Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 05:46 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Been a while and several hundred miles since my last post (still not broken in yet) but let's just say I'm enjoying my GT3 a little more each I'm behind the wheel. I'll have some updates post break-in.

Latest journey was trip to Limerock on Saturday with my 10 year-old daughter as co-pilot. The drive to/from was as great as the race. Parked next to some cool cars and met some great people. Slate Grey, even on a modern Porsche, seems right at home even with the classics.

Received two items in the mail today.

1. A Genuine Porsche Hood Crest refinished in "light stainless" Cerakote + satin black & metallic grey automotive enamel ($149.99 plus shipping from Jim at Porsche Crests). Jim will make you any design that you can dream up. Some pictures here. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/jtyurg/library/Refinished%20Porsche%20Hood%20Crests?sort=6&page=1

It is of high quality, and you can easily tell that Jim takes pride in his work based on the attention to detail alone.
Crest was inspired in part by many old Slate Grey 911s that I've come across in the past, including this beauty from recent Greenwich Concours (and as featured in Stout's 000 issue four). This minimalist crest just feels right for this GT3.

2. Classic Pepita KeyRing in black leather and white wool ($89 from Sascha at https://www.rennwerkstatt.us). For any of you who aren't aware of the fine products offered through Sascha's site, check it out and I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This keychain matches Garry's custom wool houndstooth inserts (ClassicFX) perfectly. Rennwerks also sells the same keychain to match OEM black / dark silver houndstooth inserts.
Attached Images         

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 07-24-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:35 AM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Love this build! UNI Slate is my joint favorite color.

Thought long and hard about a Slate Touring, and even considered CXXing the painted rocker to look like my favorite slate Porsche:

Old 07-24-2018, 10:49 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 174 Posts

Great thread on your car, lot's of good resources listed as well. Somehow I had only your pre-delivery pics links on the list. Changed it to this. Love the look you've got going with your car- perfection!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:34 PM
sgnl05
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Blue -
i was going to ask if that was you up at Lime Rock on Saturday. I was standing right there when you parked. Slate looks great. The whole spec is working so well together.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:58 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

IrishAndy: So many amazing vintage Porsche colors to choose from... but Slate’s at the very top of my list as well. It never gets old. Just the right amount of color. Like non-metallic black, it’s a religion. Looking forward to seeing your Touring.

Thanks Montoya. Really enjoying this car

sgnl05: Sorry to have missed you, always such a great experience at Limerock. I was in and out of the Porsche tent, nice but not the best place to watch the race that’s for sure. Well over a hundred Porsches I bet. Nice turnout and perfect weather.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:09 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Great color! Of course, I’m biased.Hope to bump into you around the FC.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:25 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats! Happy you finally got a car you love
Old 08-18-2018, 10:53 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Default Bath, insatalled new crest

After a long drive this morning, washed for the first time today. Rinse, foam, rinse, blow dry. Never touched the car. Followed this process for my black GTS and it stayed pristine. Now this doesn’t get the car perfect, but very close. My philosophy with these cars when it comes to washing: more is less. Slate Grey is a religion. It's totally understated but could never tire of this color. It’s almost as satisfying to clean as non-metallic black.

Installed new Porsche crest finished in Cerakote (light stainless), satin black, metallic grey automotive enamel. Jim (porschecrests@gmail.com) does OEM quality work. It is perfection with Slate Grey. It was getting dark by the time I finished but was able to take a few pictures.

Also, received like new set of OEM Satin Aluminum wheels today from fellow Rennlist member @CGELD. (Chris, thanks for the great representation of the wheels and super smooth transaction.). Saw his post and literally told him that I’d take the wheels within minutes. It’ll be hard to top the Platinum Satin wheels but I’ll try them on ASAP. I think the contrast will be a nice change. The Satin Aluminum GT3 wheels are my all-time favorite, both in design and finish.

Attached Images  

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 08-18-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:00 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Looking good!! Can't wait to see it with the new satin alum wheels. A beautiful car.

