Sponsored by:

What ADM's for a GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 03:25 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by bigs
If this thread was started inadvertently by an OP who was unaware of a virtually identical thread... Let me recommend accessing the thread I closed. It contains much worthwhile information on the very same topic as this thread.

If it was started as a pissing contest with a mod, I'm sorry, but I don't do pissing contests. Like all Rennlist mods, I just volunteer my time in an attempt to maintain a reasonable (not strict - just reasonable) level of civility that can be enjoyed by all those who visit this website. I am a relatively new mod, and it's my goal to moderate in a moderate fashion.

I will point out that neither CW nor CJ was banned, nor did they receive any "vacation" or even an infraction. I happen to think it's possible to function as a moderator in a non-punitive manner. At least I hope that's possible.

Giving the benefit of the doubt and assuming good intent, this thread will remain open in the hopes we can all contribute without animosity. Carry on.

Thanks!
I think you closed down the other thread unnecessarily. Good information was being disseminated and it was civil. I don't believe its within your duties to close a thread because YOU FEEL the posted are repetitive. As long as there is interest by posters posting and it is civil there is no reason to intercede. That's how blogs operate. Hopefully, going forward you'll be more circumspect and allow a blog to remain a blog.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:34 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
I think you closed down the other thread unnecessarily. Good information was being disseminated and it was civil. I don't believe its within your duties to close a thread because YOU FEEL the posted are repetitive. As long as there is interest by posters posting and it is civil there is no reason to intercede.

Dr. Bigs, after consulting with other moderators, acted on his FEELINGS....and Ill bet a buck thats just the way he will continue. You will find in time...hopefully...debating the good Dr. is an exercise in utter futility. You heard it here first bubba.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:14 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,024 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
You should check out the Macan Gulf Orange Thread. The mods there could learn something from you. Mark and Bob are too trigger happy for banning users.
+1
Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Ervin Wu
You should check out the Macan Gulf Orange Thread. The mods there could learn something from you. Mark and Bob are too trigger happy for banning users.
Nah, I'm still very much in "watch and learn" mode. I will say this, being a mod provides a whole new level of experiences, insight, and appreciation - for the other mods and also for Rennlisters in general. There are simply some remarkably amazing people who frequent this website - along with a few very "interesting" folks.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:25 PM
bigs

Lifetime Rennlist

I think you closed down the other thread unnecessarily. Good information was being disseminated and it was civil. I don't believe its within your duties to close a thread because YOU FEEL the posted are repetitive. As long as there is interest by posters posting and it is civil there is no reason to intercede. That's how blogs operate. Hopefully, going forward you'll be more circumspect and allow a blog to remain a blog.
Thank you for your feedback, Nick. I agree wholeheartedly that good information was being disseminated - that's why I didn't abyss the thread. I guess where we will disagree is in our perception - or our definition - of civility. We mods received complaints from multiple Rennlisters who were weary of the disrespectful and rather ill-tempered exchange between two of the participants - which had little if anything to do with the actual topic of the thread. One complaint compared the exchanges to "junior high school" behavior - which made me smile in agreement.

I actually decided to close the thread after having posted a "final warning" because other posters pretty much continued the battle by proxy. And I perceived that the two primary "combatants" would both be at a disadvantage in such a situation, being nervous about some sort of formal penalty should either one rejoin the fray. Therefore my main reason in closing the thread was to protect the two main players from any potential formal punishment and give them both a chance to cool off via closing the thread rather than by an enforced "vacation" or infraction points. It seemed the most merciful option to me.

