Sponsored by:

Track Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:50 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
It’s like shoveling $100 dollar bills into the fire place.
Yep

The following users liked this post:
phefner (09-05-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 12:01 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mr965
I'd say take the 458 out a few times to enjoy the Ferraritista rev limit.
My next run with be in the 458.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:05 PM
tlisotta
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I started with a 997.1 base car which I think is a great compromise - fast enough and not boring. You can pick them up relatively inexpensive and mod them. This gets you used to a rear engine car if that is your goal. I then went to a 350R Shelby for a year or so and got used to high HP. I just sold it and got a 991.1 GT3 (Dream Car). I think progressing up like that helped a lot. Of course, I am sure starting off in a slower car than a 997.1 base could have been the direction. I am a weekend warrior - driving to the track and back home. When I took the .1 GT3 this week for the first time to the track - felt right at home. Fantastic car and a blast. The engine warranty is unreal. I am definitely hooked on the Porsche platform.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 PM
jorligan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Good choice on the Cayman or Mazda. We always forget about operating costs, both will be MUCH cheaper than the GT3 and can be very fast except for the straightaways. There is a reason they are referred to as "pesky Miata" I started in an 06 Cayman which I still own and use on the track and run in the advanced group. With the exception of the straightaways, I keep up and push the high HP cars even at high speed tracks like Road America.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:26 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,888 Likes on 1,892 Posts

https://www.dirtfish.com/advanced-ra...ograms-all-in/

instant driving skill - no risk - you will be faster when you get back - you can thank me later.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Go with the cayman. Unless it's a global mx5 cup, a Street miata will bore you to death and I've been told the new ND street miatas aren't great on track. Plus you'll have to waste a lot of time and money on modifications. The cayman will only need gt3 lower control arms and that is it.
+1
Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Your Targa is better then 90% of the cars in the beginners group.
Go slow and enjoy the process.
Buy upgrades and cars as you need them.

Im still sticking to what I would do, is the most fun course of action.
This is the beginning, loads of car repair, mods, upgrades, track cars, tow vehicles and trailers in your future.
It’s like shoveling $100 dollar bills into the fire place. No need to hurry.
+100,000
Old 09-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Miata isn’t enough, RS is too much. But stick with Porsche. So some sort of Cayman would be good, preferably with non-R tires. After at least dozens of track days, move up to 991.1 GT3 if you’re willing to spend substantial dollars per track day. Don’t track the targa or 458, the track is too abusive and they deserve to be pampered.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:07 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 65 Posts

Very nice Targa
Stick with Porsche for DE cars. Reliability and good brakes are key and there is no other brand providing this out of the box like P.

Then...
GT4 gets my vote
I DEd 991.1 GT3, 991.1 RS, GT4 and 991.2 GT3 and by far, the GT4 is the easiest to learn and safest to push to the limit. Awesome platform that you will like for years to come
Old 09-02-2019, 12:21 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Miata isn’t enough, RS is too much. But stick with Porsche. So some sort of Cayman would be good, preferably with non-R tires. After at least dozens of track days, move up to 991.1 GT3 if you’re willing to spend substantial dollars per track day. Don’t track the targa or 458, the track is too abusive and they deserve to be pampered.
I agree. I have a 2014 Cayman S that I bought for my 25 year old son to come to the track with me. I have driven it as well and it's a great little track car. We did a X73 suspension, slotted brakes, extra radiator and headers/tune. Runs like a champ. We are going to be selling it though since my son decided to buy a Camaro SS 1LE. I'm in it about $60k and probably will sell for around $50k. 22k miles if someone here is interested. Yellow manual with ventilated seats.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:53 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I agree. I have a 2014 Cayman S that I bought for my 25 year old son to come to the track with me. I have driven it as well and it's a great little track car. We did a X73 suspension, slotted brakes, extra radiator and headers/tune. Runs like a champ. We are going to be selling it though since my son decided to buy a Camaro SS 1LE. I'm in it about $60k and probably will sell for around $50k. 22k miles if someone here is interested. Yellow manual with ventilated seats.
Great car and price.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Corvette C7 ZR1

Throw caution to the ******* wind.
You do make me laugh!. LOL.

Ok. Here is my 2 cents.

If you want to get into track days and are hooked just remember this is a sport where its not a matter of "if" but "when" chit goes wrong and you are flat bedding it home if you are pushing to improve and get faster. Otherwise you just aren't trying.

