991.1 GT3 RS values at a nose dive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I could careless which is better. I like all the "GT" cars whether older or new.

They are just too much fun and actually need to be driven to be enjoyed.
DRIVING yes.

Originally Posted by CRex
There should be a ban on values and ADMs. Adds absolutely nothing to the substance of RL for which it's known.
lost cause.

notice that the old RL dont much talk about value.
newbies seems to think cars are assets.

we dont really care if RS drops 50k, i sold about 10 997.1RS include green ones at 120k, none of them more than 10k miles.
u drive, you pay
and sure, when 991rs drops to 150k you can buy it but the rest of us will be driving 991.2RS while you wait for that to drop to 150
you only have so many years to wait...

i use to think i am immortal..
guess what, when i see friends dying left and right..... you start to think again.
when you have 4 surgeries in 2 weeks, you start to think again...
i'll have fun while you wait.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:33 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

guess what, when i see friends dying left and right..... you start to think again.
Yep, as body starts wearing out and friends family start going, feeling of immortality goes quickly. Then it's a race to experience as much as u can before you can't.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:04 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
notice that the old RL dont much talk about value.
newbies seems to think cars are assets.

we dont really care if RS drops 50k, i sold about 10 997.1RS include green ones at 120k, none of them more than 10k miles.
u drive, you pay
and sure, when 991rs drops to 150k you can buy it but the rest of us will be driving 991.2RS while you wait for that to drop to 150
you only have so many years to wait...

Right on. Those who look at these things as "assets" will realize (i) the perceived "capital appreciation" applies only to a very small segment of early movers, and (ii) much of that potential "gain" is offset in maintenance cost and lost enjoyment if one plays the "fetch the highest value" game. There are less torturous ways to make a buck.

There will come a time when we all won't have the reflexes or strength to drive these cars at the limit. I wish to have no regrets then!!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 AM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love these threads. I also love the values going down. Reality check for those who buy these cars, drive them 1,000 miles in a year and protect them like they are earth’s rarest mineral and then sell it for their next toy.

These cars are meant to be driven, driven hard. Those C&C people should lose so much money that they leave this brand for something else so that people who will truly appreciate these cars can get more of these cars on their hands.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:19 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by AA68
Trying to decide if you're bitter or jealous. Either way, lighten up...wow.

Just out curiosity what do you drive--may explain a lot.
I’m a realist. The only solution to ADMs is house cleaning. These people who don’t actually drive these cars at all (forget properly driving them, they just dont drive them, period) feed the bubble so people like me who would actually drive them everyday and appreciate them can’t get them. I hope these people will lose so much money that they get upset and leave. Others like me who dont consider these cars as investments wont take offense from what I m saying because we dont care how much the value drops. We dont buy these cars for them retaining their value.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Why don't u just pay up and buy one then? It's EASY to get an RS. Just pay up for it; you don't care if you lose money on it. Not caring if you lose money, wanting the car to drive it but not willing to pay adm; doesn't make sense to me? I'm not being a jerk. I just don't get it.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:25 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Why don't u just pay up and buy one then? It's EASY to get an RS. Just pay up for it; you don't care if you lose money on it ?
Paying a dime more than what the guys who put the car together say the car should cost (hint msrp), is idiocity and not only that it is just wrong in principal. Even if I had a constant 7 figure income stream, I wouldnt do it. I wouldnt even pay $500 extra to the sales guy so he takes care of me. Why should I? He already makes a killing on msrp as is. Its all greed coupled with people who dont have some very core principals. This is not the same thing as buying a house in open market that has bidding wars. A car is a car, its sum of all of its parts. A car that just comes out of a production line is worth what the marketing department of the brand says its worth.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:30 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Ok, so it feels better to stick to your principals of not paying a dime over msrp than it does to drive. Idk, if money losing truly isn't the motivation and it's your principals, I think smiling from driving would trump knowing u didn't over pay a sales guy. But that's just me. I've paid msrp and I've paid way over. I like to drive though. It is what it is. I'd rather spend my energy making more money and driving more than hating/boycotting the system. Again, it is what it is. And hoping for depreciation; again, just pay an adm and you will get to drive and you will get to experience about the same depreciation as any other car you'd buy
Old 05-31-2018, 10:07 AM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
A car that just comes out of a production line is worth what the marketing department of the brand says its worth.
Until said car hits the free market and then who knows. Cars are worth what the consumer is willing to pay. Sometimes its more, sometimes less.

For my daily drivers, I pay less than msrp. For the weekend toys, sometimes less sometimes msrp. I've paid markups before on other things because I was lazy and/or late to the game.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:49 AM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by bigskyGT3
Until said car hits the free market and then who knows. Cars are worth what the consumer is willing to pay. Sometimes its more, sometimes less.