Bottom line: I'm convinced that it's possible to disagree without being disagreeable. And the exchange here between the two of us, I think, is evidence of that. You disagreed with my handling of the situation, but did so in an adult, mature, and respectful manner. I hope I have likewise replied in an adult, mature, and respectful manner. And I will give your comments thoughtful consideration in how I act as a moderator going forward.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:48 PM
bigs

Lifetime Rennlist

One additional comment: The thing that regular Rennlisters have no way of knowing is how many complaints and/or reported posts there are that the mods don't respond to and delete or lock. There are plenty of reported posts that I and other mods carefully consider, and then decide, "Meh... This doesn't seem to rise to the level of needing correction or definitive action. Let's just allow the discussion to continue." That happens more than you might guess.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:00 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 796 Likes on 368 Posts

^^ Agree.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:17 PM
nedgu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was offered a gt3rs for $50k over from a norcal dealer a few weeks ago.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Thank you for your feedback, Nick. I agree wholeheartedly that good information was being disseminated - that's why I didn't abyss the thread. I guess where we will disagree is in our perception - or our definition - of civility. We mods received complaints from multiple Rennlisters who were weary of the disrespectful and rather ill-tempered exchange between two of the participants - which had little if anything to do with the actual topic of the thread. One complaint compared the exchanges to "junior high school" behavior - which made me smile in agreement.

I actually decided to close the thread after having posted a "final warning" because other posters pretty much continued the battle by proxy. And I perceived that the two primary "combatants" would both be at a disadvantage in such a situation, being nervous about some sort of formal penalty should either one rejoin the fray. Therefore my main reason in closing the thread was to protect the two main players from any potential formal punishment and give them both a chance to cool off via closing the thread rather than by an enforced "vacation" or infraction points. It seemed the most merciful option to me.

Bottom line: I'm convinced that it's possible to disagree without being disagreeable. And the exchange here between the two of us, I think, is evidence of that. You disagreed with my handling of the situation, but did so in an adult, mature, and respectful manner. I hope I have likewise replied in an adult, mature, and respectful manner. And I will give your comments thoughtful consideration in how I act as a moderator going forward. :thumb up:
Thank you for your honest response. I know the moderator job is difficult and often requires making difficult decisions. I don't mean to tell you how to do your job but here is my suggestion.

Personally, I would error on whether the thread is providing information even though some posters become "unruly". In those situations, I would contact the offenders by PM and let them know their behavior is unacceptable and could lead to punishment actions. I would not close down the thread unless many posters were getting out of hand. Blogs are about information and often it is delivered in ugly ways. Nevertheless, it is information which could be valuable to those reading the thread. Certainly if it involves only two offenders the thread should never be shut down. Take action against the offenders and not against all that participated.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:55 PM
bigs

Lifetime Rennlist

Thank you for your honest response. I know the moderator job is difficult and often requires making difficult decisions. I don't mean to tell you how to do your job but here is my suggestion.

Personally, I would error on whether the thread is providing information even though some posters become "unruly". In those situations, I would contact the offenders by PM and let them know their behavior is unacceptable and could lead to punishment actions. I would not close down the thread unless many posters were getting out of hand. Blogs are about information and often it is delivered in ugly ways. Nevertheless, it is information which could be valuable to those reading the thread. Certainly if it involves only two offenders the thread should never be shut down. Take action against the offenders and not against all that participated.
Good thoughts. However, in this case, the large bulk of the actual information was being disseminated - and the thread was pretty much being kept alive - by the two "offenders." If I had taken action against them, the thread would likely have died anyway - and two members would have been saddled with penalties. And there had indeed been PM communication with one of the "C's." But your points are well taken.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:22 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Good thoughts. However, in this case, the large bulk of the actual information was being disseminated - and the thread was pretty much being kept alive - by the two "offenders." If I had taken action against them, the thread would likely have died anyway - and two members would have been saddled with penalties. And there had indeed been PM communication with one of the "C's." But your points are well taken.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:02 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^who controls the moderators? That's what I like to know- certainly not IB. Sorry for saying this but some(actually only one) have god complexes.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:53 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

By the way back to topic know lotta loyal Porsche customers to a dealership who got stiffed. Imo it ain't right. Mike
Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^who controls the moderators? That's what I like to know- certainly not IB. Sorry for saying this but some(actually only one) have god complexes.
BTO is the moderator controller.
Old 04-28-2018, 09:10 AM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anyone agreed to an actual adm here? I paid adm on the .1 gt3rs of $10k. The .2 is coming at msrp. Just curious.... just in case i have to move and cant take delivery or something else happens etc etc lol

Quick Reply: What ADM's for a GT3RS?