Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 owners with no front lift, how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles7970
https://youtu.be/OnkREgIPWN0

Front lift saves me all the time look how close i get fully raised... Just sayin.
I don't understand, you're not at an angle here. FAL would only be saving you if you barely made it at an extreme angle.

That being said, there have been some inclines or small ramps in parking lots that I just couldn't take in the GT4, period, because the path was too narrow to get the right angle. I had to back out of a few hairy/embarrassing situations. My question for the people who said they didn't need FAL in SF or LA, do you go everywhere? Like strip malls with good hole in the wall restaurants, or small motels on a hill in Monterey that have weird parking lots before a track day?
Old 09-16-2019, 06:21 PM
DenaMezger
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I literally just watched a owner of a GT3 (Video above), reverse directly straight out of a driveway, in a front axle lift thread..... hahahaha
My F80 M3 is lower than anything and I've gotten out of the steepest driveways.

I come from an era of driving slammed race cars on the streets, so learning how to crawl out of a driveway is imperative.
FAL isn't a necessity, but a convenience. It shouldn't deter you from buying a car without it. I have seen a couple of 997 GT3's with the FAL broken and needed to be fixed. Lot more pricier of a replacement Cup lip.
The following users liked this post:
Bossing (09-17-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

no need. just be careful. and like others have said its replaceable and unless you really plow something hard like a parking stop thing then i have no idea how you would damage the actual bumper...

i think you said .1 but on my point 2 i have noticed in addition on steep inclines where the front scrapes, the rear diffuser fins scrape as well.

if its the perfect car for you, buy it.
catdog2 (08-07-2022)
Old 09-16-2019, 06:50 PM
Charles7970
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 48 Posts

That's the point, with FAL there's really no need to do any obnoxious angle turns.. while at the same time slowing down traffic behind you or the chance of someone rearending your a**.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

My '15 Gt3 did not have it and to be honest I got by just fine. FAL is nice to have just in case u need it i.e. trailering/towing.
Old 09-16-2019, 07:18 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
This is almost like a manual vs. PDK topic.

Listen man. I live in L. A.

I use it All the time. I think I was being conservative in the last thread. I probably use it at least 18-20 times per day in L. A. , O. C.

But here's the thing. If I found the perfect car, I would buy it. Don't take a pass because it doesn't have it.

Just take more time with your entry and exit and stock pile a couple extra front lips in your garage.

I'm on my 2nd front lip and I'm super careful.

Just don't let a car pass you by that doesn't have it if everything else the car is optioned with is what you want.
Well said and I fully agree.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
FAL repair cost and frequency of failure. When was the FAL first offered and are the cars now lower than pre FAL.
Speak english much?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
They are a waste of money and a liability if you want to own the car long term.

Really the only thing scraping is the replaceable $200. lip....
Respectfully disagree.
I would be worried more about the bumper flex as the lip just passes forces on to the bodywork. Especially if I had a PTS car where bumper flex could crack paint. Los Angeles has terrible roads.

Not sure where you are getting $200 from, but everywhere I look they are over $400 for OEM shipped
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU992GT3LIP.html

BTW, The FAL system on 997.2 was prone to failures which is why Porsche changed design and the 991.2 is far more reliable
Old 09-17-2019, 10:32 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
This is almost like a manual vs. PDK topic.

Listen man. I live in L. A.

I use it All the time. I think I was being conservative in the last thread. I probably use it at least 18-20 times per day in L. A. , O. C.

But here's the thing. If I found the perfect car, I would buy it. Don't take a pass because it doesn't have it.

Just take more time with your entry and exit and stock pile a couple extra front lips in your garage.

I'm on my 2nd front lip and I'm super careful.

Just don't let a car pass you by that doesn't have it if everything else the car is optioned with is what you want.
It’s funny how people have different experiences. I’m not disputing what u are saying, but I’m in OC, my gt3 is 4.5 years old/15k miles without FAL (I didn’t order it) and I’ve had no issues. I’m on my original plastic lip and it’s in excellent shape. Just have to approach dips and bumps at angles. My worst scraping occurred when I wasn’t expecting it, so FAL wouldn’t have helped. I would not order it again
Old 09-17-2019, 10:38 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

I did not get it nor would I now after scraping the bottom of my painted front lip. I was going to my Indy's shop and missed their driveway in the industrial complex they reside in so I did a quick u-turn in another drive, which did not look that steep. I wound up scraping it, like bottoming out kinda, on the way in and I never would have used the FAL if I had it. When I got home I used Black Gorilla tape along the entire edge, back to the wheel openngs, to prevent further damage albeit I should have done that to begin with. Two layers of tape would have been best and I could have peeled one off, just as racers with windscreen film do.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I did not get it nor would I now after scraping the bottom of my painted front lip. I was going to my Indy's shop and missed their driveway in the industrial complex they reside in so I did a quick u-turn in another drive, which did not look that steep. I wound up scraping it, like bottoming out kinda, on the way in and I never would have used the FAL if I had it. When I got home I used Black Gorilla tape along the entire edge, back to the wheel openngs, to prevent further damage albeit I should have done that to begin with. Two layers of tape would have been best and I could have peeled one off, just as racers with windscreen film do.
But you don’t own a GT3
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Charles7970
Instructor

Received 159 Likes on 48 Posts

all i'm going to say is if you own a GT3 without FAL and don't plan on keeping it for too long... good luck on that sale.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:50 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

True, but it was an option I could have ordered and the point is the same - they are not that much lower relatively speaking and most would scrape a GT3 or GTS if they did not take their time, angle approaches, etc.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

I used to order it on my first few GT cars, but stopped and have had 4-5 of these without FAL - not an issue
Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM
SDGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would rather not have the front lift and replace $200 front lips rather than have it and have to replace the components of it eventually. If you are just keeping the car for a couple years though, get the lift, it will help you especially around a place like LA. Not sure I would have that option make or break a purchase.
Never had it and never will. Live in Chicago where the roads are crap. Only scrap I had was at high speed dip on freeway and lift won't help there. Chin spoiler is 10 times less expensive than the system and no mechanical issues to deal with.
catdog2 (08-07-2022)

Quick Reply: GT3 owners with no front lift, how bad is it?