Sponsored by:

Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 09:39 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bluehorseshoe
It works so well on the RS with all the carbon fiber and additional black accents. I'd spec Satin Aluminum wheels and LEDs in black and never look back. Then you can get yourself the other OEM wheels in black and Platinum Satin and it would be like having three cars where each of the wheels would also match perfectly. Good luck!

*Edit. Actually, I'd spec the magnesium wheels beyond shadow of a doubt. Yet another look that would work splendidly.
Well my dealer sent me a text asking me to submit my PTS build- previously I had a lizard build with a PTS request. Sounds like we are likely approved...but nothing official yet, just my GMs opinion on the timing/PTS submission.

I am going slate 615 but slightly different build than you. Big difference being, as a track focused car in slate (historic!) I’m trying to limit the weight as much as I can.

Standard steel brakes in red (had pccb in my gt4 and imo it’s not worth the value or worry...but they work and look great! If not 10k to buy and 23k to replace I’d get them. Weight savings would be argued, but RS is a track oriented car.

Standard xenons. I debated long and hard on this. In all the classic slate cars I see non black headlights. I’m going with these as an homage to those...and I’m just not a fan of the leds on the 911 (double bugeye). But one can’t argue they are phenomenal. The clear corners will help pull this off imo.

Standard interior with WP and black wheels. I debated going with aurum but Black is fitting for the WP.

No FAL, I’ve driven many low cars with no lift and am fine using angles and avoiding inclines. I’m also worried about it becoming a paperweight on the front as well with a few failures on the Gt3 forum.

No Bose. No leather. Simple as an RS should be.

This is mostly locked to my dealer but may change wheels...ahhh! Anyways hopefully it’s approved and and I have your cars cousin.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Congrats! That is an awesome build!!

Just one thought, I dig that you're going Xenons as they feel more old school, but would either change them to PDLS or change wheels to something other than black. In my opinion, with black wheels those clear Xenons will look awkward. Food for thought. Good luck.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:06 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Congrats! That is an awesome build!!

Just one thought, I dig that you're going Xenons as they feel more old school, but would either change them to PDLS or change wheels to something other than black. In my opinion, with black wheels those clear Xenons will look awkward. Food for thought. Good luck.
so aurum...😉
Old 06-29-2018, 10:33 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Tough call. I know you don't care for the LEDs but the reality is that the Black LEDs perfectly fit the Slate Grey. The outer ring is very close in color to Slate. Whereas all the other headlights have the light grey outer trim. No big deal but if you're dead set on the satin black wheels, you might also want to consider the Black LEDs. They were all made for each other!

And I can see why you'd want to go for those satin black wheels. Seems like they are a perfect compliment with WP. I'd say that if you want to complete the look to perfection, only the Black LEDs can pull this off!!!

I see they don't offer Xenons with PDLS. Shame on them. Porsche money making machine pushing everyone for the up-charge to Black LEDs. Perhaps they're offered outside of configurator? They are the chameleon headlight and work with just about anything.

Last suggestion. Don't go by the configurator. Go to dealer and look at the base Xenons outside in the sunlight. And if you still like them, go for it. It's just that they look a bit washed out in daylight. However, they do have a bit of black on the bottoms.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:02 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Could you post some more pictures of your headlights next to the paint?
Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-30-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:49 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

From Insta Slate Touring with base Xenons.
Attached Images  

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-30-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:10 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

^ I agree with bluehorseshoe that the black LEDs would look really good on your slate grey/black build. The one thing I will say having the black LEDs on my .2 C4 is that they can appear from grey with silver tones in direct sunlight to very very dark/smoked out looking in low light situations, and that's about the only critique of the black LEDs I have.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:30 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 624 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
^ I agree with bluehorseshoe that the black LEDs would look really good on your slate grey/black build. The one thing I will say having the black LEDs on my .2 C4 is that they can appear from grey with silver tones in direct sunlight to very very dark/smoked out looking in low light situations, and that's about the only critique of the black LEDs I have.
All better than the bright chrome of the xenons. And the light output is so much better (bonus if you drive at night).
Old 06-30-2018, 11:56 AM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33

All better than the bright chrome of the xenons. And the light output is so much better (bonus if you drive at night).
In your opinion I heard also that the US LEDs get neutered due to regs but don't personally know if this is true or not. In any case I am a fan of the LEDs, have them on both my 991.2s. Love the DRL halo look personally, but know others who on the opposite end hate it.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mech33

There is a great comparison video on YouTube of the two lights. If I remember correctly, the LEDs with low beam produced more lumens than the xenons.

However, the xenons produced more lumens than the LEDs with high beams (likely due to NA restrictions). But interesting non the less for us here in the states. Xenons were phenomenal compared to other car industry standard lights, leds even more so.

With that said, I sent a text today to my GM to add the black LEDs to my build. The pics helped me decide, thank you! I really don’t feel there is a bad choice with either but with all the black bits from the RS and WP the Black leds will flow better.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:22 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Congrats! Nice choice, no bad decision. It's just Porsche needling us by not giving exactly what is wanted. Why did they change the perfect Xenons PDLS from 2016 model year?

I'll tell you why, to sell more Black LEDs.

I tortured myself on this decision for Touring build. I too prefer the classic more elegant appeal of the Xenons. It's just between the shiny plastic and light trim they just don't work well on some cars. On GT Silver and some other lighter colors they work brilliantly. All subjective.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:43 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Default OEM Rear Badge Template Demystified

Third time's a charm. After searching around and calling four different local dealers' service departments, all of which were totally aloof, I finally found a Porsche 991 template to install rear badging. No dealer even said that such a template existed. I even tried a few authorized Porsche body shops. No luck. WTF?

Finally got introduced to Dirk at Darien Detail in Darien, CT. They do high-end custom detailing and PPF. He installed my rear PORSCHE badge with precision and care. Perfect factory positioning. Nice to lose yet another 'GT3' from the car (tossed the GT3 center caps upon delivery), much cleaner look. (BTW, let me know if any of you have an inexpensive manufacturing contact. I'd like to buy one template and have it replicated to sell. Every reputable detailer and body shop should have these but for some odd reason they are impossible to find and very expensive >$1,000.)

I prefer most cars bare as possible with little to no badging. My black GTS, for example, looked perfect with nothing out back. But this GT3, well it felt a bit awkward totally bare.

The impossible-to-find template consists of a main unit that fits on the rear of the 991. Then you must buy individual model designation templates designed to fit inside the main piece.

One other observation after spending a few hours in the car today... Bose and Apple CapPlay are great. Realize every now and again how important it is to have music in the car, regardless of how nice the engine and exhaust sound or how involving the car is on the road. There are always times where you get just as much satisfaction from cranking up some tunes. First time I got Apple CarPlay to work and it was quite awesome. It is so nice to have iPhone connected... music, maps, reply to texts without taking your eyes or hands off the road. For these reasons, plus backup camera, I don't think that I could ever check the 'radio delete' box.

Enjoyed a spirited drive on the Merritt Parkway today. What a great road for speed. This car is effortless to drive, and feels better with every passing mile. Still keeping it under 4,500 RPMs, but can already feel the car loosening up a bit after only 1,000 miles on the clock.
Attached Images         

Last edited by bluehorseshoe; 06-30-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 624 Likes on 382 Posts

Third time's a charm. After searching around and calling four different local dealers' service departments, all of which were totally aloof, I finally found a Porsche 991 template to install rear badging. No dealer even said that such a template existed. I even tried a few authorized Porsche body shops. No luck. WTF?

Finally got introduced to Dirk at Darien Detail in Darien, CT. They do high-end custom detailing and PPF. He installed my rear PORSCHE badge with precision and care. Perfect factory positioning. Nice to lose yet another 'GT3' from the car (tossed the GT3 center caps upon delivery), much cleaner look. (BTW, let me know if any of you have an inexpensive manufacturing contact. I'd like to buy one template and have it replicated to sell. Every reputable detailer and body shop should have these but for some odd reason they are impossible to find and very expensive >$1,000.)

I prefer most cars bare as possible with little to no badging. My black GTS, for example, looked perfect with nothing out back. But this GT3, well it felt a bit awkward totally bare.

The impossible-to-find template consists of a main unit that fits on the rear of the 991. Then you must buy individual model designation templates designed to fit inside the main piece.

One other observation after spending a few hours in the car today... Bose and Apple CapPlay are great. Realize every now and again how important it is to have music in the car, regardless of how nice the engine and exhaust sound or how involving the car is on the road. There are always times where you get just as much satisfaction from cranking up some tunes. First time I got Apple CarPlay to work and it was quite awesome. It is so nice to have iPhone connected... music, maps, reply to texts without taking your eyes or hands off the road. For these reasons, plus backup camera, I don't think that I could ever check the 'radio delete' box.

Enjoyed a spirited drive on the Merritt Parkway today. What a great road for speed. This car is effortless to drive, and feels better with every passing mile. Still keeping it under 4,500 RPMs, but can already feel the car loosening up a bit after only 1,000 miles on the clock.
Nice job tracking a template down! My PPF installer had access to a dealership's template as well, and even a 991 GT3 one. But in the end we couldn't use it because it didn't line up with the OEM 991.2 GT3 badge placement (see pic below, both emblems are shifted up). So he just did the usual manual construction of a template on the car using tape and plastic...

Old 07-01-2018, 02:16 AM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

I think that one was for 991.1. Also, there is one template that just says PORSCHE with no model designation. Only difference being proper vertical placement.

Quick Reply: Bluehorseshoe's Slate Grey GT3 Journal