Sponsored by:

Gt3 Touring vs 430 Speciale vs 997.2 gt3 rs

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 07:56 PM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by porschejonno
Thanks for all the feedback. So for anyone that has owned the 997.2 gt3 rs and the scuderia which one to choose? How is the reliability of one?
Ferrari is like any car, more you drive it, better it is. My friend has almost 90k miles on his 458. No issues, only tire changes and brake pads.

If you get to Las Vegas Exotics Racing has both. I would think the RS and GT3 touring would be too much the same.

If you are near Wash State feel free to come drive my Scuderia.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:16 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Do u like vanilla or chocolate. Both great cars.
They aren’t in the same league. I drove a 997.2gt3rs and a scuderia when I was shopping. Gt3rs is an amazing built machine just like 991.1gt3 all the way to 991.2 gt3rs, they’re all on similar spectrum imo

ferrari Scud in an actual racecar that zaps ur adrenal glands like ur bungie jumping, you’ll never get that feeling in any porsche I’ve ever driven.... to make the porsche people feel better i will tell u that Ferrari’s are built way worse.

but u pay for it as ferraris have a lot go wrong, but imo soul in a car is everything in fun and special-ness NOT practicality. You could make 10000000 gt3’s or rs’s and people COULD drive them. The scud is so intense most just wouldn’t drive it. It’s an event and very over dramatic
The following 2 users liked this post by welikethetrack:
Mattyrae (08-31-2019), Perimeter (09-06-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 09:26 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,097 Likes on 544 Posts

^^^I own a scud. I agree it's one of the most emotional cars I've ever driven. Agree with u there.

991 and 997 dramatically different machines imo. Love them both but way diff vehicles. 997 and scud much more analogue and raw experiences. Yes, scud is smash-u-in-face drama; one of most dramatic drives you can get. RS's are drama but as much about balance and poise. Only Porsche I've owned with Ferrari-level drama (more, actually) is CGT. RS recipe is more subtlety nuanced. But, it's got layers. Scud is a little more smash-mouth on/off drama. Love em both.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:40 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I'm in the minority but I'd actually take a scud over a speciale. I think speciale is more hype than reality. Take away the "last na v8" thing and not sure it's so special. Scud is a giggle box with the noises and feedback that machine gives you. 997rs is just one of those cars that has so many things come together and meld perfectly. It's just "right". Goldilocks.
The following users liked this post:
Mattyrae (09-02-2019)
Old 08-31-2019, 10:23 PM
Mattyrae
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I'm in the minority but I'd actually take a scud over a speciale. I think speciale is more hype than reality. Take away the "last na v8" thing and not sure it's so special. Scud is a giggle box with the noises and feedback that machine gives you. 997rs is just one of those cars that has so many things come together and meld perfectly. It's just "right". Goldilocks.
I have both. I drive my 16M the most, Speciale the least. Speciale really needs a louder exhaust, exhaust valve switch is not enough. I also don’t like the artificial gearshift kick Ferrari adds between shift on the DCT. Actually moves the front end a bit. Annoying.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:55 PM
porschejonno
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mattyrae
Ferrari is like any car, more you drive it, better it is. My friend has almost 90k miles on his 458. No issues, only tire changes and brake pads.

If you get to Las Vegas Exotics Racing has both. I would think the RS and GT3 touring would be too much the same.

If you are near Wash State feel free to come drive my Scuderia.

Wow thank you for the offer! will keep that mind if I am ever in area. I’m leaning more towards the scuderia but might need to figure a way to get both. I really like the reliability, balance of the 997.2 gt3 rs but something about the scuderia. Or maybe just keep the touring and get the scuderia and clear out some other cars.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:11 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by drdonger
Throw a JCR race pipe on your GT3. It will make it a lot more exciting. The car is pretty tame without an exhaust.
Not fitting an exhaust on the 4.0 is criminal in my opinion. Different world!

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I dd a 19 gt3rs and have a scuderia, a 993, and an m4. The scuderia is literally a formula 1 car, and the others are street cars i can also track. it’s incredibly loud, incredibly dramatic, feels very light, and just has so much character and the superfast 2 gearbox is legendary and I’m a diehard manual guy. It would be criminal to put a manual in that car. It feels like at full throttle when u up shift ur pulling the trigger on a 20 gauge shotgun

You def want a normal car, but if u can get a “fun” car it’s not even a question, get a scud. After driving it hard for 20 minutes my adrenal glands are zapped, its like I went to the track.

However ferraris feel very fragile, they aren’t build anywhere near the quality level Porsche’s are, but that’s kind of what gives them character and they really do have a lot more soul imo. Just a very dramatic car
If you want a fun and reliable car you can daily it’s the Porsche GT3/RS.

I have driven a 430 but never a scud. Sounds incredible but delicate.

If you want
Old 09-01-2019, 04:28 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
I dd a 19 gt3rs and have a scuderia, a 993, and an m4. The scuderia is literally a formula 1 car, and the others are street cars i can also track. it’s incredibly loud, incredibly dramatic, feels very light, and just has so much character and the superfast 2 gearbox is legendary and I’m a diehard manual guy. It would be criminal to put a manual in that car. It feels like at full throttle when u up shift ur pulling the trigger on a 20 gauge shotgun

You def want a normal car, but if u can get a “fun” car it’s not even a question, get a scud. After driving it hard for 20 minutes my adrenal glands are zapped, its like I went to the track.

However ferraris feel very fragile, they aren’t build anywhere near the quality level Porsche’s are, but that’s kind of what gives them character and they really do have a lot more soul imo. Just a very dramatic car
Love this reply. I see the scud in the same light as you do..
Old 09-01-2019, 05:43 PM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougr743
A 430 scud with the manual tranny conversion would be the ultimate frenetic car. Not sure, but i am guessing a manual conversion is 70k

Listen to that noise!

Old 09-01-2019, 05:52 PM
RSUV
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts

I have owned a CS and currently still own a Speciale which I have had from new and have put 13,000 fast road miles on. I also have had a .1 RS (my first RS) and now a .2 RS. I am familiar with the Scud but never actually owned one. IMO this is not a zero sum game and these two genres are not comparable, despite the fact they are supposed to be built for the same thing. Saying one is more practical, the other is more exotic just doesn’t cover it.

The RS is a much worse daily driver than any of the Ferraris because of its less-forgiving suspension. The soft setting in all the Ferraris is much more compliant than any setting in any RS. If you have the 918 seats they are much harder to get in and out of than the Ferrari Goldrake racing seats. With the EU clubsport pack you can’t use the space in the rear, leaving the smaller-than-Ferrari luggage space in the front. If I had to daily the RS it would be a real chore with British broken roads.

Speciale deserves every accolade thrown at it in my view and is a much better car than the CS and Scud. The extra power, even more wonderful engine and the car’s playfulness plus outstanding chassis - better than the 360/430 platform - make for a truly wonderful machine stock v stock. I have had more fun in that car than any other I have ever owned and by quite a margin. The Scud is less sophisticated - some say this adds ‘rawness’ but this is misleading - with the Speciale being one of those cars that just comes together right. Its throttle response is like no other car I know and combined with the DCT gearbox, which feels relentless and unburstable, unlike the excellent superfast II ‘box in the Scud which is hyperactive but gives a less robust feeling, for me, the Speciale has the perfect name.

The best reason to own an RS is not because you can’t afford a Ferrari IMO. The purity and heritage of the 911 and its RS variants is as top-drawer as it gets. A heritage on the same level as Ferrari but in a different, let’s call it less exotic package. The RS is more unique than the special Ferraris. No one else makes a rear engined 4 to 500 hp sports car. There are many who make a mid engined V8 supercar. The fact that the RS can go around the track, in particular the Nurburgring at similar pace to its generational equivalent from Maranello speaks of the genius of Porsche and that illogical rear-engined layout. For the driver, it’s a different feeling completely and if you love cars it’s hard not to want to experience it in the best iteration (choose your own version but for me it’s the 3RS). This September, and for the first time, I will take an RS on an annual road trip with Ferrari friends and leave my own Ferraris in the garage. If I were only able to have one it would be the Speciale - I love the mid layout more than I love the V12s or the rear layout. But the 911 is so special as a concept and so effective at the art of driving fast that it’s hard to ignore. Our trip this year is to the Black Forest and a visit to the Porsche museum. All Ferraris and McLarens.....and a solitary Porsche. But I don’t think I will have too much narrower a smile even if my back is bit stiffer.

Scud or RS? You have to try them both at some point if you can. But don’t bother to compare them.
The following 2 users liked this post by RSUV:
apexgao (01-24-2022), David Godinho (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^yep, somewhat apples and oranges
Old 09-01-2019, 08:11 PM
David Godinho
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 14 Posts

I own a Scuderia and a Speciale. Love them both but they’re worlds apart in experience and feeling. If I want a quick shot of adrenaline, the Scuderia is perfect. The way you vibrate with the car, everything is transmitted to the driver, it’s just pure. Speciale feels more grown up, and clearly much much faster and better at pretty much everything. Scuderia’s gearbox is it’s best feature.
Reliability has been amazing on both. Scuderia is just over 10k miles and the Speciale around 6k miles.
Surprisingly the car that has more niggles is my 996 C4S, currently at 50k miles.
I have the .2 or .3 3RS coming and I don’t really know if it will be comparable to the Ferraris when it comes to emotions. I’m sure I’ll love it though.
I keep saying this: no petrolhead should die without experiencing a Scuderia, and the Scuderia is the bargain of the supercar world.
carbondan (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I've argued with a few Porsche die-hards that Scud is undervalued in a world of over-inflated car values.
Mattyrae (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:31 PM
dewilmoth
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 83 Posts

I was leaning towards grabbing a .1 GT3RS as the values continue dropping, but now I'm feeling like a Scuderia needs to be considered. So many great cars and so little time/money!
Old 09-02-2019, 07:51 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by porschejonno
I presently have a gt3 touring which is a great comfortable car that does everything decently well. I can drive it anywhere , it’s reliable, it has one hell of a motor, manual gear box and my wife likes it. It’s not as as raw or exciting as I would like but maybe an exhaust can help that?

I am thinking of getting 430 scuderia (never owned a Ferrari) or a 997.2 gt3 rs as a possible replacement. Anybody owned any of two and have thoughts on this? Or should I just keep the touring which does everything pretty well.

This car would see weekend use, 95 percent street use and maybe 5 percent track. I also have some pretty raw cars like my integra type r and 964 Carrera 2 .
If you have an itr, just get the Scuderia, it's just a much more exciting road car. Just do the exhaust valve mod and enjoy it. For actual driving/ragging a cae full wot pleasure that itr will give you everything you want and need, and for the 911 experience the 964 is the one. Just get the Scuderia you will not regret it, never met anyone who owned one that didn't loved it. A lot of them are picking one again now.
The following 2 users liked this post by RennOracle:
David Godinho (09-02-2019), Mattyrae (09-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Gt3 Touring vs 430 Speciale vs 997.2 gt3 rs