Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*New* DSC V3 for 991.2 GT3/RS with FAL

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 01:52 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,193 Likes on 575 Posts

I added the DSC to my Touring back in July and it really is noticeable. It is subtle but the differences are very, very real. I really appreciate the modularity of it. You can tweak the settings exactly to your taste. When I had a concern (I felt that the turn-in was a little mushy in the Touring mode), I emailed DSC and I received a very prompt and thorough reply. The suggestions were spot-on and I have not modified it since. If I had to make one "criticism," it would be that the program is not compatible with Apple. I have only Apple computers. My work-around for this was to use the PC interface on my MacBook Air. It took some time to get that up and running, but once I did, I was able to use the program perfectly by simply plugging the cable into my laptop computer while sitting in the driver's seat. Like others, I left the cable attached to the controller and tucked away where it is not visible and it does not rattle. Much easier than having to dismantle the "back seat" every time I want to make a modification. Not that I need to make any modifications, as it is hard to improve upon perfection. To put it simply, the chassis just seems more dialed in and more dynamic with the DSC. It responds to your driving inputs, unlike the factory system, which is hammer meet nail.
Old 12-29-2020, 02:12 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by wmond
Anyone else care to share their experience with the DSC v3 controller? I’ve read all the threads, feedback is anywhere from “transformative” to “meh”. I’m seriously considering it, it have not made a decision. And I’m in no rush, even though I drive the car all winter, no track events until April at the earliest. My perspective is that I like the way the car drives now, I don’t think it’s too hard on the street, and track, well, we all now how it performs there. Would love to hear anyone else’s thoughts, please, if you have one. Very much on the fence for this....
I added the DSC to my 991.2 TT earlier this year, running the GT3 Touring calibration file. In a nutshell, my car now feels like it's running SPASM at stock ride height - great improvement from the original controller
Old 12-29-2020, 03:20 AM
Nein11RS
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

@r00t61 would you mind elaborating on the "GT3 Touring calibration file"? It sounds like you can load to the DSC Controller different maps, for lack of a better term, is that the case? If so, is there a list somewhere that I can reference?
Old 12-29-2020, 04:45 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein11RS
@r00t61 would you mind elaborating on the "GT3 Touring calibration file"? It sounds like you can load to the DSC Controller different maps, for lack of a better term, is that the case? If so, is there a list somewhere that I can reference?
Reference info here:

https://www.dscsport.com/software-2/

https://www.dscsport.com/calibration-files/
The following users liked this post:
Nein11RS (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 12:21 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

@DSC Sport this product is well-reviewed and I would like to get one; looks like you are still working on back orders. Would you mind updating this space when these are back in stock?
Old 12-29-2020, 02:50 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 205 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Nein11RS
@DSC Sport this product is well-reviewed and I would like to get one; looks like you are still working on back orders. Would you mind updating this space when these are back in stock?
Good to preorder a unit, I will let you know when they restock.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 12-29-2020, 04:08 PM
Nein11RS
Advanced

@Meraki Autoworks I prefer to wait until these are back in stock.
Meraki Autoworks (12-30-2020)
Old 04-21-2021, 10:36 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

How is the controller used? Maybe I've missed it but I looked through the website and I can't find anything on the actual operation of the controller. I have a 2018 GT3 6spd.....

What does DSC do when with nothing pressed?

What does it do with the Sport button pressed?

What does it do with the PASM button pressed?

Old 04-21-2021, 12:41 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 951 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by gmorat
How is the controller used? Maybe I've missed it but I looked through the website and I can't find anything on the actual operation of the controller. I have a 2018 GT3 6spd.....
There's so much info on the DSC V3 controller across many different threads in different car model sections in this forum alone... Here's the elevator pitch- DSC uses advanced control algorithm developed from years of collected data from racing/winning GT3 Cup cars to actively adjust individual dampers in the car in real time to optimize grip and stability to the car/driver's input. As a result, road comfort is also improved when the driver is just leisurely cruising since the input activity is near zero in this particular condition. DSC has been available in the market for the 991 platform since 2014 with many rave reviews.

​​
What does DSC do when with nothing pressed?
DSC does what its designed to do in both suspension modes(the suspension modes are Normal and Sport), which is command each suspension damper on the car individually to the driver's input to optimize weight distribution within the dynamic operating range of each mode.
Suspension mode is selected by pushing the button that has the suspension damper symbol on it.
LED OFF is Normal Suspension mode. DSC Normal mode has a dynamic operating range of 1% to 100%.
LED On is Sport Suspension mode. DSC Sport mode has a dynamic operating range of 15% to 100%
The command always starts at the minimum % value in each mode while a load(g-force) is present, the harder you drive the more driving load(higher g-force) is created, DSC commands the dampers to be stiffer to counter the increasing load in real time for a truly active(or dynamic) driving experience.

​​
What does it do with the Sport button pressed?
The "SPORT" button is for the engine/gearbox mapping, and PDK mapping(if equipped with PDK) or rev matching with manual gearbox.

​​
What does it do with the PASM button pressed?
One some model cars by pushing the SPORT(engine/gearbox mapping)button it bundle selects the Sport suspension mode.
With DSC installed the suspension mode becomes independent from engine mode selection so it doesn't bundle select. DSC remember the suspension mode last used.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

Brian Himmelman (08-15-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 08:33 PM
David Borden
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Is the hardware different between a 991.2 GT3 with FAL and a regular 991.2 or GT3 991.2 without FAL? My stock controller is 991.618.450.54. I have a buddy with a non FAL DSC V3 for a 991.2 and he was willing to let me borrow it to see how I liked it.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:50 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by David Borden
Is the hardware different between a 991.2 GT3 with FAL and a regular 991.2 or GT3 991.2 without FAL? My stock controller is 991.618.450.54. I have a buddy with a non FAL DSC V3 for a 991.2 and he was willing to let me borrow it to see how I liked it.
Since Oct 2019 all DSC V3 controllers have FAL compatibility built-in.
Even on the earlier units without the FAL compatibility built-in the damper commands do work as intended, and the FAL works too, its just that an fault message comes on only when FAL is activated because the earlier units doesn't have a feedback loop built-in for this particular function.
David Borden (04-28-2021)
Old 04-13-2023, 05:59 PM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Bumping this thread to clarify my options on getting the DSC on my 2019 GT3R with FAL.

I had the unit shown below in my 2019 GTS which did not have FAL and I am pretty sure I purchased before the FAL compatible unit released.

Do I need to buy a new unit? I don’t want to have messages popping up every time I use FAL

🙏

Old 04-13-2023, 07:00 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Bumping this thread to clarify my options on getting the DSC on my 2019 GT3R with FAL.

I had the unit shown below in my 2019 GTS which did not have FAL and I am pretty sure I purchased before the FAL compatible unit released.

Do I need to buy a new unit? I don’t want to have messages popping up every time I use FAL

🙏
If you install an older pre-FAL controller in a 991.2 RS with FAL it will trigger a FAL error message on the dashboard when FAL is activated. The error should cancel out with key off. The pre-FAL controllers were designed for non-FAL cars.

Ideally you should get a new DSC controller that is compatible with FAL for your 991.2 RS. Also a new 2023 controller will have better performance and refinement over a 2018 controller as a result of newer technology and evolved tuning techniques. New controllers have been on backorder since February, should be available first week of May.

Last edited by Tom@TPC Racing; 04-14-2023 at 10:26 AM.
Larry Cable (04-14-2023)

Quick Reply: *New* DSC V3 for 991.2 GT3/RS with FAL