Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 12:36 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Can you hold the left kink before the start finish flat in the 720s or you need to lift a bit?
My experience at Sonoma and doing some data analysis with others.

in a 1:48 lap:

Full throttle in a porsche gt4 is for 47 total seconds
Full throttle in a mclaren 675 for 16 total seconds
Full throttle in a mclaren P1 for 12 seconds.

In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle between turn 4 to brake zone in turn 6 (not possible to do that in the mclarens (too much speed)
In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle out of the eses to brake zone in turn 10 (not possible to do that in the mclaren (too much speed)
In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle from turn 11 to turn 1 (it's possible in the mclarens but extremely risky to do that).

The above is for people who have a lot of experience at Somoma. CJ doesn't have anywhere close to the experience or the time in the cars that others are posting in this thread. He did an extremely good job to get those lap times.

Much more skill needed to extract the same lap times in the mclarens vs. the porsche's.

Laguna Seca and Thunderhill is where you can use the speeds of the mclaren's.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,236 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by RobertR1
Can you hold the left kink before the start finish flat in the 720s or you need to lift a bit?
yes it is flat exiting the hairpin until after start finish/up the hill depending on tire warmth and ball size
Old 11-05-2018, 03:08 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Ok so-

Keep in mind my times were no warm up, no wheels off, no prize money...just a steady effort level

The PCCB to me has a more confidence inspiring initial bite. I also enjoy the way that the car soaks up bumps with a little less mass to change directions...that to me is noticeable. I really like the hard bite and especially on the PDK cars the left foot braking is really good.

Let the record state that I have owned personally (not blind bias)
997 GT3 iron
997.1RS pccb
997.2 RS iron
4.0RS iron
4.0RS pccb
4.0RS pccb
991RS pccb
991RS iron
991RS iron

991.2RS pccb is my current car. I also have PCCB on my '18 GTS (manual) and track it a lot with PCA dudes.

The PCCB has a negligible impact on overall price of a 210k car. It's 3-4% of a GT3RS msrp. It's a bigger weight savings than a carbon roof and carbon steering wheel.

I think Porsche brakes are fantastic and the PCCB allows my style of driving the most confidence and aggressive performance on the street during fun canyon stuff as well.

This has nothing to do with selling cars- 2-3 of you are going to get an allocation from me max anyway...LOL.

On a serious note - the new GT cars are hot fire.
What I like most about the PCCB (on any Porsche model) is because of this additional bite, the PCCB ABS programs are a bit less intrusive (compared to steel), so if you swap for steel rotors, you get less aggressive ABS which is better for the track. My old 997.1RS had PCCB (converted to steel) and had less ABS/Ice mode intervention than stock steel. Not any different than why for Spec 987 racing, they let 987.1 owners re-program to PCCB ABS in PIWIS for slightly less ABS jump in.

After being on Grand full NCM this weekend with DS1.11 pads, and having way too many ABS interventions (on both Cup2 and Pirelli DH takeoffs), I'm going to see if I can have my ABS switched to PCCB mode as well. Now I kinda wished I would have opted for PCCB instead of steel. I honestly forgot about this little tidbit of information at the time of my order.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:13 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
My experience at Sonoma and doing some data analysis with others.

in a 1:48 lap:

Full throttle in a porsche gt4 is for 47 total seconds
Full throttle in a mclaren 675 for 16 total seconds
Full throttle in a mclaren P1 for 12 seconds.

In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle between turn 4 to brake zone in turn 6 (not possible to do that in the mclarens (too much speed)
In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle out of the eses to brake zone in turn 10 (not possible to do that in the mclaren (too much speed)
In a gt3/gt3rs.1 you can go full throttle from turn 11 to turn 1 (it's possible in the mclarens but extremely risky to do that).

The above is for people who have a lot of experience at Somoma. CJ doesn't have anywhere close to the experience or the time in the cars that others are posting in this thread. He did an extremely good job to get those lap times.

Much more skill needed to extract the same lap times in the mclarens vs. the porsche's.

I'd really like to drive the 720 and 675 and GT3RS and Mono against each other at Thunderhill.

I can echo your sentiments that the amount of actual full throttle driving diminishes with each bump in HP from 400 to 700 to P1/918 level.
The F3 cars around sonoma are flat or on the brakes, almost no coasting but the mclarens need a lot more partial throttle...I also think that part of that is being a mid engined car- you need to be more delicate whereas the RS / 911 platform with the massive tires allows for harder footwork inputs.

I know from my experience the other day that the big speed giveaway for me was actually Turn 1...hesitant to roll too much speed up the hill since last time we were out there together. That time I was in my 675 I tracked all the way right and ended up in the grass at the apex of 2 and lost the plastic air dam...tried to be a hero through T1 and could not get the car to turn.

frankly I think the 675 through the esses is the most confident car out of the bunch, and that the nannies in the 720 (I did not manage to get drift mode fully functional in 6 laps) definitely saved my footwork on the big power sweeper right hander (T4 into T5) before carousel.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:16 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mvez
What I like most about the PCCB (on any Porsche model) is because of this additional bite, the PCCB ABS programs are a bit less intrusive (compared to steel), so if you swap for steel rotors, you get less aggressive ABS which is better for the track. My old 997.1RS had PCCB (converted to steel) and had less ABS/Ice mode intervention than stock steel. Not any different than why for Spec 987 racing, they let 987.1 owners re-program to PCCB ABS in PIWIS for slightly less ABS jump in.

After being on Grand full NCM this weekend with DS1.11 pads, and having way too many ABS interventions (on both Cup2 and Pirelli DH takeoffs), I'm going to see if I can have my ABS switched to PCCB mode as well. Now I kinda wished I would have opted for PCCB instead of steel. I honestly forgot about this little tidbit of information at the time of my order.
I saw that in the PCA rule changes...interesting that you can change ABS flash now.

The PCCB is more of the same feel you get in the pro race cars- you have to smash for a big initial hit and then immediately trail off pressure to avoid lockup etc.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by neoprufrok
Thanks for listening in!
Would love to be listening more, but no new content recently. Miss you two.

And, as many others have stated, thanks to CJ (and you too Rich!) for putting this show on. Bravo, great stuff. Hopefully in the future you can get a 718 GT4 out there to compare if someone is generous enough.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:45 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Would love to be listening more, but no new content recently. Miss you two.

And, as many others have stated, thanks to CJ (and you too Rich!) for putting this show on. Bravo, great stuff. Hopefully in the future you can get a 718 GT4 out there to compare if someone is generous enough.
that won't be an issue.
the biggest issue is that when I have been free recently- rich is doing this whole saving people lives with heart transplant things.

WHATEVER BRO
Old 11-05-2018, 04:15 PM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 168 Posts

that won't be an issue.
the biggest issue is that when I have been free recently- rich is doing this whole saving people lives with heart transplant things.

WHATEVER BRO
LOL. I'm on it. Getting the podcast postprocessing lab mobile... so should be able to knock them out quicker.

Old 11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,618 Posts

that won't be an issue.

WHATEVER BRO
LOL, Rich you selfish bastard! You need to be focusing on the important thing like making podcasts! Forget those people and their lives, don't you know what really matters!?!?!

I'm never going to complain about free entertainment that someone else is providing for next to no compensation (if absolutely none) out of their own life. Thanks to both of you for doing all of this to keep us informed and entertained. Looking forward to hearing Boochi's report from the Culinanny press launch.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:32 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 603 Posts

I know from my experience the other day that the big speed giveaway for me was actually Turn 1...hesitant to roll too much speed up the hill since last time we were out there together. That time I was in my 675 I tracked all the way right and ended up in the grass at the apex of 2 and lost the plastic air dam...tried to be a hero through T1 and could not get the car to turn.
Hahah, sounds familiar. Many of us have done that. Luckily, the uphill helps to slow down enough for it not to be catastrophic. No damage of any kind from this T1 hero attempt :-)

Old 11-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 108 Posts

I saw that in the PCA rule changes...interesting that you can change ABS flash now.

The PCCB is more of the same feel you get in the pro race cars- you have to smash for a big initial hit and then immediately trail off pressure to avoid lockup etc.
That is exactly why I like pads which give a similar pedal effect. The PFC08 required a lot of effort, but allowed an aggressive jump in without ABS kicking in, and then you spend the remainder of the brake zone trailing off. It encourages more efficient braking. Was great for 911, and street ABS. Still use it in my 987.1. These new generation of pads, all with uber-flat, super high torque curves still just don't play nice with street GT ABS, IMO. And I'm not somebody who jumps on the brakes, you can literally tip-toe in on DS1.11 and the ABS jumps in.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by yesyoucan
Its purely driver dependent - the cars performance is defined by the driver not the other way round. 😀

Realistically the Mclaren feels much more nimble, is better through transitions and generally feels more balanced.

On straights the 720 just drives away from the RS/GT3. 😀

When CJ does the other thread I'll drag out some time sheets.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wow...this is awesome stuff....now I know this is coming from a lowly 2017 Carrera GTS driver...hope I can find someone to trade the GTS in in for a GT3...but CJ...this is the type of stuff I come to Rennlist for over the last 12 years. Thanks to you and Rob for doing this!
Old 11-05-2018, 08:52 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog

Its purely driver dependent - the cars performance is defined by the driver not the other way round. 😀

Realistically the Mclaren feels much more nimble, is better through transitions and generally feels more balanced.

On straights the 720 just drives away from the RS/GT3. 😀

When CJ does the other thread I'll drag out some time sheets.
I'm intimately aware of this... let's just say that 720s specifically is better suited for Thunderhill and Laguna Seca where it can use it's power.

1;51 at thunderhill and according to Andrie (whom many people on this thread know... it's a 1:48 car at Thunderhill).

Old 11-05-2018, 11:47 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

^^^ Great - thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 vs 2019 GT3 on track- actively updating