Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ADM's for a GT3RS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

I don't understand the rationale behind some of the theories that ADMs will come down on these cars, except to explain it away as wishful thinking.

Think about this, the .1 3RS is still selling near or above sticker, some higher mile ones brushed msrp but prices have slightly bounced back as it has become clear that the first round of .2 3RS allocations was not plentiful, and there's not even that many MSRP GT3s out there, so folks are going back into the .1 RS market. This is despite the fact that the .1 is two years old, and that all the bad news has been baked into the price, including the large production volume, the fact that a newer model is out, the fact that the .2 GT3 is basically as fast, and even the specter of FI GT cars has for the most part faded ... all that and we're still at worst case around msrp.

In light of all this, even if one believes that they'll make quite a few (few or none believe that'll make as many as the .1) how can one come to the conclusion that ADMs will somehow retreat? Heck even if they make as many as the .1 it still wouldn't mean they would retreat as it is a newer more desirable model.

I obviously do not root for ADMs to stay high as I am one of the plebes with no pull that has to choose to either pay them or not if I want to get a car, so my greatest desire is for these cars to be available to anyone who can afford their msrp and even below that ... I just don't get where the optimism comes from about the .2 when the .1 facts are there for all to see. Let's put it this way, (assuming general economic economic conditions being constant) the day the .1 is selling at $30k under msrp is the day the .2 is selling at sticker, give or take a penny. But there are no facts to underpin the argument that any of that is happening, and if they make less of them than of the .1 as is likely to be the case, it might actually get worse.

Last edited by soulsea; 05-05-2018 at 12:28 AM. Reason: spelling catastrophes
Old 05-05-2018, 09:16 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Just a little speculation: confirmed now 991.1 RS was 5000 WW production - NA no confirmation, but it was near the GT3 .1 numbers- say approx 1800 units. Now we have over a year to make these 2019 .2 RS for the North American market. I think we are looking at .2 RS in NA matching the .2 GT3 again, so over 2000 delivered. It will be constrained at first to drive up demand just like the .1, so prices will stabilize at some ADM value for open market cars. Same game as before- there will plenty .2, but restraints of delivery early will keep prices high though the complete model year.
Porsche will constraint deliveries AND dealers will hoard cars, this is what happened with .1 and will happen again.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:01 AM
RyanDDWPartners
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya

Just a little speculation: confirmed now 991.1 RS was 5000 WW production - NA no confirmation, but it was near the GT3 .1 numbers- say approx 1800 units. Now we have over a year to make these 2019 .2 RS for the North American market. I think we are looking at .2 RS in NA matching the .2 GT3 again, so over 2000 delivered. It will be constrained at first to drive up demand just like the .1, so prices will stabilize at some ADM value for open market cars. Same game as before- there will plenty .2, but restraints of delivery early will keep prices high though the complete model year.
Incorrect. 1421 2016 RS’s are here in the US. There are just under 2100 .1 991 GT3’s here in the US.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanDDWPartners

Incorrect. 1421 2016 RS’s are here in the US. There are just under 2100 .1 991 GT3’s here in the US.
Source?

My numbers are for USA and Canada, FYI. Take your numbers- New .2 GT3 is approaching 2500 units in NA, so that same ratio for US RS 2019 MY of around 1700 units, is still probably 2000 for all of Canada and USA.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
I don't understand the rationale behind some of the theories that ADMs will come down on these cars, except to explain it away as wishful thinking.

Think about this, the .1 3RS is still selling near or above sticker, some higher mile ones brushed msrp but prices have slightly bounced back as it has become clear that the first round of .2 3RS allocations was not plentiful, and there's not even that many MSRP GT3s out there, so folks are going back into the .1 RS market. This is despite the fact that the .1 is two years old, and that all the bad news has been baked into the price, including the large production volume, the fact that a newer model is out, the fact that the .2 GT3 is basically as fast, and even the specter of FI GT cars has for the most part faded ... all that and we're still at worst case around msrp.