The platinum looks good as well. Wouldn't have been a fan of the black wheels. No contrast and just get lost.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:46 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Thanks George. Next week I'll try to get those wheels on the car. One of my least favorite aspects of the GT3 is Porsche's poorly designed center-locks. All show.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:35 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Interested to see the aluminum wheels on, I'm very biased towards silver/alu GT3 wheels and prefer that on just about every GT3 spec I've seen to date personally, but I will say the platinum wheels with your PTS slate grey color really clicks in my eyes

Something about the similar tone from paint to wheels on the grey looks sinister, tying in with the awesome new crest you got on the hood as well.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:03 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Daily drove my GT3 for the past several days. Total joy. No issues with the buckets. Seems like they get more comfortable over time as your body adapts. Only two issue daily driving: 1) Parking is always stressful. I'm one of those nut jobs who only parks in an end spot as far away from everything as possible. If there's no safe spot, I don't park. For this reason, this could never be my full-time daily driver. 2) Too difficult to drive near the speed limit. I'm on probation year 3 of 3 for multiple speeding tickets. If I get any moving violation over the next 9 months, I automatically lose my license for 90-days and must retake a miserable two-day driving education course. Made it over two years without any tickets, can't blow it now. Must get a solid radar detector but refuse to get one integrated as cars are rarely the same after they've been taken apart and put back together by the installers. Need a good portable one.

Still only have about 1700 miles on the clock. I feel like quite an idiot for driving all these miles under 4-5k RPMs. It's getting more and more difficult. Everyone I mention this to thinks I'm insane for following break-in procedure as spelled out in the manual. I am almost certain that it doesn't really matter, but I've gone this far... My plan is to get an oil change right at the 2,000 mile mark.

Got the beautiful new satin aluminum OEM wheels but can't seem to get motivated enough to have them installed. Why? Well, I've grown to love the satin platinum wheels, especially since I changed my Porsche crest. Everything works perfectly together on this car. Stealth and understated. Must be seen to be appreciated as pictures do it little justice. I'm definitely going to try the satin aluminum wheels but doubt they'll stay on the car for long.

For some reason, I've never really tried tried the Sport Exhaust. Until yesterday. Drove to New York on the Saw Mill River Parkway and had a blast. Perfect road for this car but quite a tease. Track sessions will be a must later on but so hard to find the time. I've read that sport exhaust on GT cars only applies at low speeds. But this is obviously wrong. It's at low speeds and high RPM over 4k I guess. Awesome sounding exhaust note IMHO, and no reason to explore aftermarket. It's deep and throaty and loud enough for me.

I've been experimenting with the sport chassis button but very hard to distinguish a difference. Handling gets a touch sharper, but can't feel the suspension get any firmer. In either setting, the suspension is compliant and well sorted, even on the roughest of roads, at high speeds and around corners. It's a real highlight in this car for me.

Only complaint so far is the brakes. Don't get me wrong, I love the ceramics. Pedal feel is perfection. Bites hard and furious, and no issues in the rain. But the high-pitched squealing gets tiring after a while. Thought it would've went away by now. Need to do a proper bedding-in session, but need to find a place to do it so I won't lose my license in the process.

Oh and one more. The navigation sucks! Get a phone call and the navigation ends. Switch to tuner and navigation ends. Who designed this garbage. Apple CarPlay plus directions straight from your phone is hard to beat these days. Installed navigation systems in cars these days are a redundant waste.
Love the Bose though, wouldn't spec a GT3 without it. Use it a lot. Mainly radio and music from my iPhone.
Attached Images    

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 08-25-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:40 PM
fansonly
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can stare at photos of your car all day long. It's amazing. I have decided to get slate grey on my inbound touring.

Why have you decided not to paint your wheels and instead order another set in satin aluminum? Are they OEM?
Old 08-26-2018, 02:52 PM
PTSGT3
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

That badge is perfection on your build. Looking forward to seeing the wheels
Old 08-27-2018, 02:44 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 540 Posts

If you don't have any special floormats yet....COCOMATS makes a plain one color Furstil mat in grey that would look great in your car......mine are in black......

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal