Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:15 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes. The Platinum Satin wheels are a genius choice with this color. And this is a poor picture. In real life there's more contrast and the colors are a bit darker. Nice Photoshop work!

Old 06-20-2018, 05:28 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
96redLT4:

I was reserving a comparison between .1 GTS and GT3 for after I've had the chance to take the GT3 through it's paces (post break-in).
My initial impression: They are much closer overall than I had anticipated. In all fairness, I've been stuck at roughly 4k RPMs on public roads so I can't provide a fair assessment. Obviously the gap will likely (hopefully) widen as I get more comfortable with the car and have access to 9k RPMs.

Highly subjective, but here's my initial summary for what it's worth.
Chassis/Suspension: GTS 7, GT3 9
Motor: GTS 7, GT3 9
Steering feel/Handling: GTS 7, GT3 9 (still sorta numb otherwise a perfect 10)
Transmission: GTS w/ short-shifter 7, w/out short-shifter 6, GT3 10
Exhaust note: GTS 8, GT3 9
*Practicality: GTS 10, GT3 w/ non-folding buckets 4
Aesthetics: GTS 8, GT3 9 GT3, GT3 Touring 10
Value: Pre-owned 991.1 GTS 10, GT3 8

The base 991.2 GT3 price is $143,600, so the difference is considerably less than $80k. At that price point, the GT3 is, beyond shadow of a doubt, worth every additional penny.
If on a tight budget, there are really no essential options. First one I'd add would be FAL. None of the options really make any material difference that's directly related to overall driving experience. But add countless and unnecessary options (like most of us do) and a likely market premium... you get to your $80k+... And at that price point, I'm not so sure the GT3 is worth that much more than a well-equipped .1 GTS.

I suspect one could extract ~85% of the overall experience/satisfaction level from a 991.1 GTS vs. .2 GT3 on public roads. Obviously this percentage decreases sharply the nearer and more frequently you drive them at the limits. But on public roads, how frequently are we driving at the limits due to restrictions and/or ability?

Having said all that, these cars are more about our emotions and how they make us feel. They have much less to do with a bunch of quantifiable measures (unless your priorities lean more toward track performance). So nobody can answer your question except you!
Bluehorse, thanks very much for the detailed comparo and thanks smporsche and ajag for your thoughts as well! The GTS is a great car but the Touring is better, just how much better for my needs is the question....

J
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Default Porsche's Abysmal PTS Quality Control

Here's an example of how bad the paint was on my car straight from the factory. The worst part of the 991 always seems to be the rear decklid.
I had my car shipped to Phil at Detailer's Domain with all factory wrapping intact. Champion was great like that, minimum PDI requested, minimum PDI received. Some past dealers have given me a problem with this seemingly simple request.
Good news is that no part of my car was so bad where it couldn't be made perfect. Phil's a perfectionist when it comes to paint correction.

Prior to paint correction, straight from factory condition with no dealer detail.

Post paint correction.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 271 Posts

^looks exactly the same on my PTS

paying a dude a lot of money to fix it
Old 06-24-2018, 08:20 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Default Pepita LWB Seat Inserts

These black/white Pepita inserts from Garry Hall at Classic FX (www.classicfx.net) transformed my GT3’s interior with a vintage elegance that you’d have to see in person to truly appreciate. It’s great to introduce a textile into the cabin to break up all the Alcantara. It goes perfectly. The material is excellent quality (a fine wool I believe, OEM are the same nylon as seatbelts and more slippery).
The covers went on with fairly little fuss. In fact, if I could do it, anybody could do it. Simply remove the base and seat backs (they’re held in with Velcro, but be careful as the passenger’s side bottom also has a clip), remove stock GT3 Alcantara covers (also held on by Velcro) and replace with Garry’s. They fit with the same Velcro points as OEM.

Here are few pics of my black/white Pepita with Porsche's OEM Houndstooths.

My black/white Pepita shown with OEM black/dark silver Houndstooth (leather is OEM Natural Brown, which shows a shade or two darker in person)

Shown with OEM Agate/Geyser Grey Houndstooth

OEM Agate/Geyser Grey Houndstooth (left) and OEM black/dark silver Houndstooth.

