Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 AM
Alastair R
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
WTB Patek 5711 Any lead appreciated.
Have a 5711G (and 5127G) "gathering dust" at home.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:19 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,510 Likes on 2,568 Posts

What is it with guys liking both cars and watches?

I have two watches, which is one too many for me. One is a Tag Carrera, which looks and feels good, but doesn't tell time very well. The other is a Rolex sub my dad gave me last year, which obviously needs to be a keeper; the accuracy is great, but I don't wear it much because wearing a Rolex sends a message I don't want to send.

All of this said, I admit that the Rolex Daytona caught my fancy several years ago, and I can't rule out buying one at some point.

I once a had a Chinese fake A. Lange & Sohn which a friend gave me, which looked really nice, and the fake aspect amused me, but one day it softly fell on the carpet and stopped working …
Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 AM
ethan1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
because wearing a Rolex sends a message I don't want to send
Truth be told, it's become very uncomfortable wearing any Rolex past few years. Those of us that are more reserved generally don't prefer the attention so it's been Patek which is elegant but does not draw the attention except for true aficionados.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:57 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 377 Likes on 226 Posts

Here's mine :
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM
TeutonicCarFan
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Get your hands one one of these.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:57 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

I was enjoying this thread, popcorn in hand (I got my GT at MSRP in SoCal)...but now that the ceramic steel Daytona is evoked I'm getting all butt hurt.

I've been 'on the list' since it came out 2-3 years back and have not moved. I know some ADs have some in the safe, damn supply/demand. I'll pop in once every few months just to see one in the flesh (as I still haven't) and the AD makes me feel like a scummy panhandler, as if she was the artisan that constructed the complication herself. After flippantly saying "You might as well give up and just get a Datejust", I commented I'd consider settling on the 43mm SeaDweller - she cuts me off laughing, throws her arms in the air, and mocks me "oh...he'll settle for a SeaDweller he says". You've got to be kidding me. I'll never give them my business.

So, if anyone wants to part with their white 116500ln at MSRP, hit me up - I can return the good karma and sell you a Pappy 20 at MSRP...you know, for that good karma win win type vibe.
That Lange though...yikes!
Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

What is it with guys liking both cars and watches?

I have two watches, which is one too many for me. One is a Tag Carrera, which looks and feels good, but doesn't tell time very well. The other is a Rolex sub my dad gave me last year, which obviously needs to be a keeper; the accuracy is great, but I don't wear it much because wearing a Rolex sends a message I don't want to send.

All of this said, I admit that the Rolex Daytona caught my fancy several years ago, and I can't rule out buying one at some point.

I once a had a Chinese fake A. Lange & Sohn which a friend gave me, which looked really nice, and the fake aspect amused me, but one day it softly fell on the carpet and stopped working …
Both subjectively better, but likely more expensive vices than hookers and coke to quote mooty

IMO they're mostly analog, high quality, carefully crafted goods that deliver on their intended purpose which I appreciate. Which isn't simply telling the time, or taking you from A to B. An Apple Watch or Prius can do the same thing as a Swiss watch or German sports car, but in such different ways

Originally Posted by ethan1
Truth be told, it's become very uncomfortable wearing any Rolex past few years. Those of us that are more reserved generally don't prefer the attention so it's been Patek which is elegant but does not draw the attention except for true aficionados.
This is very dependent I guess on where you live. Where I am based SS Rolex are a dime a dozen and in Texas I believe they are called a "Texas Timex"

I am about as reserved/attention loathing as it can get, and hate the PCLs on my Daytona, but it's such an awesome watch I'll make an exception. Just rock what you like and don't worry about what other's think, unless it's a safety issue - then of course prudence is best

Originally Posted by switchface
I was enjoying this thread, popcorn in hand (I got my GT at MSRP in SoCal)...but now that the ceramic steel Daytona is evoked I'm getting all butt hurt.

I've been 'on the list' since it came out 2-3 years back and have not moved. I know some ADs have some in the safe, damn supply/demand. I'll pop in once every few months just to see one in the flesh (as I still haven't) and the AD makes me feel like a scummy panhandler, as if she was the artisan that constructed the complication herself. After flippantly saying "You might as well give up and just get a Datejust", I commented I'd consider settling on the 43mm SeaDweller - she cuts me off laughing, throws her arms in the air, and mocks me "oh...he'll settle for a SeaDweller he says". You've got to be kidding me. I'll never give them my business.

So, if anyone wants to part with their white 116500ln at MSRP, hit me up - I can return the good karma and sell you a Pappy 20 at MSRP...you know, for that good karma win win type vibe.
That Lange though...yikes!
I will do white 116500 at MSRP + 3k ADM if anyone is moving theirs.. (I know the market value is over 20k at the moment!)
Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ethan1
To me, wearing a Rolex could be perceived in the same category as driving a Rolls Royce. Everyone recognizes that it's pricey and many likely view it as an intentional status symbol. Unfortunate, since they're actually nice watches.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:20 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Both subjectively better, but likely more expensive vices than hookers and coke to quote mooty

IMO they're mostly analog, high quality, carefully crafted goods that deliver on their intended purpose which I appreciate. Which isn't simply telling the time, or taking you from A to B. An Apple Watch or Prius can do the same thing as a Swiss watch or German sports car, but in such different ways

This is very dependent I guess on where you live. Where I am based SS Rolex are a dime a dozen and in Texas I believe they are called a "Texas Timex"

I am about as reserved/attention loathing as it can get, and hate the PCLs on my Daytona, but it's such an awesome watch I'll make an exception. Just rock what you like and don't worry about what other's think, unless it's a safety issue - then of course prudence is best

I will do white 116500 at MSRP + 3k ADM if anyone is moving theirs.. (I know the market value is over 20k at the moment!)
I'll do one better
MSRP + 3.5K + yamazaki 12 year old
Old 08-16-2018, 05:27 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

wearing a Rolex sends a message I don't want to send.
...and driving a Porsche doesn’t?
Old 08-16-2018, 05:31 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotic
I'll do one better
MSRP + 3.5K + yamazaki 12 year old
Hehe then I'm out! I'm on some lists for the white dial but don't expect a call any time soon (if at all....) Happy with my black dial
Old 08-16-2018, 05:49 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n3rd
...and driving a Porsche doesn’t?
Not in my neck of the woods. No one other than the rare sports car enthusiast notices the cars.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:56 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 745 Likes on 404 Posts

Not in my neck of the woods. No one other than the rare sports car enthusiast notices the cars.
Not sure where you live but that is crazy that people notice a Rolex and perceive it to be ritzy yet no one notices a Porsche. I can't even fathom where that could be.

In SoCal a Rolex is like a Timex. I have three and wear them all the time. I have yet to get anyone but the occasional person at C&C even notice.

...and wearing a Patek as low key. Now that is funny.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Not sure where you live but that is crazy that people notice a Rolex and perceive it to be ritzy yet no one notices a Porsche. I can't even fathom where that could be.

In SoCal a Rolex is like a Timex. I have three and wear them all the time. I have yet to get anyone but the occasional person at C&C even notice.

I'm in Maryland, middle class to upper middle class area, with some wealthy people here and there. A lot of guys seem to be watch enthusiasts (I don't notice other people's watches, usually don't even notice whether they have one), but the Porsches are just another sporty car, and most people around here probably view the Boxster as being essentially the same as a GT3.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:18 PM
n3rd
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
I bet 9/10 know Rolex and maybe 1/20-1/50 know what a Patek is. Def more low key than Rolex.

Last edited by n3rd; 08-16-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3