In light of all this, even if one believes that they'll make quite a few (few or none believe that'll make as many as the .1) how can one come to the conclusion that ADMs will somehow retreat? Heck even if they make as many as the .1 it still wouldn't mean they would retreat as it is a newer more desirable model.

I obviously do not root for ADMs to stay high as I am one of the plebes with no pull that has to choose to either pay them or not if I want to get a car, so my greatest desire is for these cars to be available to anyone who can afford their msrp and even below that ... I just don't get where the optimism comes from about the .2 when the .1 facts are there for all to see. Let's put it this way, (assuming general economic economic conditions being constant) the day the .1 is selling at $30k under msrp is the day the .2 is selling at sticker, give or take a penny. But there are no facts to underpin the argument that any of that is happening, and if they make less of them than of the .1 as is likely to be the case, it might actually get worse.
History repeats.
997.1RS 2007/2008 $50K+ 2010/11/12 60-70% of msrp 2018 30-40% over roughly.
997.2RS 2010 MSRP 11/12 80-90% msrp. 2017/18 20% over msrp.

991RS 2015 $75K+ 2018MSRP 2019/20 70-90% msrp?
991.2RS 2018 $50K+ 2021/22 80-90% msrp or with a pull back economy 60-70% msrp.

if youre sure no pull back, you cant go wrong, either way better then most cars.
But If pull back.. this time there will be a lot more used RS for sale..

Old 05-05-2018, 11:25 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Call it whatever fun term like, but history has shown ADMs drop when subsequent rounds come out and the "first on the block at any cost" guys already have their cars.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:37 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Call it whatever fun term like, but history has shown ADMs drop when subsequent rounds come out and the "first on the block at any cost" guys already have their cars.
Well, in due course, unless we're taking about a limited production car which the GT3RS isn't, everything will depreciate price wise, it's just a matter of pace.

So if you're not one of the lucky ones who got an msrp allocation and don't mind waiting 3/4 years to buy a used .2 3RS with 5k miles on it at msrp you're golden.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:31 PM
moyopoyo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR

History repeats.
997.1RS 2007/2008 $50K+ 2010/11/12 60-70% of msrp 2018 30-40% over roughly.
997.2RS 2010 MSRP 11/12 80-90% msrp. 2017/18 20% over msrp.

991RS 2015 $75K+ 2018MSRP 2019/20 70-90% msrp?
991.2RS 2018 $50K+ 2021/22 80-90% msrp or with a pull back economy 60-70% msrp.

if youre sure no pull back, you cant go wrong, either way better then most cars.
But If pull back.. this time there will be a lot more used RS for sale..
I’m sure as the cars start to come off the trucks, things will change. There will be a premium around then too where we all have a chance to make money from the guys who didn’t bother getting an allocation during orders. They just want one when it’s actually live and they will pay what it takes to get someone else’s from them.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:39 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 771 Likes on 393 Posts

I heard a dealer had 4 positions they were putting up as a silent auction to their local customers this week (wouldn't sell to someone out of their area). I know a guy who got one of the 4 positions for $25k ADM. Seemed like a fair deal to me since I paid $20k ADM 2 weeks ago for a new GT3 that the dealer had just received in inventory but the buyer backed out.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheflat6
Ok, twist my arm Mooty! I will walk-in this afternoon and place my order.
u will have more fun driving it while others are trying to find lower ADM.

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
People should jump on the current RS ADM because someone paid an even worse ADM on an earlier iteration?

​​​​​​
no, but at <$50adm, it becomes palatable. i am with soul, that ADM must be viewed with TIME. at some point the ADM will come down, then it will go up then down. i told many friends to buy 991.2GT3 at 10k over (certainly if you can find msrp car, that's best, but the assumption is they tried and cannot find it. these were open allocation they spec'd. TODAY, you may or may not be able to find an open GT3 allocation and even if u do find one it's more than 10k now. so

1. it's a gamble. pumpkin prices weent up and down. and i had 4 green 997.1RS. all sold cheaply. now their prices are in $300, i gambled poorly
2. there are many ppl who buy one car and keep 10 years. so 20k 30k over really isn't bad (again assuming msrp car is not available to them)
3. some ppl keep cars for 10 months. for them buying msrp cars late the the production life is like buying a banana with brown spots all over. it's not "new" anymore.
4. and some ppl have very high billing rates. let's say they make $2k/day after tax and all, a 20k hit is 2 weeks of work. one must decide how to use that time. play with kids? goto track? surf RL? personally i would pay a lot of money to buy time. i am literally on 24/7 for the last 15 years non stop. i just dont have time (yes i am posting now while on my bike climbing 7% grade and talking to my business partner riding next to me. and i will have to get kids after the ride b efore i clean myself up and haven't had time to shave or brush my hair whole month. those RLsters who know me know i am not kidding about this)

so really there is no FAIR ADM. it's what you are willing to pay.
now dont get me wrong. MSRP is the best
and we should all shoot for that.
but the question asked was what is FAIR msrp.
it can only be answered by YOU.
i just bought a thing and paid 100% over it's msrp. but short of that, i cant find anything cheaper.
is that fair? hell no.
but i really wanted it.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:52 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Well said Mooty. I literally took your advice and placed my order yesterday for GR 3RS and delivers mid November. I am super excited and life is short to worry so much. I am at the track today with my .2GT3 and I am lucky to get to have these experiences. The less pennies I count and more experiences is my goal in life. Time is really the most valuable commodity not cars and stuff.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,688 Likes on 2,337 Posts

^ i have a sticker on my car "it's the memories that matters, the cars, less so."
Old 05-06-2018, 01:44 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,740 Likes on 5,127 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
^ i have a sticker on my car "it's the memories that matters, the money, less so."
FIFY
Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

u will have more fun driving it while others are trying to find lower ADM.

no, but at <$50adm, it becomes palatable. i am with soul, that ADM must be viewed with TIME. at some point the ADM will come down, then it will go up then down. i told many friends to buy 991.2GT3 at 10k over (certainly if you can find msrp car, that's best, but the assumption is they tried and cannot find it. these were open allocation they spec'd. TODAY, you may or may not be able to find an open GT3 allocation and even if u do find one it's more than 10k now. so

1. it's a gamble. pumpkin prices weent up and down. and i had 4 green 997.1RS. all sold cheaply. now their prices are in $300, i gambled poorly
2. there are many ppl who buy one car and keep 10 years. so 20k 30k over really isn't bad (again assuming msrp car is not available to them)
3. some ppl keep cars for 10 months. for them buying msrp cars late the the production life is like buying a banana with brown spots all over. it's not "new" anymore.
4. and some ppl have very high billing rates. let's say they make $2k/day after tax and all, a 20k hit is 2 weeks of work. one must decide how to use that time. play with kids? goto track? surf RL? personally i would pay a lot of money to buy time. i am literally on 24/7 for the last 15 years non stop. i just dont have time (yes i am posting now while on my bike climbing 7% grade and talking to my business partner riding next to me. and i will have to get kids after the ride b efore i clean myself up and haven't had time to shave or brush my hair whole month. those RLsters who know me know i am not kidding about this)

so really there is no FAIR ADM. it's what you are willing to pay.
now dont get me wrong. MSRP is the best
and we should all shoot for that.
but the question asked was what is FAIR msrp.
it can only be answered by YOU.
i just bought a thing and paid 100% over it's msrp. but short of that, i cant find anything cheaper.
is that fair? hell no.
but i really wanted it.
I will pay ADM, but I'd just like to get a bit closer to sticker. I've been close on a couple already, so I think it will happen on the next round. But yes, it's a gamble, so we'll see. I have other cars, and have my PTS GT3 MT on the way, so it's a bit easier for me to avoid throwing all caution to the wind. But for those who pay whatever ADM is asked, more power to them. I have no problem with sellers who demand huge premiums or those who pay them. I don't get emotional about ADMs -- the numbers either work for me or they don't. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:35 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

^ i have a sticker on my car "it's the memories that matters, the cars, less so."
Mooty I like it, might copy and make a sticker for my car with my own saying but will be similar.

Quick Reply: What ADM's for a GT3RS?