For my daily drivers, I pay less than msrp. For the weekend toys, sometimes less sometimes msrp. I've paid markups before on other things because I was lazy and/or late to the game.
I will argue that what you are saying is not only unethical but not legal.

iphone X comes out. Suddenly Apple builds a sophisticated algorithm that starts a priority queue rather than a first in first out queue where people paying over list price are given priority. Lots of these ADM paying crowd here will not blink and pay an extea $1000 to a $1000 phone, because what is an extra $1000 to them in the grand scheme of things since iphone X will just make their lives much easier and life is too short. This is just wrong guys, have some sense of core values. We all cannot be so ignorant. Sure can i afford $25,000 today to buy a gt3? Of course I can. Will it hurt me financially? No? But its wrong and its even worse that we have become so weak mentally that we have to have what we want at the cost of whatever. That’s not how I’m raising my child but I’m sure I’m the minority here.

I live in a decent town where median household income is well over the state average. When I call people for anything from this town, be it plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, the prices are 3-4x of national averages and 2-3x of state averages. Yet my rich ignorant neighbors all pay for it, caving in to this mentality. They just cant bother dialing in 3 phone numbers instead of 1. I m all for quality service but there is a line between rip off and else. The ADM game is similar mentality. I have absolutely no mercy for those of you who paid $50k ADM for RS and now you cant sell your cars even for sticker. I have news for you, it will get even worse in a year
Old 05-31-2018, 12:01 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

I personally would not pay over MSRP for a new car. I’d love to get my hands on a nice 964 C2 but I’m not willing to pay for it at current market so I sit on the sideline. Not a big deal since I don’t have to have it. For some who have to have it they’re willing to pay. Personal choice.

I think if you’re determined to get a car at MSRP do your homework, make your phone calls, network etc. I think you can find one. You just have to be patient and find the right dealership. I don’t think you need to have a long history of purchasing several cars to have access at MSRP. At least I didn’t. And there is nothing special about me as a customer. You just have to be willing to walk away if it’s not the right price which it sounds like you are.

Last edited by bigskyGT3; 05-31-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 159 Posts

iphone X comes out. Suddenly Apple builds a sophisticated algorithm that starts a priority queue rather than a first in first out queue where people paying over list price are given priority. Lots of these ADM paying crowd here will not blink and pay an extea $1000 to a $1000 phone, because what is an extra $1000 to them in the grand scheme of things since iphone X will just make their lives much easier and life is too short. This is just wrong guys, have some sense of core values. We all cannot be so ignorant. Sure can i afford $25,000 today to buy a gt3? Of course I can. Will it hurt me financially? No? But its wrong and its even worse that we have become so weak mentally that we have to have what we want at the cost of whatever. That’s not how I’m raising my child but I’m sure I’m the minority here.

I live in a decent town where median household income is well over the state average. When I call people for anything from this town, be it plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, the prices are 3-4x of national averages and 2-3x of state averages. Yet my rich ignorant neighbors all pay for it, caving in to this mentality. They just cant bother dialing in 3 phone numbers instead of 1. I m all for quality service but there is a line between rip off and else. The ADM game is similar mentality. I have absolutely no mercy for those of you who paid $50k ADM for RS and now you cant sell your cars even for sticker. I have news for you, it will get even worse in a year
I personally think it's unethical to tell someone else how to spend their money.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:42 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Paying a dime more than what the guys who put the car together say the car should cost (hint msrp), is idiocity and not only that it is just wrong in principal.
This makes zero sense to me. Do you own shares in any public companies? If so, you more than likely acquired those shares after the IPO and that means you paid a price that was in many instances above what others paid for the same shares (i.e. more than what the guys who valued the company say the company should be worth). Sure you would rather get the shares at the lower IPO price, but for a number of reasons, including your assets, network, prior purchasing history, etc... you were not invited to buy those limited shares prior to the secondary market valuing them. That hasn't and shouldn't stop you from buying the shares, it just means you pay slightly more for them and you do that because they still represent value to you (i.e. dividend equals driving enjoyment and/or appreciation/asset safety).

Also, if the ADM on the $200K car is $25K, and if Porsche prices the car at $225K, does that suddenly make it OK to buy the car? Market value is market value and people get too hung up on the fact that someone else has a Porsche relationship that they don't. Maybe that person is a 918 VIP and has done very well with that program. Well, that person took the risk on a 918 when others wouldn't - remember that Porsche had to work very hard to get those cars sold off and at $900K on a new hybrid car it was a fairly big gamble. Or, maybe the guy who buys a GT3 at MSRP has bought a number of mega depreciation Cayennes and Panameras - putting one in the win column with a GTX doesn't come close to getting them whole but provides some measure of financial reward for having been a loyal customer.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

Count me in as an idiot and someone without core values then...I'm raising my child to work f'in hard, enjoy what you do (hopefully make a good living doing it), save, and buy something if you want it, can afford it, and are comfortable with the price....

It boggles my mind someone will criticize someone else for spending THEIR hard earned money how they want.....
Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

what law was broken? that's an absurd statement.

I'm also not sure how it's ethical to prescribe how someone should behave and spend their money rather than recognizing their human right to act in their own self interest (whatever that may be). or to deny them the freedom to pay over MSRP if it's their wish. the people paying ADM's don't do so with a gun to their head. who are you to take away their freedom?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 RS values at a nose dive?