Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 05:56 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Fansonly, I don't believe in refinishing wheels if they're not damaged, particularly wheels as superb as these. I'm a OEM ***** or snob, whatever you want to call it. Plus I think the satin aluminum finish would be difficult to replicate.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Long drive today. To those who don't know, I purchased this GT3 on the spur of the moment even though I had a GT3 Touring already on order and wasn't a fan of the wing.

After several month, I've developed a love for the wing. It is a big part of this car. See it at just the right angle and it's perfection. Still not a fan of the two plastic air scoops (991.1 wing is more elegant in my eyes) but they don't bother me nearly as much as before, and they look awesome through rear view mirror and one or two exterior angles.

Car is a 150 miles short of magic 2k miles. Plan on 2k mile oil change and analysis and rev report. After 1800 miles I can tell a difference. The car is smoother and shifts are a bit less notchy. Love how these cars, if treated properly, get better over time.
Looking to improve shifter as it's still too high for my liking. Any ideas?

Also, trying to get definitive word on whether or not adding 911R SMFW will impact factory warranty. I had an expert tell me definitive 'no, it will not implicate warranty' but I'm skeptical. Calling Porsche NA this week for answer.

Still can't get over how effortless this car is to drive. It's also not too loud in the cabin. Used to think it was loud at 80MPH but changed my opinion. Just have to get used to higher RPM highway cruising.

I highly recommend similar Porsche crest to anyone with modest/subdued theme. This crest with the wheels couldn't have come any perfect from the factory. So much so that I'm stalling to install OEM satin aluminum wheels.
Attached Images       
Old 10-19-2018, 05:36 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

So I put my new set of satin aluminum wheels on today, and HATE them! Not so much that they look bad... just can't match the subtle perfection of the OEM platinum satin wheels with the Slate Grey.

Would've switched back immediately but the shop (Speedsport Tuning, Danbury, CT) was closing as they finished my car.

Maybe selling this set of satin aluminum wheels for $7500. Shoot me a private message if you're interested.
Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2018, 08:08 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Satin looks OK, but I agree platinum looks better.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:48 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 271 Posts

I have an inclination for aluminum
I think it looks good on yours but you can’t go wrong!

Old 10-21-2018, 04:29 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^Looking very sharp Neurotic!
I have it a couple days to see if they'd grow on me, and they did. Just not enough to keep them in place of the others.

Swapping back on Monday. Picked up a nail in right rear Michelins at 1500 miles. Losing a pound of pressure per week. Replace or patch? What a waste of money. Hate it but will probably just go for a new tire on Monday when I do the swap.

Dunlops came on my satin aluminum wheels. Was never a fan until now. After about 100 miles, I can confidently say that the car feels a tad better on the road with the Dunlops versus the Michelins. Turn-in seems just as sharp too, at least for casual street driving. Silky smooth and perhaps even a bit quieter.

Plan to sell complete set of satin aluminum wheels with Dunlop tires (300 miles) and TPMS. If you know someone interested, please have them shoot me a direct-message. Price is $7500 plus shipping if not pickup in CT.
Attached Images   
Old 10-31-2018, 05:54 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts
Default CXX Painted Rear Air Intakes

Figured I'd post this in BlueHorseshoe's Slate Grey thread. Haven't seen any other painted rear air intakes. Just got my car this week and think they came out great. Expensive option at $2200, but I think it was worth it. It would probably be more dramatic on a lighter color.

Slate Grey Painted Rear Intakes
Old 10-31-2018, 06:36 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^^Wow! Very sharp. Haven't seen this done before. $2200 must be CXX? Please post some pictures showing your entire car.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 PM
J3R0ME
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
^^^Looking very sharp Neurotic!
I have it a couple days to see if they'd grow on me, and they did. Just not enough to keep them in place of the others.

Swapping back on Monday. Picked up a nail in right rear Michelins at 1500 miles. Losing a pound of pressure per week. Replace or patch? What a waste of money. Hate it but will probably just go for a new tire on Monday when I do the swap.

Dunlops came on my satin aluminum wheels. Was never a fan until now. After about 100 miles, I can confidently say that the car feels a tad better on the road with the Dunlops versus the Michelins. Turn-in seems just as sharp too, at least for casual street driving. Silky smooth and perhaps even a bit quieter.

Plan to sell complete set of satin aluminum wheels with Dunlop tires (300 miles) and TPMS. If you know someone interested, please have them shoot me a direct-message. Price is $7500 plus shipping if not pickup in CT.
Too bad you're not in Vancouver. I've had some regret in ordering the satin platinum wheels. I really want to trade for the satin aluminum. I was thinking of asking my SA to see if any of his other GT3 customers would be willing to trade.

IMO, those satin aluminum look really good on slate grey.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:35 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

^^ Ditto, I actually prefer the satin aluminum wheel to the darker platinum wheels. The contrast between the slate grey and satin aluminum wheels simply rocks! I say give it time...
Old 10-31-2018, 11:11 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

They grew on me quite a bit over the week and a half they were on my car. Went from hate to really like. Just a bit too much bling for my build.
I did notice that they looked better in pics versus reality in my eyes. Whereas the platinum satin wheels are the opposite. Very hard to capture the subtlety.

With black LEDs, my refinished badge and black trim on the Slate Grey, the platinum satin wheels are just a perfect match if you're into a more stealthy look. But in the end, I really believe it's whatever you get used to first.
Attached Images     
Old 11-01-2018, 10:50 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
Long drive today. To those who don't know, I purchased this GT3 on the spur of the moment even though I had a GT3 Touring already on order and wasn't a fan of the wing.

After several month, I've developed a love for the wing. It is a big part of this car. See it at just the right angle and it's perfection.
"It is a big part of this car." = So true. It's just not a GT3 with the beautiful wing chopped off. Nice photos of that gorgeous heritage paint, too!

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal