991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticket for accelerating too fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019 | 09:02 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

If you accelerated hard knowing a cop was there you were basically challenging him and your gonna lose the initial fight every time. Not smart regardless. Got what you asked for.

“Exhibition of speed” is seems vague. Perhaps unconstitutionally so but getting that fight won is cost prohibitive. If I drove down the street legally in an RS, Mac 650LT, Ferrari or Perf isn’t that an exhibition of speed too? What about if I just rev my engine once? Now twice etc...Who determines what constitutes a violation? The judge? Based on his subjective notions?

If the ticket was for careless driving if in an urban or populated area then I could understand.

The citation seems bs if you were in an area away of others but you basically asked for it.
Old 05-19-2019 | 09:20 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Interesting. Thats unusual for a speeding ticket not carry any driving record points. That would be unique to whatever jurisdiction you are in. In Arkansas, and most other states, any moving violation ticket (speeding, reckless driving, excessive acceleration etc) all carry points to hit your driving record. The more serious the ticket, the more points are charged.

Even 45 in a 40 carries points penatly in most states. I'd be surprised if your brother actually avoided points - if he simply pled guilty and paid the fine.
Here's the law in our jurisdiction, and I would hope that it would be similar in most:
Exceeding a posted speed limit by 10 to 19 miles per hour. $90 fine and two points.
Exceeding a posted speed limit by 20 to 29 miles per hour. $160 fine and two points.

But more importantly, you are missing the point. I've traveled the road in which the citation was issued, hundreds of times. It is extraordinarily rare to see any car that doesn't exceed 40 MPH, and probably the average speed is close to 50 MPH. So why was my brother ticketed? Simple, it was because of the car he was driving.
Old 05-19-2019 | 09:28 AM
lucxy
Rennlist Member

Soon we will be getting tickets for thinking about going fast.. a thought crime. States need revenue. Your word against cops, guess who judges will believe? Fight it anyway..
Old 05-19-2019 | 10:18 AM
fast1
Race Car

Some of you folks are a lawyer's dream....or maybe nightmare.....not sure which.
Maybe other jurisdictions are a lot more extreme in their traffic enforcement than the one in which I live, but there's no way that I would pay a lawyer to represent me in a BS case like this. The last time I was at a traffic court was about ten years ago. My son was cited for doing 80 in a 65 MPH zone, and I accompanied him at his court date. When my son was called before the judge, he admitted that he was going over the posted speed limit (my son told me that the State Trooper actually understated his speed). So my son was given Probation Before Judgement and had to pay court costs, after the judge verified that he had no former traffic violations. The probation period was 90 days and the court costs were $25. The judge told my son that if he were convicted of a traffic violation during the probation period, he would pay the speeding fine for this violation and two points would be charged to his record. The case took at most five minutes.

It's hard for me to believe that an "accelerating too fast" charge would be handled any differently, unless there are existing traffic violations on the OP's record. As a matter of fact I'd think that there's a good chance that the charge would be dropped, unless there is video evidence.
Old 05-19-2019 | 05:19 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Maybe other jurisdictions are a lot more extreme in their traffic enforcement than the one in which I live, but there's no way that I would pay a lawyer to represent me in a BS case like this. The last time I was at a traffic court was about ten years ago. My son was cited for doing 80 in a 65 MPH zone, and I accompanied him at his court date. When my son was called before the judge, he admitted that he was going over the posted speed limit (my son told me that the State Trooper actually understated his speed). So my son was given Probation Before Judgement and had to pay court costs, after the judge verified that he had no former traffic violations. The probation period was 90 days and the court costs were $25. The judge told my son that if he were convicted of a traffic violation during the probation period, he would pay the speeding fine for this violation and two points would be charged to his record. The case took at most five minutes.

It's hard for me to believe that an "accelerating too fast" charge would be handled any differently, unless there are existing traffic violations on the OP's record. As a matter of fact I'd think that there's a good chance that the charge would be dropped, unless there is video evidence.
That was a wise way to handle it... in most cases, lawyers simply are not needed. Judges, clerks and prosecutors do not expect to see lawyers in the room on traffic ticket docket days....most courts have a system set up to deal directly with the driver/owner/ticketed party.
Old 05-19-2019 | 05:20 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
Here's the law in our jurisdiction, and I would hope that it would be similar in most:
Exceeding a posted speed limit by 10 to 19 miles per hour. $90 fine and two points.
Exceeding a posted speed limit by 20 to 29 miles per hour. $160 fine and two points.

But more importantly, you are missing the point. I've traveled the road in which the citation was issued, hundreds of times. It is extraordinarily rare to see any car that doesn't exceed 40 MPH, and probably the average speed is close to 50 MPH. So why was my brother ticketed? Simple, it was because of the car he was driving.
Gotcha, I like that system. If under 10 mph over the limit, it lets you pay a fine and move on without worrying about drivers license and insurance implications. Wish we had more states like that.
Old 05-19-2019 | 05:32 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Some thoughts:
1. Getting an attorney to represent OP is the smartest thing OP has done regarding this incident. OP's attorney knows the judge and if there is going to be any sympathy/courtesy extended, the judge will be more likely to do something based on the working relationship with the attorney.
2. Getting court date moved due to inconvenience of OP isn't going to fly since OP is represented by counsel.
3. How was the determination of exhibition of excessive acceleration arrived at? If it was the 'professional opinion' of the citing LEO, were they trained to provide expert witness testimony regarding exhibition of excessive acceleration? If trained, how long since they were last certified? And, and, and. IMO, this is going to be the most fruitful area to challenge the ticket.
2. What? Every lawyer I have ever seen tries to move the hearing date and 99% of the time it is granted. And it is absolutely proper to ask to move it based on schedule of defendant.
Old 05-19-2019 | 06:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berjar

