Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 RS values at a nose dive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by DerStig
I will argue that what you are saying is not only unethical but not legal.

iphone X comes out. Suddenly Apple builds a sophisticated algorithm that starts a priority queue rather than a first in first out queue where people paying over list price are given priority. Lots of these ADM paying crowd here will not blink and pay an extea $1000 to a $1000 phone, because what is an extra $1000 to them in the grand scheme of things since iphone X will just make their lives much easier and life is too short. This is just wrong guys, have some sense of core values. We all cannot be so ignorant. Sure can i afford $25,000 today to buy a gt3? Of course I can. Will it hurt me financially? No? But its wrong and its even worse that we have become so weak mentally that we have to have what we want at the cost of whatever. That’s not how I’m raising my child but I’m sure I’m the minority here.

I live in a decent town where median household income is well over the state average. When I call people for anything from this town, be it plumbing, HVAC, landscaping, the prices are 3-4x of national averages and 2-3x of state averages. Yet my rich ignorant neighbors all pay for it, caving in to this mentality. They just cant bother dialing in 3 phone numbers instead of 1. I m all for quality service but there is a line between rip off and else. The ADM game is similar mentality. I have absolutely no mercy for those of you who paid $50k ADM for RS and now you cant sell your cars even for sticker. I have news for you, it will get even worse in a year
I still have trouble following your logic. You are ok, and even HOPE you eat depreciation on a car but u have "no mercy" for someone that paid an adm and sold for around sticker later. Hmmm? So, again, it's not econs, it's purely principal?: depreciation from sticker is ok; depreciation from adm is wrong and actually even makes you have contempt for those that do it? I could see if you choose to not pay adm but why do you care if someone else pays an adm? Oh, because if you lost 50k in depreciation from msrp vs 50k in depreciation from adm levels, you could show your kids a good example? 50k is 50k in my book as long as you aren't breaking any laws.

By the way, most of the guys that paid monster Adm in the beginning sold long ago for higher adm than today. It's called depreciation from market value.

I can show that I paid over msrp for every car in my remaining collection and well itm on most all of them. I guess I'm a moron though and showing my kids a bad example.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:16 PM
DerStig
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least we know who pays ADM and who doesnt. Keep up the work on feeding the frenzy. Better yet after paying the adm, pay some more extra as a thank you so they will take care of you more next time. And then come back here asking for investment advice on the porsche values and how much X GT variant will hold its value or better yet take pictures of small road debris stuck on the rocker panel of your car and say is this warranty claim or ask if the clunky sounds you hear from the driveterrain is normal. Its entertainment for me and I’m sure for others.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:26 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by AA68
Another 'RS is 'crashing' thread.

Newsflash (not)... .2 hitting.

Happens in every cycle and if you're honest with yourself it's not nose driving, it's getting to reality.

Still getting MSRP for a 2 year old car with miles is incredible.

Simple.
possibly an understatement!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

To each their own.
Try not to judge others just because they don’t see things as you do.
My hubby and I are a perfect example.

Hubby LOVES our RS. He loves to look at it. He loves it perfect. In the garage. He has some health issues that don’t allow him to enjoy driving all the time but even if he was perfectly healthy - he still has always loved seeing a car perfect and clean and enjoys looking at it like a piece of art.

I love driving them. I don’t care if they get dirty. I love going to the track (he used to as well but can’t anymore). I would rather drive a dirty car and spend time doing other things. Yes - I’ll wash it every so often but dirty doesn’t bother me, and miles don’t bother me.

We buy them KNOWING they’ll depreciate and knowing they’ll be driven (the GT4 WAY more than the RS so far).

I can also say that the older we get, and the more of health issues that we see with our friends - the more we realize life is short. ENJOY. There’s no promise of tomorrow or even the next minute or hour.

If you don’t believe in paying over MSRP - great - don’t. But don’t judge folks who want the car and have the resources to buy at whatever price meets their value equation. We are lucky - our dealer sells at MSRP but we’ve bought cars before at over MSRP that we couldn’t get (or thought we couldn’t get) from our dealer. Bottom line is that it’s supply and demand. Period.

Buyers pay what they feel is acceptable. Sellers charge what they can get and what the market will bear (and it’s amazing that our dealer still sells at MSRP but they are in it for very long haul relationships and I admire their strategy which serves them well in economic downtimes).

Live and let live....
Old 05-31-2018, 06:32 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
To each their own.

Hubby LOVES our RS. He loves to look at it. He loves it perfect. In the garage. He has some health issues that don’t allow him to enjoy driving all the time but even if he was perfectly healthy - he still has always loved seeing a car perfect and clean and enjoys looking at it like a piece of art.

I love driving them. I don’t care if they get dirty. I love going to the track (he used to as well but can’t anymore). I would rather drive a dirty car and spend time doing other things. Yes - I’ll wash it every so often but dirty doesn’t bother me, and miles don’t bother me.

We buy them KNOWING they’ll depreciate and knowing they’ll be driven (the GT4 WAY more than the RS so far).

I can also say that the older we get, and the more of health issues that we see with our friends - the more we realize life is short. ENJOY. There’s no promise of tomorrow or even the next minute or hour.

