991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2019 | 04:52 AM
1q2w3e4r
Instructor

My view is get the RS, you'll be able to step up / graduate into it and when you get quick you won't wonder if the people further up the time sheet are faster or not because of equipment
The following users liked this post:
superdog (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:27 AM
twist-a-grip
Intermediate

I’d do 2-3 racing schools to learn car control. That $10k is worth way more than tracking a lame Miata for a few years while you suffer from separation anxiety from the RS sitting in the garage. These schools separate the men from the boys - either you have it or you don’t - it will be quite obvious. Then you can judge what comfort level you’d have driving a beast like the RS. I went through this process a few years ago with a handful of friends - 2 of us were the best in the 1st program and the other 4 were scared ****less and couldn’t get out of there fast enough. My buddy and I finished up the next two programs and my current track car has 650 hp and I feel just as comfortable in it as I did the 150hp formula or spec Miata cars from race school.

Also, why would you keep a Targa over 458? If you end up getting the RS (seems inevitable), the RS/458 combo is way cooler and more diverse, not to mention the 458 will likely depreciates less.
Jon D (09-06-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:49 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

There are a lot of ways to scratch that itch. As others mentioned a good instructor in the passenger seat on track will advance you further over solo track driving in any car. When track days become boring then rent some seat time with a lemons team. Wheel to wheel racing is another level. Even when driving a junker.
superdog (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:49 AM
superdog
Racer

Some really great comments here.

In regard to keeping the targa over the 458, I just like it better. I’m surprised by this too. But imho, it’s a way better car. I’ve also always loved the look and styling of the targa. In fact, it’s because I like the targa as much as I do, that I’m now pushing to get into another Porsche. The only other thing I might do, is nothing and keep the current line up while adding a track car. Which might just be a GT4 as it appears it might be the best blend of everything I’m looking for.

In regard to depreciation, I’m sure I’m wrong here because the 458 has already taken its hits, but I keep hearing how the targa is rare and hard to get. It’s also a manual. I have delusions that it’ll hold value pretty well. Pics below.

I also agree on the track school. I’m fine spending the 10k on that and then making a decision. I’m not in a huge rush.

Ive actually got an appointment today with my instructor. We are going to go over the game plan. And this guy is a no BS type dude. My guess is I’ll ultimately follow his lead.

MI’m also looking at an rs today. Just to see if this is something I’d really like to do.

I love the 458. It’s incredible. But in terms of drivability, it’s not even comparable to the Targa. I’m far more confident in the Porsche. Still not sure I can part with it.

But hey, all this speculation has been fun. I’m having a blast. So thanks for the comments fellas.
Old 08-30-2019 | 08:51 AM
superdog
Racer

Pic of the targa
HelpMeHelpU (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 09:42 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Whatever car you buy, invest heavily in safety. For sure get a harness bar, six points and a HANS. It's dangerous out there esp. as you get faster and move to the intermediate group.
The following 3 users liked this post by tstafford:
HelpMeHelpU (08-30-2019), robmypro (08-31-2019), superdog (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 11:27 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superdog
Pretty certain I won’t have much interest in it after a short while. I’ve learned I’m rarely dissatisfied when I go with the best.
This is the conundrum. I started out in 2013 with slower cars and spent way more money on cars & mods getting to a GT3 then I needed too and I am still not fast. If I had just gotten the GT3 initially and spent the rest of the $ on instructors I would be a lot faster. The slippery slope here is once you're hooked you will always want a better faster car. I do think Joe has struck the perfect balance with the spec Miata and the 3RS though.
HelpMeHelpU (08-30-2019)
Old 08-30-2019 | 11:30 AM
bhf_clt
Racer

Ok, shameless plug here. If you're looking for a track-ready car, you're going to have a tough time beating my .1 GT3 I put on the market earlier this week.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1158292
The following 2 users liked this post by bhf_clt:
HelpMeHelpU (08-30-2019), twist-a-grip (08-30-2019)
Old 08-31-2019 | 01:41 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Keep the GTS. It's beautiful. Can't think of a better road car.

Lots of good advice already. Not sure what else I an add other than I agree that starting out in a lower powered car will yield huge benefits in acquiring real driving skills. I also think I would have killed myself if I had started with a GT3. It took me a lot of track time and several cars to be able to appreciate how much trouble it could get me into if my ego got ahead of my skills. Maybe you have much better impulse control; I didn't. I like going fast and testing limits. Much better to do it initially in a slower car. My first Cayman S taught me a lot. I 2nd Joe's recommendation there. You could buy one, track it and sell it for near nothing. Make sure you just get an '09+ since they are very track ready out of the box. Also agree with adding safety equipment before all the other crap many track addicts add before (exhaust, suspension, DSC boxes, etc, etc. etc).
Old 08-31-2019 | 05:47 PM
superdog
Racer

Okay folks. It’s been a fun few days obsessing over cars.

And Ive literally debated everything.

I’m now between a 2010 Cayman S or a 2016 Miata. Likely going Miata for the newer car.

First order of business is roll cage, seats, belts and all safety gear.

I did drive a GT3. Wow. What a car. But not willing to part with the 458. In fact, I’ll be bringing that to the next track day in about a month. Might as well text it out.

I agree with many comments saying I should start slow. It took me a while to get here though.

So I likely now have this in the wrong area. Maybe even the wrong forum. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was super helpful.
Old 09-01-2019 | 01:16 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Perfect example of slow car fast, fast car fail.
Old 09-01-2019 | 10:17 AM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
https://youtu.be/KGwjn9H5Li0

Perfect example of slow car fast, fast car fail.
I wonder the details behind that.

but how about a fast car, meets faster car. Lmao.
Old 09-01-2019 | 10:42 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Okay folks. It’s been a fun few days obsessing over cars.

And Ive literally debated everything.

I’m now between a 2010 Cayman S or a 2016 Miata. Likely going Miata for the newer car.

First order of business is roll cage, seats, belts and all safety gear.

I did drive a GT3. Wow. What a car. But not willing to part with the 458. In fact, I’ll be bringing that to the next track day in about a month. Might as well text it out.

I agree with many comments saying I should start slow. It took me a while to get here though.

So I likely now have this in the wrong area. Maybe even the wrong forum. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It was super helpful.
Go with the cayman. Unless it's a global mx5 cup, a Street miata will bore you to death and I've been told the new ND street miatas aren't great on track. Plus you'll have to waste a lot of time and money on modifications. The cayman will only need gt3 lower control arms and that is it.
Old 09-01-2019 | 10:46 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

I wonder the details behind that.

but how about a fast car, meets faster car. Lmao.
Yes. Better description. :-)

Looks to me like the RS, overshot and didn't account for the lower speed he needed to enter the corner by being off line and that caused a whole bunch of other issues entering a complex corner.
Old 09-01-2019 | 11:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Interesting. Even though it’s a Targa?

ive been told it’s not an ideal track car
Your Targa is better then 90% of the cars in the beginners group.
Go slow and enjoy the process.
Buy upgrades and cars as you need them.

Im still sticking to what I would do, is the most fun course of action.
This is the beginning, loads of car repair, mods, upgrades, track cars, tow vehicles and trailers in your future.
It’s like shoveling $100 dollar bills into the fire place. No need to hurry.
phefner (09-05-2019)

Quick Reply: Track Car Advice