Sponsored by:

Gt3 Touring vs 430 Speciale vs 997.2 gt3 rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 10:50 AM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gt3 Touring vs 430 Speciale vs 997.2 gt3 rs

I presently have a gt3 touring which is a great comfortable car that does everything decently well. I can drive it anywhere , it’s reliable, it has one hell of a motor, manual gear box and my wife likes it. It’s not as as raw or exciting as I would like but maybe an exhaust can help that?

I am thinking of getting 430 scuderia (never owned a Ferrari) or a 997.2 gt3 rs as a possible replacement. Anybody owned any of two and have thoughts on this? Or should I just keep the touring which does everything pretty well.

This car would see weekend use, 95 percent street use and maybe 5 percent track. I also have some pretty raw cars like my integra type r and 964 Carrera 2 .
Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

For what it's worth, I have both a .2 GT3 manual and 360 Challenge Stradale and the GT3 is extremely domesticated compared to the stradale. Driving them back to back (as I am excited to do today) there is no comparison at all. One is a race car and one is a street car.
Not taking anything away from the GT3 by the way, it's incredibly impressive how it can access that level of performance while at the same time remaining streetable and downright comfortable. I daily drive my GT3 and love every second of it.
But if you want pure rawness, the Stradale and Scud are miles ahead.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:19 AM
Dougr743
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

A 430 scud with the manual tranny conversion would be the ultimate frenetic car. Not sure, but i am guessing a manual conversion is 70k
Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 430 Scuderia and a 458 Speciale. Scuderia is an awesome car if you get an exhaust valve switch installed. Since I have an incoming GT2 RS and also have a 16M I am thinking of selling it. Would be an expensive track car unless you swap out the cc rotors for steel one’s.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dougr743
A 430 scud with the manual tranny conversion would be the ultimate frenetic car. Not sure, but i am guessing a manual conversion is 70k
Not really, the superfast gearbox is the best single clutch gearbox period. The quick shifts above 5k with 75% throttle are exhilarating! Lamborghini should have modeled their Aventador gearbox after it. The performance of the car is enhanced by that gearbox.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mattyrae:
catdog2 (08-31-2019), David Godinho (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM
carbondan
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

^ Are you in Seattle? I don't think I've seen you around.
I would also agree that Scud F1 box is excellent. A giant step up over the 360CS box. Even modern Aventador single-clutch boxes aren't as good.
The following 2 users liked this post by carbondan:
catdog2 (08-31-2019), David Godinho (09-01-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:39 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Video of the black one I used to own with Capristo headers and RSC exhaust
Attached Files
Old 08-31-2019, 11:39 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 354 Posts

Can't help you with 430 vs. 997 GT3 but when compared to 991.2 GT3RS, the 430 is more raw, loud, less "perfect" and more analog. It's an absolute hoot to drive but it's an older car, so more squeaks few rattles and less advanced gearbox. But when it's nice and warmed up, its a unique screaming experience which is less exquisitely controlled when compared to GT3 but in my mind, incomparable. When you get back in the GT3 it feels more "perfect", a little more chunky, controls are less delicate/sensitive, and it feels more like an incredibly capable workhorse. Now even after a little while the 430 gets a bit tiring so I can imagine the scud would be even more frenetic and with stiffer suspension, less all-around capable (you can soften shocks setting dramatically in 430 by choosing rain mode on manetino).
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

My 16M with S-Line x-pipe exhaust vs. my 670 SV with LNB stage 2
Attached Files
Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by catdog2
Can't help you with 430 vs. 997 GT3 but when compared to 991.2 GT3RS, the 430 is more raw, loud, less "perfect" and more analog. It's an absolute hoot to drive but it's an older car, so more squeaks few rattles and less advanced gearbox. But when it's nice and warmed up, its a unique screaming experience which is less exquisitely controlled when compared to GT3 but in my mind, incomparable. When you get back in the GT3 it feels more "perfect", a little more chunky, controls are less delicate/sensitive, and it feels more like an incredibly capable workhorse. Now even after a little while the 430 gets a bit tiring so I can imagine the scud would be even more frenetic and with stiffer suspension, less all-around capable (you can soften shocks setting dramatically in 430 by choosing rain mode on manetino).
In the Scuderia you just press the shock button, which softens the suspension. I drive all my Ferrari’s in the soft mode, unless I am really pushing a car. Best combo, Race mode with soft suspension, that’s how Michael Schumacher, who helped with the design, preferred to drive it.
The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (08-31-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by carbondan
^ Are you in Seattle? I don't think I've seen you around.
I would also agree that Scud F1 box is excellent. A giant step up over the 360CS box. Even modern Aventador single-clutch boxes aren't as good.
No Kennewick. I bought Jason Tang’s Scuderia a few years back, when he went to a 12C Spider.

I have brought a few of my cars over the years to ERTC.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:51 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
In the Scuderia you just press the shock button, which softens the suspension. I drive all my Ferrari’s in the soft mode, unless I am really pushing a car. Best combo, Race mode with soft suspension, that’s how Michael Schumacher, who helped with the design, preferred to drive it.
excellent point, I think that started after F430 with Scud and it is best of both worlds because rain mode slips clutch more and does not open exhaust valve/dulls throttle response (all slightly)
Old 08-31-2019, 11:58 AM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Originally Posted by catdog2
excellent point, I think that started after F430 with Scud and it is best of both worlds because rain mode slips clutch more and does not open exhaust valve/dulls throttle response (all slightly)
The modes really don’t open the exhaust valves any more or less. Without an exhaust valve switch the valves stay closed up to 3k rpm, so you are always hearing them open close, open close, really annoying. Ferrari of Seattle used the blank left of the steering wheel and added a Sport switch from a Ferrari 360, which allows the valves to be open all the time. The factory is so far behind other brands, this should be standard on all new Ferrari’s, R8’s have it, Porsche has it, ridiculous Ferrari makes you go to Capristo or other aftermarket. With the exhaust fully open it transforms the car, downshifts are now fully heard, not muffled.

Need one next for my F12.
Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
The modes really don’t open the exhaust valves any more or less. Without an exhaust valve switch the valves stay closed up to 3k rpm, so you are always hearing them open close, open close, really annoying. Ferrari of Seattle used the blank left of the steering wheel and added a Sport switch from a Ferrari 360, which allows the valves to be open all the time. The factory is so far behind other brands, this should be standard on all new Ferrari’s, R8’s have it, Porsche has it, ridiculous Ferrari makes you go to Capristo or other aftermarket. With the exhaust fully open it transforms the car, downshifts are now fully heard, not muffled.

Need one next for my F12.
I get your point but in a stock F430, that annoying exhaust valve open/close cycle which happens in sport and race mode above 3k rpm/larger throttle opening gets attenuated/eliminated in rain mode..
You can get a small electronic controller that you can control with bluetooth to keep valves open/closed. The transition is annoying but you get used to it and can use it to your advantage to keep exhaust quiet in city/etc without changing your entire exhaust. If you want it loud at all times, you can disconnect vacuum lines (easy access) and plug ends for later reattachment. Stock exhaust with valves open is plenty loud... (in my opinion)

But to get back to original post intent.. I would say get the F-Car but it's not a replacement, more like a supplement to a GT3 in all its variants (touring, pdk or RS)...Different universe. If you get rid of GT3 you will miss it, the F-Car is not a perfect replacement and that will leave you missing your GT3...
Old 08-31-2019, 12:06 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by porschejonno
I presently have a gt3 touring which is a great comfortable car that does everything decently well. I can drive it anywhere , it’s reliable, it has one hell of a motor, manual gear box and my wife likes it. It’s not as as raw or exciting as I would like but maybe an exhaust can help that?

I am thinking of getting 430 scuderia (never owned a Ferrari) or a 997.2 gt3 rs as a possible replacement. Anybody owned any of two and have thoughts on this? Or should I just keep the touring which does everything pretty well.

This car would see weekend use, 95 percent street use and maybe 5 percent track. I also have some pretty raw cars like my integra type r and 964 Carrera 2 .

Throw a JCR race pipe on your GT3. It will make it a lot more exciting. The car is pretty tame without an exhaust.

Quick Reply: Gt3 Touring vs 430 Speciale vs 997.2 gt3 rs