Sponsored by:

Ticket for accelerating too fast!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
I wouldnt waste your money on a lawyer (and I am a lawyer). Unless you have a buddy thats a lawyer that won't charge you or will charge you a really reduced rate, you'll spend more than the ticket cost and probably more than any insurance increase. I'd suggest calling the clerk or the prosecutors office and very politely see if they will let you get on probation or deferred adjudication. You can pay a probation fee and fine, and then keep the ticket off your record for insurance purposes.
Exactly what I was about to write. I would call the clerk and find out the name of the DA. Call DA and ask if he or she will give you a minute or two on the morning of the Court date. You’ll have the first five seconds to make your impression. It’ll help a lot if cop doesn’t show.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 911therapy
Your brother will gather enough driving points to lose his license..... I speed and drive however I want so long as I have nothing on my record and not on probation. Driving with one free pass essentially Then, when I get a ticket, I go on probation, pay the fine and drive more conservatively til I am off probation (usually 3 or 6 months depending on the city and court). I dont mind paying tickets. But, risking your drivers license and being uninsurable is foolish.
In the case I cited (going 45 in a 40 MPH zone) there were no points, just a $70 fine. Hence the reference to mobile toll booth. There's a virtual certainty that the cop issued the ticket because of the car.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
BS ticket
but exhaust note give the impression of speed
every now and then in my neighborhood someone will yell at me to slow down and I am just driving the speed limit 25 miles
as I never drive above speed limit in residential areas
but also bottom line , in my book , police can stop you for anything, and cameras despite being intrusive , are our best protection
Same thing happens to me. Just recently a woman who appeared to be in her 60s, screamed at me to slow the hell down. Unless my speedometer is inaccurate, I was going 27 in a 25 MPH zone. So I suppose she was technically correct: I was exceeding the speed limit.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:53 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Same thing happens to me. Just recently a woman who appeared to be in her 60s, screamed at me to ...
I saw that Prius driver, she is a lovely lady with a polite mouth

Facebook Post
Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 408 Posts

Unfortunate for sure. I too would pay for assistance, often it helps get the citation dropped.

I grew up in Chicago. Many years ago on a Sunday night coming home from my parents house i was at a red light stopped next to a patrol car downtown. They looked over and said "light em up", I peered over and smiled and said this must be a joke right? They said no, light em up, let's see what it can do. I revved to 4k RPM, dropped the clutch and left a patch of rubber through the intersection. It was glorious and I will never forget that night.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:58 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
Sorry but anyone with a little common sense knows it's probably not legal to do a 0-45 full throttle acceleration from a standstill at a light. Is it fun? Yes. Do we do it anyways? Absolutely But you gotta know if a cop sees you do it you're gonna get pulled over....

Best bet is to go and apologize. There was no one on the road. Just letting off steam. Happy to pay a fine but please reduce it to a non points offense. Has worked for me in the past. And not sure how it is in your state but the cop doesn't have to show up. They have one officer do all the tickets for the day.

The judge and cops appreciate honesty more than anything and if you have a clean driving record it's likely to stay that way. Lawyer will cost money and only makes them go for a conviction more. Most communities have zero tolerance for "racing", even though that's not what you were doing.

Just my $0.02
Totally agree.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Look up your state's laws regarding Deferred Prosecution. Ask the Judge (it's really up to the state's attorney) for that. Do a few hours of community service. No fine. No points. Done. And you don't need an attorney for this.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:08 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 267 Posts

....There's a virtual certainty that the cop issued the ticket because of the car.
This. I bet you can do zero-to-55 all day long in a neutral color Model S P100 and never get tagged.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:47 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Frankly, this should be a slam dunk for you and your lawyer. The only item listed in the law that you posted which may be applicable is "exhibition of acceleration". The state/cop are hopeful that you pay the ticket and don't challenge it.

Formally request in writing through the discovery process from the state the following:
1. The calibration documentation for the police officer's accelerometer.
2. The make, model, and operating manual of the accelerometer that the police officer used to detect your acceleration.
3. The posted acceleration limit on the road that you were traveling on.
4. Dash cam footage from the police officer's cruiser.
5. A list of all the witnesses/by standers that you were "exhibiting your speed" to.

I've gotten all this stuff before for their radar guns/speed detectors - (not accelerometer which don't exist). No problem. Failure to comply with the discovery is evidence in itself. They should respond in writing that these don't exist.

More importantly, whatever the court date is on the ticket etc, get it moved because you are on business travel that day (or something to that effect). These court dates are based on the officer's shift and vacation schedule. Move the date and you increase the probability that the police officer will be a no show. No show for the "trial" equals dismissed.

I've gotten 3 tickets dismissed for BS crap.
Some thoughts:
1. Getting an attorney to represent OP is the smartest thing OP has done regarding this incident. OP's attorney knows the judge and if there is going to be any sympathy/courtesy extended, the judge will be more likely to do something based on the working relationship with the attorney.
2. Getting court date moved due to inconvenience of OP isn't going to fly since OP is represented by counsel.
3. How was the determination of exhibition of excessive acceleration arrived at? If it was the 'professional opinion' of the citing LEO, were they trained to provide expert witness testimony regarding exhibition of excessive acceleration? If trained, how long since they were last certified? And, and, and. IMO, this is going to be the most fruitful area to challenge the ticket.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 PM
WazRS
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

That thread is so funny for us here!

Police over here will beg us to rev up and do burnouts

Wael
Old 05-18-2019, 05:26 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by victorc31
Deny it, argue a faulty measurement, i was paced by a cop while he was coming up an entrance ramp so i told the ticket clinic lawyer he was traveling a longer distance to stay with me, i dunno what they argued but it was dismissed. With a clean record they usually dismiss, at least i’ve heard that about here in florida
Concur that was my experience with the Ticket Clinic, paid their fee and the whole thing went away.

Peter
Old 05-18-2019, 05:31 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
Some thoughts:
1. Getting an attorney to represent OP is the smartest thing OP has done regarding this incident. OP's attorney knows the judge and if there is going to be any sympathy/courtesy extended, the judge will be more likely to do something based on the working relationship with the attorney.
2. Getting court date moved due to inconvenience of OP isn't going to fly since OP is represented by counsel.
3. How was the determination of exhibition of excessive acceleration arrived at? If it was the 'professional opinion' of the citing LEO, were they trained to provide expert witness testimony regarding exhibition of excessive acceleration? If trained, how long since they were last certified? And, and, and. IMO, this is going to be the most fruitful area to challenge the ticket.
Some of you folks are a lawyer's dream....or maybe nightmare.....not sure which.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:13 PM
abu5
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL what proof.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:06 PM
911therapy
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 57 Posts

In the case I cited (going 45 in a 40 MPH zone) there were no points, just a $70 fine. Hence the reference to mobile toll booth. There's a virtual certainty that the cop issued the ticket because of the car.
Interesting. Thats unusual for a speeding ticket not carry any driving record points. That would be unique to whatever jurisdiction you are in. In Arkansas, and most other states, any moving violation ticket (speeding, reckless driving, excessive acceleration etc) all carry points to hit your driving record. The more serious the ticket, the more points are charged.

Even 45 in a 40 carries points penatly in most states. I'd be surprised if your brother actually avoided points - if he simply pled guilty and paid the fine.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Berjar
Racer

Received 370 Likes on 142 Posts

What to do after getting a accelerating too fast ticket? Me and my buddy just installed Dundan street headers today. Awesome sound, but now the Police will probably ticket me for just sitting at a stop light. I am poking the bear now!! Ha ha!

Quick Reply: Ticket for accelerating too fast!!