991.1 GT3 Brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 10:46 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 991.1 GT3 Brake

Hi All

I bought a used CPO 991.1 GT3 last November. Upon taking the delivery of the car, I noticed something is off about the brake. The car doesn't stop hard, even when I stepped on the pedal all the way, hard.
After inspecting the brake, I noticed the rotors were cracked and scorched. The car was definitely tracked. Not a bad thing. Just wish the dealer would disclose that before selling me the car.
Yesterday, I had all 4 rotors and pads replaced (Girodisc and Hawks pads) by a local shop. None of the stock rotors and pads were salvageable. I drove the car home last night and to work this morning. I definitely noticed an improvement. The brake works fine when I am trying to "slowly slow down". But when I need to really "stop" the car and stepping hard on the pedal, it just doesn't seem to perform well. Feels like the calipers don't bite hard enough and rotors are still moving. I am comparing to a few cars I have owned previously (M550, GLE43, Maserati SQ4, Carrera S). These brake on those car seems to stop better than the GT3. That doesn't seem normal....

Are the rotors/pads still trying to break in? or is this the normal behavior of GT3 brake system? Please share your experience. Thank you.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by yxc145
Hi All

I bought a used CPO 991.1 GT3 last November. Upon taking the delivery of the car, I noticed something is off about the brake. The car doesn't stop hard, even when I stepped on the pedal all the way, hard.
After inspecting the brake, I noticed the rotors were cracked and scorched. The car was definitely tracked. Not a bad thing. Just wish the dealer would disclose that before selling me the car.
Yesterday, I had all 4 rotors and pads replaced (Girodisc and Hawks pads) by a local shop. None of the stock rotors and pads were salvageable. I drove the car home last night and to work this morning. I definitely noticed an improvement. The brake works fine when I am trying to "slowly slow down". But when I need to really "stop" the car and stepping hard on the pedal, it just doesn't seem to perform well. Feels like the calipers don't bite hard enough and rotors are still moving. I am comparing to a few cars I have owned previously (M550, GLE43, Maserati SQ4, Carrera S). These brake on those car seems to stop better than the GT3. That doesn't seem normal....

Are the rotors/pads still trying to break in? or is this the normal behavior of GT3 brake system? Please share your experience. Thank you.
Did you bed your brake pads? If not it's not going to stop too well.
The following users liked this post:
JlewGt3 (01-11-2022)
Old 04-03-2019, 11:03 AM
gt3.997
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

did you bed in the new brake pads? when you hammer on the brake pedal the car should stop pretty hard.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:15 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by Todd B
Did you bed your brake pads? If not it's not going to stop too well.
Originally Posted by gt3.997
did you bed in the new brake pads? when you hammer on the brake pedal the car should stop pretty hard.
The shop did the install said they did.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

I noticed that when I first bought my GT3 that the brakes (steel) don't have a lot of bite to them. Fortunately at the track they will take just about all the abuse you can throw at them, you just need to stand on the pedal harder than you're used to. Really impressed with their durability out of the box, but hoping I can get more of the bite I'm used to when I throw my Ferodo DS1.11s on.

Last edited by Jickel180; 04-03-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:46 AM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jickel180
I noticed that when I first bought my GT3 that the brakes (steel) don't have a lot of bite to them. Fortunately at the track they will take just about all the abuse you can throw at them, you just need to stand on the pedal harder than you're used to. Really impressed with their durability out of the box, but hoping I can get more of the bite I'm used to when I thrown my Ferodo DS1.1s1 on.
Thank you for sharing your impression. So did it improve over time?
Old 04-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Jickel180
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 240 Posts

The level of initial bite only improves somewhat when they get hot, so driving around town they're still the same. On the flip side they're low noise and they can hold their own at the track.

Which Hawk pads did you switch to? Hopefully not the HPS compound as it doesn't have a lot of bite and it'll vaporize with track duty (from my past experience with them on other cars). Not a fan of those, but their DTC 60 or DTC 70 compounds have great initial bite and durability at the track. I wouldn't drive on the street with those as they're extremely noisy race pads however.

From my research on this forum it seems the Ferodo DS2500s might be the goldilocks solution for a high initial bite, but streetable pad. I wouldn't do heavy tracking with it but it may be the best option for those wanting more bite on the street. I'm sure others on here can chime in with their experience.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:36 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jickel180
The level of initial bite only improves somewhat when they get hot, so driving around town they're still the same. On the flip side they're low noise and they can hold their own at the track.

Which Hawk pads did you switch to? Hopefully not the HPS compound as it doesn't have a lot of bite and it'll vaporize with track duty (from my past experience with them on other cars). Not a fan of those, but their DTC 60 or DTC 70 compounds have great initial bite and durability at the track. I wouldn't drive on the street with those as they're extremely noisy race pads however.

From my research on this forum it seems the Ferodo DS2500s might be the goldilocks solution for a high initial bite, but streetable pad. I wouldn't do heavy tracking with it but it may be the best option for those wanting more bite on the street. I'm sure others on here can chime in with their experience.
Oh no!!! that's what I got. HPS 5.0
Old 04-03-2019, 12:41 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Oh no!!! that's what I got. HPS 5.0
Pads make a big difference for sure
Old 04-03-2019, 01:10 PM
yxc145
Instructor

Thank you guys. I got crappy pads... now I am stuck with them till next replacement.
Old 04-03-2019, 01:13 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Thank you guys. I got crappy pads... now I am stuck with them till next replacement.
Go hit Road America one weekend and that will be it for those pads
The following users liked this post:
D1ESEL (03-18-2020)
Old 04-03-2019, 01:27 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

First, you should have taken the car back to the selling dealership as I believe new pads/rotors and new tires are a condition for a CPO certification. Second, track pads (Hawks) have a slightly different (higher) optimal operating temperature than street pads. As a result, when cold, the initial bite/performance of a track pads are not great. I also agree with other comments about bedding...make sure the pads were bedded correctly.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:29 PM
Matrog
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Thumbs up I'd also recommend

changing out the brake fluid. If the car was tracked a lot, the fluid may shot/contain water and cause the pedal to feel soft.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:33 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

What shop did you go to? Did they recommend the pad or you brought it in? If they recommended it, just take the car back and tell them to switch pads, specify this is a street car. It's easy to swap pads and if they value you as a customer and want repeat business....

If you want to try track driving, 4/26 is PCA's Novice day at Blackhawk Farms. Great time and you'll meet folks that can help you swap pads with centerlocks if you want to learn to do it yourself. If you don't like the pads now, I wouldn't wait until you wear the current set out before changing them. LIfe's too short.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:36 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
First, you should have taken the car back to the selling dealership as I believe new pads/rotors and new tires are a condition for a CPO certification. Second, track pads (Hawks) have a slightly different (higher) optimal operating temperature than street pads. As a result, when cold, the initial bite/performance of a track pads are not great. I also agree with other comments about bedding...make sure the pads were bedded correctly.
Pads/Rotors don't have to be new. They just have to meet the minimum thickness requirements. They probably sold the car with track pads that were thick enough. The indie probably sold the OP on new hardware, it's the first thing they do when you complain about brakes.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 Brake