If you don’t believe in paying over MSRP - great - don’t. But don’t judge folks who want the car and have the resources to buy at whatever price meets their value equation. We are lucky - our dealer sells at MSRP but we’ve bought cars before at over MSRP that we couldn’t get (or thought we couldn’t get) from our dealer. Bottom line is that it’s supply and demand. Period.

Buyers pay what they feel is acceptable. Sellers charge what they can get and what the market will bear (and it’s amazing that our dealer still sells at MSRP but they are in it for very long haul relationships and I admire their strategy which serves them well in economic downtimes).

Live and let live....
Best comment of the day goes to Carol. Very well said
Old 05-31-2018, 06:52 PM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by needmoregarage
To each their own.

Live and let live....
This entire theory of respecting people paying ADMs would have worked if I didnt find myself in a situation where I cant a get a car too unless I m VIP or considered part of the “family” or i am a previous GT owner with a trade or I am willing to pay $25-30k to be “allowed in” to the family. I have emails from reputable porsche dealers with statements like these with words in quotes. Sure I can respect other people’s way of life as long as their way doesnt interfere with mine and doesnt prevent me from enjoying mine.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:56 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

This entire theory of respecting people paying ADMs would have worked if I didnt find myself in a situation where I cant a get a car too unless I m VIP or considered part of the “family” or i am a previous GT owner with a trade or I am willing to pay $25-30k to be “allowed in” to the family. I have emails from reputable porsche dealers with statements like these with words in quotes. Sure I can respect other people’s way of life as long as their way doesnt interfere with mine and doesnt prevent me from enjoying mine.
life is hard
then you die
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by AA68
Exactly what I thought. Angry because you cannot get an allocation.

Maybe it's the buyer that's the issue in this case and not the seller...just guessing. I'm sure (based upon your replies here) that you are probably not the nicest person to these dealers. You may want to try a new tact.

Good luck.
If by being nice is if you mean i m not giving them yankees tickets or taking them out for steak dinners, I m not. Car buying shouldnt be like trying to date a popular girl in high school. You walk in, you pay, and you are done. I have interacted with dealers all over the country and I have been nothing but nice to them. They in return have been very arrogant and cocky. I have tried this twice now, with the .1 and .2 cars. I put deposits down. I did everything by the book and I know I am not the only one.

I couldnt careless what you do with your money. I do care if what you do with your money prevents me from doing what I want to do with my money. Its because of people in your mentality that people like me cant get these cars. I have actually interacted with dealers who flat out told me even with an adm I wouldnt get a car because of the VIP/previous GT owner/part of the family reasons. Its the culture of this brand, not what I came to know 15 years ago.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
life is hard
then you die

don't forget the "paying taxes in between" part...
Old 05-31-2018, 07:49 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, you do sound angry and bitter. Have you ever bought a concert or sporting event ticket second hand for more than face value? If not, do you get angry at everyone that does? Have you ever paid more than the next person for a plane ticket? Or hotel room? If not, do you get angry with the people that "overpaid" and drove up the market price? Have you ever...the list goes on.

Either accept how the game is played or move on. Like other's have said, life is too short to be so angry. And if you're not angry, you sure are coming off that way.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:19 PM
DerStig
Racer

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Wow, you do sound angry and bitter. Have you ever bought a concert or sporting event ticket second hand for more than face value? If not, do you get angry at everyone that does? Have you ever paid more than the next person for a plane ticket? Or hotel room? If not, do you get angry with the people that "overpaid" and drove up the market price? Have you ever...the list goes on.

Either accept how the game is played or move on. Like other's have said, life is too short to be so angry. And if you're not angry, you sure are coming off that way.
Not angry at all. Its internet. If you saw my face you would see i m chuckling. Reading text leaves the wrong impression. Life is too short, you are right. Its all good
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 PM
Brosef
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

If by being nice is if you mean i m not giving them yankees tickets or taking them out for steak dinners, I m not. Car buying shouldnt be like trying to date a popular girl in high school. You walk in, you pay, and you are done. I have interacted with dealers all over the country and I have been nothing but nice to them. They in return have been very arrogant and cocky. I have tried this twice now, with the .1 and .2 cars. I put deposits down. I did everything by the book and I know I am not the only one.

I couldnt careless what you do with your money. I do care if what you do with your money prevents me from doing what I want to do with my money. Its because of people in your mentality that people like me cant get these cars. I have actually interacted with dealers who flat out told me even with an adm I wouldnt get a car because of the VIP/previous GT owner/part of the family reasons. Its the culture of this brand, not what I came to know 15 years ago.
this statement is fundamentally against the free enterprise system. how people spend their money on any commodity affects the prices of all goods. people buy more gas, price goes up. people become more bullish about a public company stock and buy shares, price goes up.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:04 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,558 Likes on 664 Posts

Supply and demand....
Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts

Envy blinds men and makes it impossible for them to think clearly. - Malcom X
Old 05-31-2018, 09:27 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

A good way to avoid market prices and supply and demand is to move to Venezuela, where, among other things, the government decides what the price of (almost) every product is. All in the name of social justice.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 RS values at a nose dive?