What to do after getting a accelerating too fast ticket? Me and my buddy just installed Dundan street headers today. Awesome sound, but now the Police will probably ticket me for just sitting at a stop light. I am poking the bear now!! Ha ha!
That's called picking the nose of fate.
Old 05-19-2019 | 07:13 PM
fast1
Race Car

That was a wise way to handle it... in most cases, lawyers simply are not needed. Judges, clerks and prosecutors do not expect to see lawyers in the room on traffic ticket docket days....most courts have a system set up to deal directly with the driver/owner/ticketed party.
I didn't see any lawyers when I went with my son to traffic court. Granted that every Judge is different but the one who presided over my son's case gave no deference to the charging officer, i.e., there was a definite presumption of innocence. So a cop testifies that I accelerated too fast and I say no I didn't. I can't believe that any Judge would convict, unless the cop could substantiate his charge. I expect that the cop who issued the citation also knows that, but he just wants to inconvenience the OP by making him show up at a hearing or better yet get a lawyer and incur that expense.
Old 05-19-2019 | 07:39 PM
Berjar
Racer

Originally Posted by Waxer
If you accelerated hard knowing a cop was there you were basically challenging him and your gonna lose the initial fight every time. Not smart regardless. Got what you asked for.

“Exhibition of speed” is seems vague. Perhaps unconstitutionally so but getting that fight won is cost prohibitive. If I drove down the street legally in an RS, Mac 650LT, Ferrari or Perf isn’t that an exhibition of speed too? What about if I just rev my engine once? Now twice etc...Who determines what constitutes a violation? The judge? Based on his subjective notions?

If the ticket was for careless driving if in an urban or populated area then I could understand.

The citation seems bs if you were in an area away of others but you basically asked for it.
I never saw the cop. If I did I would have shifted at 4k and 20% throttle. No chirping tires or burn-out. Just did what most of you probably do every week. Reving our car out safely with no cars near me. Not full throttle.
Old 05-19-2019 | 09:00 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by evilfij
2. What? Every lawyer I have ever seen tries to move the hearing date and 99% of the time it is granted. And it is absolutely proper to ask to move it based on schedule of defendant.
Yep and Yep. You are correct. That was a pretty inaccurate post.....
Old 05-20-2019 | 01:17 AM
Agent_Orange
Racer

Originally Posted by montoya
Ugh, that sucks. I was just pulled over for the same thing- BUT, the Washington County cop was nice to me and let me go with a warning. I don't want to think what kind of ticket we could have gotten accelerating last weekend when I was tail end Charlie in our local PCA drive!

Where did it happen- in Bend? OHP around there are NOT nice from my experience!
So we can conclude that this is all Montoya's fault for tilting the Law of Averages
Old 05-20-2019 | 02:00 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Some of you folks are a lawyer's dream....or maybe nightmare.....not sure which.
I won't get into the details, but the $600 I paid for representation by a traffic attorney was the best $ I ever paid to an attorney (and I have paid legal bills in the 6 figures). Net-net, the attorney knows the judge your case is assigned to, and can get you the best deal possible if you are in the wrong. If you aren't in the wrong, the attorney is best positioned to get the case dismissed as quickly as possible. If you are going to have to challenge a LEOs version of events, the attorney is way more qualified than non-attorneys will be (even if you stay at a Holiday Inn before the hearing).

What is the saying about a person choosing to represent themself having a fool for a client?
Old 05-20-2019 | 09:28 AM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
I won't get into the details, but the $600 I paid for representation by a traffic attorney was the best $ I ever paid to an attorney (and I have paid legal bills in the 6 figures). Net-net, the attorney knows the judge your case is assigned to, and can get you the best deal possible if you are in the wrong. If you aren't in the wrong, the attorney is best positioned to get the case dismissed as quickly as possible. If you are going to have to challenge a LEOs version of events, the attorney is way more qualified than non-attorneys will be (even if you stay at a Holiday Inn before the hearing).

What is the saying about a person choosing to represent themself having a fool for a client?
It depends upon the charge, If I were charged with a serious traffic violation which could lead to the suspension of my license or worse yet, jail time, then you better believe that I'm hiring a lawyer. But in this case it's just for accelerating too fast. Not sure what the penalty is for conviction, but I can't believe its draconian.
If it's a criminal case, your admonition about representing yourself is prudent, but this is traffic court. There's no prosecuting attorney who'll be cross examining you. The cop gives his version and then the defendant gives his, and the burden is on the cop to prove his allegation. The Judge may ask a question or two, especially regarding priors. Depending upon the jurisdiction, there will likely be numerous other cases to be heard and the Judge wants to move things along. So unless I were intimidated by a traffic court appearance, I don't see the need for representation in this case.
Old 05-20-2019 | 11:49 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DAVfoto
Waze is your friend in VA. I have to drive through every so often to go see my family in SC. It definitely is stupid and they actually have aircraft monitoring speed every so often (less now than they used to). They will take you to jail if you are doing 15 or 20 I believe over but anything before that and it's just a fine.
if I recall correctly, it used to be (15 yrs ago) that 20mph over was considered reckless and then you were taken to jail (not sure what that entailed), I was extra careful never to exceed 20 over when I lived there. Under that limit, it was just a ticket and a fine. During in my time living there I never heard of anyone going to jail or having their car impounded.

Quick Reply: Ticket for accelerating too fast!!