Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PORSCHE OF NASHUA EXPERIENCE

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019 | 09:47 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Singapore, like Australia now I believe, only allows right hand drive vehicles to be imported. That, among other reasons, would make it basically impossible to import a US GT3 to Singapore.
Old 01-17-2019 | 09:51 PM
rpetty3
Rennlist Member

This has been an interesting situation to follow. The one issue that puzzles me is that the owner of the dealership took a stand with a customer? That defies logic? None of us were on the call but I’m sure many business owners are on RL. The last thing many successful owners do is to tick off a customer that is purchasing an item from you? Exports have cooled way off and although anything could be done what would his motive be? Would a little profit equal the labor to get it exported worth the risk? Maybe he gave them wayyyy toooo much information about himself? Price is this and I’ll pay it and leave? Oh well lets sit back and watch. Sorry to all involved but if he gets the car it may be a bad memory (experience) in the end.
Old 01-17-2019 | 09:56 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

Doesn’t Singapore also have a huge tax you have to pay, like 6 figure tax just to own a vehicle on the island. Can OP verify this info.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:00 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by evilfij
Singapore, like Australia now I believe, only allows right hand drive vehicles to be imported. That, among other reasons, would make it basically impossible to import a US GT3 to Singapore.
Maybe the OP is a diplomat or has connections with that power within the country. It's uncommon but not rare. I've been to Singapore and seen LHD vehicles on the road, mostly new high end cars. Cars there are $$$, not to mention the permits required, road taxes and other over the top fees charged to reduce congestion. The only thing cheap in Singapore is the food.

Or maybe the destination wasn't Singapore. These are the unknowns.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:01 PM
John Belk
Racer

After following this string for a couple days, I have a case of very good beer on ice that I’d happily share to hear the “other side of the story”. Without that, how can we really say anything other than...something is really odd? Sadly, we may never know the full story...other than the OP’s dream car may need to come from another source. Lastly, I will say having only been in this Porsche arena for about 4 years this string has been highly educational...
Now, about that cold beer....
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:02 PM
Vadaredevil
Instructor

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/south...-february-2018

i found this article on Singapore cars. Approximately $30k US to have a certificate of entitlement for 10yrs.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:05 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vadaredevil
Doesn’t Singapore also have a huge tax you have to pay, like 6 figure tax just to own a vehicle on the island. Can OP verify this info.
I don't live there but the overall costs add up really fast. There are fee's on fees, cost of entitlement, road taxes... It's insane but does lend to quite the the car show when you walk around in some of the higher end districts since that limits car ownership to the elite.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:05 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tonsoframen
So here's my 2 cents... Exporting a car to Singapore is just as crazy as exporting a car to Dubai. By which I mean, not crazy at all.

A giant red flag that wasn't triggered before. A flag large enough to stop the sale of a 180k car 15k adm.
You're contradicting yourself. Red flags have almost no value if/when exporting is so easy that anyone could do it, red flags or not. If we're going to imagine things, a higher adm bidder (or dealer's buddy) is a far more realistic thing to imagine than a red flag of almost zero importance. When a desirable PTS GT3 is in play, the dealer could use anything at all as a "red flag" and as an excuse to take away the car from someone and give it to someone else.

Maybe some of the folks who claim to know the dealer and speak highly of them could forward this thread to them and invite them to provide the other side of the story?
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:25 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hf1
You're contradicting yourself. Red flags have almost no value if/when exporting is so easy that anyone could do it, red flags or not. If we're going to imagine things, a higher adm bidder (or dealer's buddy) is a far more realistic thing to imagine than a red flag of almost zero importance. When a desirable PTS GT3 is in play, the dealer could use anything at all as a "red flag" and as an excuse to take away the car from someone and give it to someone else.

Maybe some of the folks who claim to know the dealer and speak highly of them could forward this thread to them and invite them to provide the other side of the story?
How is that a contradiction? I don't claim to know what caused a red flag but obviously something spooked the dealer to the point of canceling a deal. You're right, anyone can export a car. Porsche knows this as well and I imagine they have measures in place both instructional and monetary to prevent this from happening. You know this happens enough for there to be certain tells dealers are taught to look for. But then again, who know's, I'm just a guy behind a computer.

I'm only speculating given the nature of the native we were told. I don't claim to know the other side of the story but I can only speculate given my experience with this dealer. I doubt they will post though since these matters should be handled offline.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:38 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hf1

Also, the reason I'm giving the dealer the benefit of the doubt on this is solely due to how late in the sale this occurred. According to the OP the deal didn't go sour until he swapped delivery locations. Up until that swap it was a done deal for pickup in Atlanta.
Old 01-17-2019 | 10:42 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Semitone
I'll admit, this seems a bit weak to me to actually, cancel a deal where there is a contract and all the terms have been met. That's why I think there is more going on.

Personally, I am tired of trying to read tea leaves. I only responded because I have had two recent purchases with the Porsche of Nashua and no drama ( sure a few stupid snafus but nothing critical). I just don't get the eleventh hour backing out by the dealer given the info provided.
100% agree
Old 01-17-2019 | 11:06 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

So here's my 2 cents... Exporting a car to Singapore is just as crazy as exporting a car to Dubai. By which I mean, not crazy at all.

A Dummies Guide To Shipping A car to Singapore
Good job posting a link which completely contradicts the point you're trying to make, as it states that cars have to be RHD.

See this much better link instead, which indicates it would cost well over $200k to register the car there, even if it were RHD, which it isn't.

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/conte...f_2017/Car.pdf
Old 01-17-2019 | 11:12 PM
Semitone
Pro

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn

See this much better link instead, which indicates it would cost well over $200k to register the car there, even if it were RHD, which it isn't.

I spent some time in Singapore last year. Some friends and I were just spitballing the price of cars but my guess was that a GT3, if you could get it, would be $600-700K USD. Not an official number but $200K in taxes and fees would be bupkis.
$200K for the car and $200K for fees would be cheap for a GT3 in Singapore
Old 01-17-2019 | 11:14 PM
tonsoframen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Good job posting a link which completely contradicts the point you're trying to make, as it states that cars have to be RHD.

Maybe it was presumptuous to say it was going to Singapore but either way, I said previously there are ways around the RHD problem. That being said, do you even know what the cost of a new GT3 is in Singapore? That is, if you can even get one.

Hint, it's much more than you think.
Old 01-17-2019 | 11:59 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

. That being said, do you even know what the cost of a new GT3 is in Singapore? That is, if you can even get one.

Hint, it's much more than you think.
Fair enough. If it's 600k and you can import it for $400k I do see the appeal.

Quick Reply: PORSCHE OF NASHUA EXPERIENCE