991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,506 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Yippiekiaye
first of all I don't recall you asking that question.

Second of all, I have limited time on the track.

Third of all, its irrelevant. You have every right to spend your money freely on whatever you choose. Why do you judge others for spending their money on things they value?
I'm not judging. It's just a discussion of what we all like and why. Obviously, we have varying perspectives and values that influence our purchasing decisions.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I'm not judging. It's just a discussion of what we all like and why. Obviously, we have varying perspectives and values that influence our purchasing decisions.
Thats what Ive been trying to say for the past 20 posts. lol.

We have varying perspectives on what we value and buy. You like to track Porsches and will spend whatever money it takes for that passion. Others will buy watches. None of it is really justifiable to the common person making 60k a year but it doesn't matter. Do what your passion calls for.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

You didn't answer my question: do you drive on track? Please tell me which cars deliver better bang for the buck on track at the GT3 price point.
Who cares if he tracks? Unless you're making a living doing it, it's just a hobby. Any increase in performance is to satisfy your (and my) ego, not to put food on the table.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:02 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 211 Posts

Is this the bickering thread?
Old 08-17-2018, 06:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Thats what Ive been trying to say for the past 20 posts. lol.

We have varying perspectives on what we value and buy. You like to track Porsches and will spend whatever money it takes for that passion. Others will buy watches. None of it is really justifiable to the common person making 60k a year but it doesn't matter. Do what your passion calls for.
My main point is that, functionally, cheap watches can fully do what expensive watches do, but cheap cars can't do what Porsches do. The track is where the objective performance differences are most obvious.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:20 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You buy a Porsche for the performance and experience, and they’re worth the money, not overpriced. The high profit margin is a result of engineering excellence - Porsche has earned it.
My main point is that, functionally, cheap watches can fully do what expensive watches do, but cheap cars can't do what Porsches do. The track is where the objective performance differences are most obvious.
Now you're just focusing on functionality. What happened to performance, experience, and excellence? And if you're focusing on functionality, how about the driving in snow, hauling things, transporting family, driving in comfort, reducing fuel consumption? GT3 sucks at all of those so it should be cheaper than a prius or f150! And if you're talking about track functionality only, buy a spec Miata, spec Boxster, cup car or something and call it a day.

Originally Posted by ranger22
Is this the bickering thread?
It's a Friday. And it's all a friendly debate IMO...one we could just as well be doing over beers during happy hour.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

a miata can do what a Porsche does.

infact here is a list of 10 track oriented cars that can do what a Porsche does.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...st-track-cars/

it’s just that you PREFER Porsche. I don’t fault you for it one bit. You would rather drive a Porsche on the track than anything else.

and myself and others would rather wear a Patek on a night out than a Tag or Casio.

its all a matter of preference and just as the cheaper car can do what a Porsche can do, a cheaper watch can do what a Patek can do.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

The car that started this thread sold apparently, so can we all let this useless thread which has dissolved into an argument about fine watches just die already?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:44 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnny2five
It's a Friday. And it's all a friendly debate IMO...one we could just as well be doing over beers during happy hour.
Agreed, all in good fun, no high stakes here.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Disclosure: This thread made me wear the Rolex today.

Cars are only transportation if that's all you use them for - in which case, no need to spend more for a Porsche. But cars can also provide dynamic driving experiences, in which case they're more than just transportation, and going around in loops on tracks certainly has nothing to do with transportation. Do you drive on track? No Toyota is as good on track as any Porsche, there's an objective performance difference, not to mention a subjective difference that pretty much everyone would agree favors Porsches.

Functionally, all watches do is tell time, date, stopwatch, etc. Cheap watches can do that fully as well as expensive ones. Beyond those functions, the value of watches is in their artistry, heritage, miniaturized mechanical design and construction, symbolism, status indication, etc. Aside from a few little things visibly moving around, watches are basically static objects and can only provide experiences based on how we respond in our minds to owning and wearing them.
I would bet my Rolex(s) there are Supra's that would smoke you on the track. Maybe even 86's.

Driver skill>*
Old 08-17-2018, 06:58 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Agreed, all in good fun, no high stakes here.

absolutley. No fighting here. Just a friendly discussion.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

absolutley. No fighting here. Just a friendly discussion.
... especially compared to the preceding discussion in this thread.

If I wind up buying a Daytona at some point, I'm blaming you guys!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:04 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

... especially compared to the preceding discussion in this thread.

If I wind up buying a Daytona at some point, I'm blaming you guys!
buy a Patek. It’s “better”.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:06 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sold off most of my watches, except my Pam 249 Cali dial Limited Edition. I will never sell it, and enjoy wearing that 47 MM beast. I know most here own watches worth 50K more, but their is just something about the PAM 249 that speaks to me.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I bought one of these cheapies. Love the way it feels on my wrist. My third Heuer. Last two have been bulletproof and super durable. Not a Rolex, but I'm not a Rolex either.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Golf Blue .2GT3