I realized my pictures above weren't the cleanest so here are some cropped images so you can get a very good feel for the variations in colors plus the difference between the two OEM Houndstooths and Classic FX Pepita.
And a few more shots of my seats for those considering Garry's inserts.
Attached Images         

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-25-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Here's an example of how bad the paint was on my car straight from the factory. The worst part of the 991 always seems to be the rear decklid.
I had my car shipped to Phil at Detailer's Domain with all factory wrapping intact. Champion was great like that, minimum PDI requested, minimum PDI received. Some past dealers have given me a problem with this seemingly simple request.
Good news is that no part of my car was so bad where it couldn't be made perfect. Phil's a perfectionist when it comes to paint correction.

Prior to paint correction, straight from factory condition with no dealer detail.

Post paint correction.
Curious what is/are the cause of these swirl marks from the factory if the dealer didn't do any prep? What is the 'fix'? Do they have to sand into the clear coat to get them out?? Looks pretty dramatic in these pictures.

Jim
Old 06-24-2018, 10:01 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^Jim, I'm no expert when it comes to paint correction techniques but I do believe that Phil had to cut a bit into the clear coat to polish out those swirl marks before wrapping the entire car in Suntek Ultra. Keep in mind the high intensity lights that he uses totally dramatize the swirls. For example, here's a couple pictures right before it was delivered. I looked over the car very carefully and did not even notice the swirl marks. Also, he may have created some of his own just by removing the rear emblems. (Porsche's finish is super soft. Look at it the wrong way and...)
He seemed to think it was quite superficial.

Much of the car comes wrapped like the hood in the picture below. Notice how the rear has no protection. I think Porsche needs to do a better job by perhaps wrapping more of the car for transit.
Attached Images    
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 203 Posts

Looks great AC!
Old 06-25-2018, 02:47 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

^^^Jim, I'm no expert when it comes to paint correction techniques but I do believe that Phil had to cut a bit into the clear coat to polish out those swirl marks before wrapping the entire car in Suntek Ultra. Keep in mind the high intensity lights that he uses totally dramatize the swirls. For example, here's a couple pictures right before it was delivered. I looked over the car very carefully and did not even notice the swirl marks. Also, he may have created some of his own just by removing the rear emblems. (Porsche's finish is super soft. Look at it the wrong way and...)
He seemed to think it was quite superficial.

Much of the car comes wrapped like the hood in the picture below. Notice how the rear has no protection. I think Porsche needs to do a better job by perhaps wrapping more of the car for transit.

There was a video of an Australian guy taking delivery of a 2RS and it looked like it was in a complete zip up cover. Maybe all the P cars need this for their overseas journey. I was curious too Bluehorseshoe what you did with your GTS. Back to the dealer or sell it yourself? Thanks again for the info.

J
Old 06-25-2018, 05:51 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

^^^Exactly, they should all be zipped up in those transport covers. Audi used to do this for most of their cars, not sure anymore.

My GTS went to fellow Rennlist member MYICEDM3. https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...pasm-pdcc.html
Old 06-25-2018, 08:54 AM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 271 Posts

So while my car was being unloaded from the truck, I had a long conversation with service guys at the dealer. I also said why aren’t these cars totally covered like Audis to protect the paint.

The service guys told me the cars that get totally covered, while are cleaner, have more swirl marks from the material rubbing during transfer. So they actually end up worse!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:45 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
There was a video of an Australian guy taking delivery of a 2RS and it looked like it was in a complete zip up cover. Maybe all the P cars need this for their overseas journey. I was curious too Bluehorseshoe what you did with your GTS. Back to the dealer or sell it yourself? Thanks again for the info.

J
The RS cars are completely wrapped due to their higher price, just like the Bentley Bentayga.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:10 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

That is one sweet GT3 spec OP, congrats and enjoy in good health

Spec'd my GT3 with the standard interior and I love it, feel like it suits the GT car in a way. Agree with you 100% though that at least the trim should extend to the doors...thinking of doing the DB Carbon inserts to remedy that but not sold on how it gets placed on top of the existing vinyl trim
Old 06-25-2018, 07:00 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Sam, even the integrated door trim I totally dig after about a thousand miles. Doesn't bother me anymore. Before delivery I obsessed over that carbon fiber trim and felt the height when applied on top of the plastic door trim might appear awkward.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Sam, even the integrated door trim I totally dig after about a thousand miles. Doesn't bother me anymore. Before delivery I obsessed over that carbon fiber trim and felt the height when applied on top of the plastic door trim might appear awkward.
Very true - once the car is put in drive the last thing I am thinking about is the interior

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal