM
Christian Plyler
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
This little incident was investigated by Porsche and cost the owner the price of a new engine and all associated costs. His warranty was denied by Porsche.

All it took was one catalytic converter to start breaking down and be partially ingested through one bank of cylinders - the initial symptoms were excessive oil use followed by apparent power loss and then failure.

How much did this exercise cost the owner $AUD60,000.

I'm sure you're right about everything. Everything, that is, except the phrase, "ingested through one bank of cylinders." There is no way catalytic converter material found its way into any of the engine cylinders.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:52 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

I've never swapped anything out, and plenty of my cars have had exhaust work done on them and plenty of warranty work performed...but I'm not sure that it's ok to let a company say something you did to a car that has an extremely, extremely low chance of causing real mechanical issues is the cause of something more major that's of their own design or quality issue either...Ideally the company works together with the customer to really figure it out, but ideals are rarely how things work now. I'd much rather be the one to accept responsibility and take care of something I've messed up, than to have no change off the bat because there is an easy out for a company to deny.

Last edited by sechsgang; 10-31-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:16 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

This is when there is something that you did that caused a direct issue and you're trying to hide it where that would be dishonest. If you were to change the cats and muffler (or even headers) and have a motor part have an issue, lets say cams or a crank and having nothing to do or remotely relatable to a freer breathing exhaust...I don't see the issue in not risking the red herring "car has been modified warranty claims denied" box without really deserving it. We are still talking about Magnussen moss here overall, but putting more of the onus on them to prove that something must have been done that changed XY or Z and caused a party failure. If companies didn't look for that easy out, it wouldn't even be a thought. Meanwhile, I've had exhaust on almost every one of my sports cars, and aside from a CEL that turned on in a 2011 gt3 rs because the cats blew out after time...there's NEVER been indication that would ever cause an issue, and all of them still covered under warranty.
the aftermarket exhaust vendors advertise changes in power and torque curves, which to me means the engine is then operating outside of the warrantied configuration; if an engine problem occurs I am not sure many have the technical expertise to determine if the change in the engine operating parameters was a contributing factor. I do understand the concern of the easy answer from the OEM, but thats where the law protects the consumer and OEMs do not want to go to court. If you go through the time, effort and expenses of swapping out the exhaust that implies the owner has a concern their mod has caused the issue. But I agree the risk is very low but its no zero either.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:29 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

the aftermarket exhaust vendors advertise changes in power and torque curves, which to me means the engine is then operating outside of the warrantied configuration; if an engine problem occurs I am not sure many have the technical expertise to determine if the change in the engine operating parameters was a contributing factor. I do understand the concern of the easy answer from the OEM, but thats where the law protects the consumer and OEMs do not want to go to court. If you go through the time, effort and expenses of swapping out the exhaust that implies the owner has a concern their mod has caused the issue. But I agree the risk is very low but its no zero either.
Yeah, and it's understood if you modify an engine or transmission that you're totally changing parameters as well...and thats on you. But for exhaust work, and especially exhaust work performed at a Porsche dealer (so they know it's been installed right and by their own certified techs)...it's beyond unlikely it's the root of anything short of a new rattle...
Old 10-31-2019, 08:23 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Default Exhaust Reversion

It's called exhaust reversion. Exhaust gases can and do flow back.
Originally Posted by Christian Plyler
I'm sure you're right about everything. Everything, that is, except the phrase, "ingested through one bank of cylinders." There is no way catalytic converter material found its way into any of the engine cylinders.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdrums:
ajw45 (11-04-2019), montoya (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:24 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,018 Likes on 645 Posts

Yeah, and it's understood if you modify an engine or transmission that you're totally changing parameters as well...and thats on you. But for exhaust work, and especially exhaust work performed at a Porsche dealer (so they know it's been installed right and by their own certified techs)...it's beyond unlikely it's the root of anything short of a new rattle...
Well unfortunately you’re wrong - as I reported above an acquaintance of mine had his warranty denied - Porsche were forensic and the offending items were fitted by the local dealer. Whether this is a 100:1 or a 1000:1 proposition is moot as it can happen and it does happen. That particular dealer no longer fits aftermarket parts. Also you will find dealers take photos of your car particularly if it has been modified in any way.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headers and voiding warranty.