Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 06:32 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Beautiful car. Hope to see it around the area at some point.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo
Great post and pictures-its greatly appreciated.

Slate grey 615 is one color I’m considering for my GT3RS.
It works so well on the RS with all the carbon fiber and additional black accents. I'd spec Satin Aluminum wheels and LEDs in black and never look back. Then you can get yourself the other OEM wheels in black and Platinum Satin and it would be like having three cars where each of the wheels would also match perfectly. Good luck!

*Edit. Actually, I'd spec the magnesium wheels beyond shadow of a doubt. Yet another look that would work splendidly.

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-19-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
wow , not often such a subtle presentation for one of the pinnacles of Porsche's performance products , surely many here to admire and complement your package
to Sharing with your pictures and thoughts
surprised You're not giving Champion a 5 , i'm certainly no VIP customer but always have been treated with respect while receiving care in the delivery and service of my GT3.
Congrats .
Thanks for admiring my 'package'. LOL
No issue with Champion other than no communication with management. Couldn't even get a return phone call on one occasion. I spent a couple years in the car biz and always appreciated the managers who were accessible to customers. (Some would think they're too important to speak with customers.) Always thought it was a nice touch for them to be loosely involved in the process. I'd say a significant part of their job is to reinforce the brand of the dealership and ensure customer satisfaction. Over there it felt like they were doing me a favor selling me a $200k car, Well perhaps they were in a way because I heard there were 3 people lined up after me to do the deal, and that was after I took delivery. I literally put a deposit down minutes after it was supposedly 'available'. Having said all that... an efficient buying experience > any hand holding in my book so I'd have no problem buying another car from them in the future.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:10 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your comments and well wishes! It was a long and bumpy road. Porsche certainly doesn't make it easy on their customers! Now I need to plan a road trip to get past the break-in period.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 83 Posts

This car is stunning. Absolutely love the color. Mine is pretty much the same build except I'm doing metallic black for the color and a few more interior options. Great to see those pictures with the wheels in the same configuration that I have coming. Fingers crossed for a mid August delivery.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

RSA: Can NEVER go wrong with black. And no color more classic than black. Get a good ceramic coating on it and it will almost always sparkle and be easy to clean.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:40 PM
80p
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
evilfij: Thank you. And you're absolutely correct about the trim, only $3,480 for the leather interior buys you trim on the doors.
Does that also apply to standard interior Tourings? US configurator explicitly says door trim panels are part of the package, doesnt include footnote or specify door trim for leather interior only
Old 06-19-2018, 07:31 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by 80p
Does that also apply to standard interior Tourings? US configurator explicitly says door trim panels are part of the package, doesnt include footnote or specify door trim for leather interior only
It does. The door trim referred to is actually the door sill which says GT3 in black aluminium. If you want the stripe on the door in something other the plastic you need to order the leather interior for $3480 or whatever it costs.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:49 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 52 Posts

Great write-up and pics. I'm jealous. My Slate Grey GT3 got pushed back to September. The houndstooth centers came out great. Enjoy it!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:39 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Just out for a drive and I can confidently say that interior trim, even the integrated plastic trim on the doors, is perfectly acceptable. Blends in nicely and, to my surprise, somehow does not diminish the overall feel of cabin quality. It's all business. Doesn't feel at all out of place. For the first time, I can finally understand those who purposely do not spec leather.
Embodies the character of the car.

Got my new license plate yesterday but waiting for these to arrive before install. Always nice to get rid of temp plate.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1046...ate-mount.html

Modern nano/ceramic coatings are amazing. This is how the car looks after a hundred miles in the rain and 400 miles since last wash. Here's a peek.

Attached Images   

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-20-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

I really enjoyed your review and thoughts. Car is just beautiful. I am especially interested b/c I currently have a 991.1 GTS 7 spd that I am thinking about upgrading to a GT3. I love my current car but feel like I would enjoy the sportiness of a GT3T more. I know this is a GT forum, but in your experience so far, is the GT3 an $80K dollar better ride? Does it feel significantly faster and handle a lot better on the back roads it looks like you are driving?

Jim
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I really enjoyed your review and thoughts. Car is just beautiful. I am especially interested b/c I currently have a 991.1 GTS 7 spd that I am thinking about upgrading to a GT3. I love my current car but feel like I would enjoy the sportiness of a GT3T more. I know this is a GT forum, but in your experience so far, is the GT3 an $80K dollar better ride? Does it feel significantly faster and handle a lot better on the back roads it looks like you are driving?

Jim
.1 GTS is a phenomenal car, obviously it's a subjective decision on whether a .2 GT3 is worth 80k more. In my mind, I wouldn't hesitate. The GT3, to me, is worth it for the engine alone, let alone the better suspension and the 6MT. There is no doubt it would FEEL much faster on backroads, largely because the spectacular engine/exhaust sound, as far as BEING much faster...I doubt you want to go 9/10s on a backroads to see that diff. That said, if I didn't already have an allocation for a GT3 at MSRP or close to it, I'd wait until next year until prices settle out a bit before trading from the .1 GTS.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM
smporsche
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4

Jim
I had a 991.1 GTS and loved it. It's an amazing car. Having said that, the 991.2 GT3 is a transformative experience. You just have to drive it to understand how incredible it really is.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:48 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

96redLT4:

I was reserving a comparison between .1 GTS and GT3 for after I've had the chance to take the GT3 through it's paces (post break-in).
My initial impression: They are much closer overall than I had anticipated. In all fairness, I've been stuck at roughly 4k RPMs on public roads so I can't provide a fair assessment. Obviously the gap will likely (hopefully) widen as I get more comfortable with the car and have access to 9k RPMs.

Highly subjective, but here's my initial summary for what it's worth.
Chassis/Suspension: GTS 7, GT3 9
Motor: GTS 7, GT3 9
Steering feel/Handling: GTS 7, GT3 9 (still sorta numb otherwise a perfect 10)
Transmission: GTS w/ short-shifter 7, w/out short-shifter 6, GT3 10
Exhaust note: GTS 8, GT3 9
*Practicality: GTS 10, GT3 w/ non-folding buckets 4
Aesthetics: GTS 8, GT3 9 GT3, GT3 Touring 10
Value: Pre-owned 991.1 GTS 10, GT3 8

The base 991.2 GT3 price is $143,600, so the difference is considerably less than $80k. At that price point, the GT3 is, beyond shadow of a doubt, worth every additional penny.
If on a tight budget, there are really no essential options. First one I'd add would be FAL. None of the options really make any material difference that's directly related to overall driving experience. But add countless and unnecessary options (like most of us do) and a likely market premium... you get to your $80k+... And at that price point, I'm not so sure the GT3 is worth that much more than a well-equipped .1 GTS.

I suspect one could extract ~85% of the overall experience/satisfaction level from a 991.1 GTS vs. .2 GT3 on public roads. Obviously this percentage decreases sharply the nearer and more frequently you drive them at the limits. But on public roads, how frequently are we driving at the limits due to restrictions and/or ability?

Having said all that, these cars are more about our emotions and how they make us feel. They have much less to do with a bunch of quantifiable measures (unless your priorities lean more toward track performance). So nobody can answer your question except you!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 68 Posts

Actually I don't think the wheels will look better darker or lighter ! Good choice

Last edited by Carrera2RS; 06-21-2018 at 03:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal