Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 GT3 RS Mark Up - what's fair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 04:56 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 591 Posts

There are good dealers and good people out there. I got my allocation for MSRP .
on the other hand there are bad dealers and bad customers out there.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe that a business owner can charge whatever they want for their product. I also believe that customers can decide whether or not they want to pay that price and buy the product. Capitalism. Supply and demand on these GT cars creates the ability for dealers to charge over.

PCNA may very well discourage charging over sticker, but I’ve never seen anything where they are not allowed. In fact, I would bet that deep down inside, PCNA actually enjoys it because it creates value in the product.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:33 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Keep in mind that the dealer is the customer of PCNA and not the ultimate buyer. The dealer can do whatever he likes with the allocation, Thus the need for a very special relationship with him.
I’ve read this before and it’s incorrect, dealers are franchisees and not customers. Franchisor sets rules and guidelines.
The “dealers are just customers and manufacturer has no control” is the excuse manufacturers use when a problem caused by bad business practices arise.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:36 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Just got a text from my GT3 dealer this morning. Offered me an RS allocation for $50K. I realllly want one. But a bit too rich for my blood since I'd spec it out to about $225K MSRP. ADM + tax would bring it to over $300,000. I'm super thrilled about having my GT3 for now. Maybe when they announce a 992 GT3 RS in a few years I'll trade it in for a low-mile 991.2 RS.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

I for one can’t wait for a good recession again where not everything is overvalued.
Glad I have nice cars and nice stuff. I don’t need more, but probably will buy more when value returns.

Ive only ever made real money by buying when values are good.
Im hoping for one more in my working years, history tells me I get a couple.

zero over MSRP is the only correct value.
If my RS wasn’t a car I hope to keep forever, I’d sell now.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,810 Likes on 533 Posts

What a lovely thing to wish for, millions of people losing their jobs, homes, savings, healthcare, etc, just so you can get better value by getting your expensive cars at msrp.

#trakcarma
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 765 Posts

Good for some things bad for others.
Helps with the cars, it be nice if first time home buyers could get a decent house and have young people being able to invest their money again.
Crazy inflation doesn’t help with the groceries or health insurance either does it?

Cant have it all I guess.
Trakcarma is solid. I’m going to keep that one.

Old 04-22-2018, 07:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
What a lovely thing to wish for, millions of people losing their jobs, homes, savings, healthcare, etc, just so you can get better value by getting your expensive cars at msrp.

#trakcarma
Although debt is needed for people to work, one should never have any debt at anytime which will make you immune to fluctuations in the market.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Makes sense. I think they should do this a little more like Ferrari. Funny story but true. I will give an abridged version. A good friend of mine goes to Geneva auto show. He goes to the F booth to check out the Pista. Guy tells him they are all sold, none left at all. After about 30 minutes of some conversation they find out he is a 918 owner etc etc etc. Low and behold in the 30 minute conversation (whatever it is they found out about him they liked or validated) a Pista became available. They asked him what dealer he lived close to and viola an allocation was assigned to him.

I would love for Porsche to do that type of stuff to weed out these flippers and get people speccing cars that actually want them and will drive them.
Although many like ADM because they can buy a car with no history, Ferrari takes many factors into account and rewards properly. I prefer their model. However, you can buy a Pista with only an 812 on order and no prior history.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:03 PM
forhamilton
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Really sad for you guys to wish for a recession so that you can get a good deal. That is some serious backwards logic.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:07 PM
Andial
Banned

I might mess this up but relationships be damned this is how it works. You pick the dealer and somewhere on this spectrum they start/stop selling at MSRP. All are at MSRP with 1 but after that it is a crap shoot.

1. Super 918 VIP
1 (a) 918 VIP
2. Non 918 VIPs, that are VIPs. Those that are connected with Porsche in some way. I could name a few but these are the ones that don't own a 918 but are treated as if they did.
3. Whales- those that buy at least 10+ cars from dealer. 10 could be the wrong number, could be higher.
4. Friends, relatives, etc
5. Business relationships such as the GM's stock broker, lender etc etc
5. Dudes with industry connections. These would be your you-tubers, maybe a Michelin rep etc
6. Customer that has bought less than 10 cars but still uses them for service.
7. Final bucket is for the GM and SM to talk about a potential gift, new customer etc (that guy with the relationship that is not one of the above)
991. The guy that is out of the area (state) that can't bring them in any service business or no GT business.

Now the only customer that I didn't include because it could go anywhere from 2 to 990. That guy that walks in with money falling out of his pocket and if the "market rate" is say $25K over he will offer $50K just because he needs to be the first at C&C to impress his 20 yr younger wife/girlfriend(s)

Let's face it Porsche does not release enough of these cars to hit all the above so that guy that just wants a GT car at MSRP to spec and drive and not flip for profit or bubble wrap for later will have to pay whatever the going rate is. You can have all the relationships you want but it is a business and if the dealer doesn't think you are future $'s, forget about it. If that price is over MSRP and you are against that then, well you watch from the sidelines or buy someone other spec when the latest and greatest new toy comes out and the commotion settles.

OP if you got an allocation for $50K and you are ok with that - GO FOR IT!!!!! Or else you will continue to watch prices fall over the next months just like the .1 did but the problem at that lower ADM you may not be given that allocation.
PMNA customers get GT2RS at MSRP. Another category is outside of US, everyone gets cars at MSRP. I don't know of any wives/girlfriends who would be impressed with a 991.2 GT3RS.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts

Makes sense. I think they should do this a little more like Ferrari. Funny story but true. I will give an abridged version. A good friend of mine goes to Geneva auto show. He goes to the F booth to check out the Pista. Guy tells him they are all sold, none left at all. After about 30 minutes of some conversation they find out he is a 918 owner etc etc etc. Low and behold in the 30 minute conversation (whatever it is they found out about him they liked or validated) a Pista became available. They asked him what dealer he lived close to and viola an allocation was assigned to him.

I would love for Porsche to do that type of stuff to weed out these flippers and get people speccing cars that actually want them and will drive them.
Having bought Ferrari's over many years and know how they operate. I find this story difficult to accept. There had to be other circumstance or facts to warrant a Ferrari representative to sudden find a Pista allocation after the car is sold out especially to a none Ferrari owner.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:55 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,234 Likes on 608 Posts

Ervin if you have a ferrari dealer letting people order 812's at MSRP please pm me
Old 04-22-2018, 08:57 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 744 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Having bought Ferrari's over many years and know how they operate. I find this story difficult to accept. There had to be other circumstance or facts to warrant a Ferrari representative to sudden find a Pista allocation after the car is sold out especially to a none Ferrari owner.
No worries. That is your prerogative.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:02 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM

I’ve read this before and it’s incorrect, dealers are franchisees and not customers. Franchisor sets rules and guidelines.
The “dealers are just customers and manufacturer has no control” is the excuse manufacturers use when a problem caused by bad business practices arise.

Technically you're correct. But whether you want to call them franchisees or customer they operate the same. Becoming a franchisee you essentially are a customer of the franchisor. The rules and guidelines run both ways.

Quick Reply: 2019 GT3 RS Mark Up - what's fair?