Track Car Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 12:44 PM
superdog
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Track Car Advice

Hi all,

Without going into too much detail, I took my 19 Targe 4 GTS to the track this past Monday. I am hooked. I want in. And I want to drive in the advanced heats...someday. Yes, I realize after a long time.

That said, I love my Targa and will not be taking it back to the track. It was a magnificent beast and did amazingly well, but I realize it is not made for this. I also want to keep it pristine. My hope is to be Sunday driving that thing in 20 years.

I also have a Ferrari 458 Spider. I love this car as well. I got it only recently. But with not enough funds and not enough space, the most logical decision is to move the 458. It is somewhat heartbreaking, but I am pretty determined to make this all happen. Need. To. Get. Back. To. The. Track.

So I am looking at cars. A 2016 GT4 would be amazing whereas money is concerned. But I know myself. After I am comfortable in it, I will likely want to trade up within a short time. I also understand that it is not all that fast in a straight line. I also do enjoy the Cars and Coffee scene, and while I love going in my Targa, I love going in the 458. I think a GT3 or GT3 RS will solve all of this. Super sexy, great track car, and a nice pair with the Targa GTS.

I have looked at a few low mile 2016's RS's and I can pick one up for about 180k. I can get one with 10-15k miles for closer to 160k.

I have read tons of reviews and done a good amount of research, but I am looking for advice from the people driving them.

What do you guys think? Too much car for a beginner (not a beginner driver, but to the track)? Am I going to be that tool that pulls up in the ultimate car and is just a beginner? Do all of you guys track these cars? Or is this a weekender/Sunday driver for most of you? Should I just stick with a GT4 to learn and then upgrade when some of the newer models are out? Not interested in paying the inevitable VIG on the new models when they do arrive.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Superdog.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
Hi all,

Without going into too much detail, I took my 19 Targe 4 GTS to the track this past Monday. I am hooked. I want in. And I want to drive in the advanced heats...someday. Yes, I realize after a long time.

That said, I love my Targa and will not be taking it back to the track. It was a magnificent beast and did amazingly well, but I realize it is not made for this. I also want to keep it pristine. My hope is to be Sunday driving that thing in 20 years.

I also have a Ferrari 458 Spider. I love this car as well. I got it only recently. But with not enough funds and not enough space, the most logical decision is to move the 458. It is somewhat heartbreaking, but I am pretty determined to make this all happen. Need. To. Get. Back. To. The. Track.

So I am looking at cars. A 2016 GT4 would be amazing whereas money is concerned. But I know myself. After I am comfortable in it, I will likely want to trade up within a short time. I also understand that it is not all that fast in a straight line. I also do enjoy the Cars and Coffee scene, and while I love going in my Targa, I love going in the 458. I think a GT3 or GT3 RS will solve all of this. Super sexy, great track car, and a nice pair with the Targa GTS.

I have looked at a few low mile 2016's RS's and I can pick one up for about 180k. I can get one with 10-15k miles for closer to 160k.

I have read tons of reviews and done a good amount of research, but I am looking for advice from the people driving them.

What do you guys think? Too much car for a beginner (not a beginner driver, but to the track)? Am I going to be that tool that pulls up in the ultimate car and is just a beginner? Do all of you guys track these cars? Or is this a weekender/Sunday driver for most of you? Should I just stick with a GT4 to learn and then upgrade when some of the newer models are out? Not interested in paying the inevitable VIG on the new models when they do arrive.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
Superdog.
I tend to think a 991.1 (2014-2016) GT3 makes a lot of sense with the 10-year 120k engine warranty and depreciated value, if you are a PDK fan. I see you're considering both a GT4 and 991RS, so can't tell if you have a gearbox preference. If you want a Manual, I think GT4 is nice but I'd also look at older generations of GT3's (including RS) that have been prepared for track (cage, harnesses, brakes, coolant lines, etc.), or a 991.2 GT3 Manual.
The following users liked this post:
robmypro (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 01:32 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
I tend to think a 991.1 (2014-2016) GT3 makes a lot of sense with the 10-year 120k engine warranty and depreciated value, if you are a PDK fan. I see you're considering both a GT4 and 991RS, so can't tell if you have a gearbox preference. If you want a Manual, I think GT4 is nice but I'd also look at older generations of GT3's (including RS) that have been prepared for track (cage, harnesses, brakes, coolant lines, etc.), or a 991.2 GT3 Manual.
that makes sense. thank you. I will look further into it.

considering my beginner status on the track, i think a pdk is likely much better. besides, my targa is manual, so it would be good to have this with PDK. my wife will also thank me.

i have my eyes on a pretty nice RS for 178k. not bad, and i will likely get some scratch back after trading in the 458.

appreciate the input. will drive this car tomorrow and keep researching.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:34 PM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Mazda Mx5 cup car?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by TrackJunke
Mazda Mx5 cup car?
Ive thought about this. And I acknowledge it’s likely the best way for me to learn. I SHOULD do it this way.

Pretty certain I won’t have much interest in it after a short while. I’ve learned I’m rarely dissatisfied when I go with the best.

Meeting with my instructor tomorrow. I’ll see what he says. I could swing that and keep the 458. So that would ultimately be ideal.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:45 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 265 Posts

You would likely develop skill faster in a lower powered car.
ajw45 (09-01-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 01:48 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

991.1 - score one for 120’ish, save that $50k for brakes, tires, half cage and seat time... beat the living crap out of that engine worry-free for the next five years.

The marginal gains from the other trims mention come at a rather steep tag when you look at what you’re actually getting outside of rennlist hyperbole.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:12 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

If I were in your position, I would bypass the GT4 ( as great as it is, and I have one) and go for the GT3 and perhaps the 991.1 as itrsteve suggests. I've driven GT3's and they are just more special with that engine than the GT4. While the GT4 would likely suit your initial track needs (assuming manual is in the cards), over time you could always be thinking you should have stepped up a bit more to the GT3 if it was affordable. Starting with a GT4 likely means selling it in the future and upgrading as you KNOW you want the GT3!!!!

So.... save yourself the trouble and get the GT3 now. (but you would have a blast with the GT4) LOL
itrsteve (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 02:30 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by GTorTT
If I were in your position, I would bypass the GT4 ( as great as it is, and I have one) and go for the GT3 and perhaps the 991.1 as itrsteve suggests. I've driven GT3's and they are just more special with that engine than the GT4. While the GT4 would likely suit your initial track needs (assuming manual is in the cards), over time you could always be thinking you should have stepped up a bit more to the GT3 if it was affordable. Starting with a GT4 likely means selling it in the future and upgrading as you KNOW you want the GT3!!!!

So.... save yourself the trouble and get the GT3 now. (but you would have a blast with the GT4) LOL

you know, i admit it. i am really hoping that everyone will simply say what you are saying. lmao. i do want the GT3. for the track and for the sex appeal. i love to drive, but i also love to clean my cars and yes...even stare at them.

thanks for the note.

no manual for this one. the targa is in manual.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

I would take the GTS a couple more times and then just get an old 997S manual whatever.

Its a 911, sounds like one and handles like one.
Do nothing to it besides pads and brake fluid.

Beat it, learn it, break it.
Trade for whatever you fancy as soon as you are ready.
When you think you’re ready hire a coach to go with you for two weekends in the new faster track weapon.

the first 10-20 track events are a blast in any car, let alone a 911.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:39 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 443 Likes on 264 Posts

If you don't want manual for this one and you really want a step up, 991.1 GT3 is probably your answer as it will definitely fulfill your needs for a while. The RS is obviously better and you'll probably end up with one eventually, like most people. A good route would be .1 GT3 with a track setup to start, then when you're ready go for a .2 or 992 RS (when that's released) as an upgrade. If you have any questions about aftermarket components to get your future car track-ready, feel free to give us a call at - 1.714.432.1582 or email Sales@gmgracing.com

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 08-29-2019, 04:14 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would take the GTS a couple more times and then just get an old 997S manual whatever.

Its a 911, sounds like one and handles like one.
Do nothing to it besides pads and brake fluid.

Beat it, learn it, break it.
Trade for whatever you fancy as soon as you are ready.
When you think you’re ready hire a coach to go with you for two weekends in the new faster track weapon.

the first 10-20 track events are a blast in any car, let alone a 911.
Interesting. Even though it’s a Targa?

ive been told it’s not an ideal track car
Old 08-29-2019, 05:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 143 Posts

Be honest with yourself about your objectives.

If it's simply to have fun and go fast off the street, any modern car will do...just don't turn off the nannies.

If you really want to learn skills and measure your improvement as a driver, do not start with a 500 horsepower car on R compound tires...especially a car that you care about financially and/or cosmetically.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:45 PM
superdog
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Be honest with yourself about your objectives.

If it's simply to have fun and go fast off the street, any modern car will do...just don't turn off the nannies.

If you really want to learn skills and measure your improvement as a driver, do not start with a 500 horsepower car on R compound tires...especially a car that you care about financially and/or cosmetically.
I get that.

And being completely honest, I’m trying to get the best of all worlds. Maybe it doesn’t exist.

But I’d like a great fun car on the street and something I’m comfortable tracking.

Likely, that’s just not going to happen.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:44 PM
itrsteve
Burning Brakes

Received 707 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by superdog
And being completely honest, I’m trying to get the best of all worlds. Maybe it doesn’t exist.

But I’d like a great fun car on the street and something I’m comfortable tracking.
Of all the cars discussed in this thread, each one of them will deliver that.

However, I will say if economical seat time is your thing, then maybe get something else than a Porsche (let alone a GT car) and go nuts. I know an MX-5 was mentioned, but also an e30/e36 m3, s2000, etc... Something where you can go out and get your feet wet, not lose much (if any) money on, not worry about insuring... aka, a car you can push off a cliff... It'll go a long way. Go on roadraceautox.com and find a turnkey car for sale and go nuts, GT cars are plentiful and definitely be around when you're done.

Speaking from my experience only, I cut my chops with an Integra type R, cheap brakes, cheap ties, cheap everything, no need for insurance, obsessive detailing, etc. I'm not sure of my track day count but it's in the 80-100's somewhere. Since I wasn't a founder of Paypal, I have to be a little conscious of track day expenses, which ultimately lowers my actual minutes of seat time. Not to get into a discussion of disposable cash, but if it's something in the back of your mind then it's going to slow you down at the best part of the learning curve. After a certain point as a driver, you're going to plateau in terms of skill and your willingness to push the envelope, you'll be driving slower cars to their absolute limits... and that's where a GT car comes in, you can be dicing it up with everybody else without pushing the absolute physical limits of the car, tires & brakes; however, the sheer capabilities will ultimately stunt your growth as a driver.

But also, life is short and if you want to hit novice events in a GT3RS, then I can't fault you for that. After a certain point, your instructor will prematurely sign you off for solo due to their desire for self-preservation rather than your skill level
The following 2 users liked this post by itrsteve:
17bhub (09-08-2019), Patrick3000 (09-02-2019)

Quick Reply: Track Car Advice