Porsche's are great track cars but more expensive to fix and insure for the track.

It's hard to take advice when you start picturing yourself as Patrick Pilet in a Cup car at the track. I get it.

Start with something less expensive. Spec Miata. Honda S2000.

You want more power (don't really need it to learn but...) get a used 2012/2013 Boss 302 and drive it to the track and drive it home. Camaro SS 1LE.

All the above are great track cars and have seat for a coach. Inexpensive to buy and fix.

As you improve so will your speeds.

I started with a stock 2012 Boss 302 back in 2013. Progressed by going to more and more track events. Then took the 5 day Bertil Roos race school.

I am in the camp that if you are committed to the sport you should maximize the safety aspects of the car before performance mods.

Best safety mod is to eventually buy a committed race car fully caged, fire system etc...Doesn't have to be Porsche to go fast and have fun.

Eventually went from street mustangs for DE's to these. Safety first then speed.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:53 PM
Cadaver
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 47 Posts

When I made the decision to make the jump to get into wheel to wheel racing I was hell bent on getting into a 500hp car like my M4 GTS or the car that followed, .2 GT3. Started looking at competition race cars like vipers, vettes, and 996/7 GT3 cups. Then someone said.... “when you wreck a spec boxster at speed, you will realize it’s plenty fast”

i bought a well sorted 99 Boxster that had podiums in NASA ST4 and WRL. Honestly, I couldn’t be happier. It more enjoyable, and chopped the learning curve in half considering the fear of wrecking a $150k car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cadaver:
daveo4porsche (09-02-2019), tstafford (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:32 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadaver
Then someone said.... “when you wreck a spec boxster at speed, you will realize it’s plenty fast”
This might be signature worthy!
The following 2 users liked this post by PGas32:
Cadaver (09-02-2019), daveo4porsche (09-02-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 10:43 AM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks again everyone for the advice.

i am trying to find a good balance here. And I decided to not sell the 458.

I looked at every option discussed here. And I had a blast doing it.

In the end, when I priced out an older Cayman S, it really was not cheap. In fact, I realized that they hold their value exceptionally well. That said, after I put in a roll cage, upgraded the brakes and the seats, I really was not all that far off from a GT4 with 15-20k miles. So, financially speaking, it does appear that the best option is a GT4. Far less than the GT3 (or RS) but not too far away from a Cayman with 50,000 miles, after the necessary safety equipment is installed.

I also confirmed my instructor so I will be learning from a certified guy.

Is this the perfect route? I am not sure. But it does appear to be a good balance. Yes, the car is way more than I can handle for now. But I imagine it will also last me longer than a Cayman S would. And even based on the various suggestions, there are a lot of "correct" ways to go.

Thanks again everyone. I will update the thread when I have confirmed this is the way I am going (meaning I singed the papers) and post pics.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,376 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
thanks again everyone for the advice.

i am trying to find a good balance here. And I decided to not sell the 458.

I looked at every option discussed here. And I had a blast doing it.

In the end, when I priced out an older Cayman S, it really was not cheap. In fact, I realized that they hold their value exceptionally well. That said, after I put in a roll cage, upgraded the brakes and the seats, I really was not all that far off from a GT4 with 15-20k miles. So, financially speaking, it does appear that the best option is a GT4. Far less than the GT3 (or RS) but not too far away from a Cayman with 50,000 miles, after the necessary safety equipment is installed.

I also confirmed my instructor so I will be learning from a certified guy.

Is this the perfect route? I am not sure. But it does appear to be a good balance. Yes, the car is way more than I can handle for now. But I imagine it will also last me longer than a Cayman S would. And even based on the various suggestions, there are a lot of "correct" ways to go.

Thanks again everyone. I will update the thread when I have confirmed this is the way I am going (meaning I singed the papers) and post pics.
It's a good decision. The GT4 is good for learning, and with some tweaks it can be plenty fast (not too far off the 991.1 GT3). Consider using a non-R tire until you have good track experience and car control, then step up to a tire like the RE71R. Leave the stability control on - it shouldn't hinder your learning and driving such that you need to turn it off, and it may save you if the car gets way out of shape.

We have a 997.1 C2S, Cayman R, GT4, and 991.1 GT3, and I've tracked them all. The GT4 is a good car on both road and track.
The following 3 users liked this post by Manifold:
HelpMeHelpU (09-03-2019), superdog (09-03-2019), TRAKCAR (09-03-2019)

Quick Reply: Track Car Advice