Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are GT3s with ADM moving off dealer lots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
I gave up on the GT3 BS so I bought a 991.2 Targa 4GTS instead. Atleast I was able to spec out the car the way I like it and get to break it in by my self.
Congrats! Just curious, what is depreciation like on the Targa 4GTS? Enjoy the break-in and nice job on the 3% discount!
Old 08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Congrats! Just curious, what is depreciation like on the Targa 4GTS? Enjoy the break-in and nice job on the 3% discount!
I don't know, Targas are unique but I don't buy a toy and worry about depreciation too much and don't know why people always worry about it.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM
jnmit12
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a very brief search, I'm seeing dealers come off the ask pretty quick on used .2GT3 inventory. Looks like being too busy to pursue in the Spring worked out well for me.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:41 AM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,271 Likes on 946 Posts

I don't know, Targas are unique but I don't buy a toy and worry about depreciation too much and don't know why people always worry about it.
congrats. That’s the right attitude. Toys are meant to be played with.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:03 AM
jackmac
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I gave up on the GT3 BS so I bought a 991.2 Targa 4GTS instead. Atleast I was able to spec out the car the way I like it and get to break it in by my self.

Tom,
Are you sure you won't reconsider ? Maybe this will change your decision or anyone who is on the fence.

Fast forward to 3:52 and turn up the volume.

j/k. Best of luck either way.
Jack
Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 AM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Viper I guess your wife likes the targa better then a wing version.
tell you the truth they are a good looking car....there is a sapphire blue in
a drive way that I drive by almost everyday and i admire looking at the car.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:09 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Originally Posted by jackmac
Tom,
Are you sure you won't reconsider ? Maybe this will change your decision or anyone who is on the fence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAIb2iDpOt8&t=2s

Fast forward to 3:52 and turn up the volume.

j/k. Best of luck either way.
Jack
To late, she arrived 2 days ago and I will pick her up this Sunday. Cruising from PCH to Santa Barbara in a Targa sounds really fun and 400+HP is good enough for a 50 yrs old guy.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 279 Posts

To late, she arrived 2 days ago and I will pick her up this Sunday. Cruising from PCH to Santa Barbara in a Targa sounds really fun and 400+HP is good enough for a 50 yrs old guy.
What's funny is when I am driving my GT3 up PCH I am thinking to myself wow, a Targa or cab would be killer...

Enjoy in good health my friend and to be honest with you, my GT3 might be my first and last new GT car purchased because I'm close to done with giving any dealer a nickel of my hard earned money based on the politics/games they are playing with most people who aren't whales or have extensive purchase history in my markets. You made an awesome choice, spec also looks really good
Old 08-30-2018, 12:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,505 Likes on 2,563 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
What's funny is when I am driving my GT3 up PCH I am thinking to myself wow, a Targa or cab would be killer...

Enjoy in good health my friend and to be honest with you, my GT3 might be my first and last new GT car purchased because I'm close to done with giving any dealer a nickel of my hard earned money based on the politics/games they are playing with most people who aren't whales or have extensive purchase history in my markets. You made an awesome choice, spec also looks really good
Root cause is that the supply from Porsche doesn't meet the current demand. But some of the demand is artificial, due to flippers and people who rely on low depreciation to buy the car, so it's kind of a vicious cycle. With a bit more supply, you'd have more normal depreciation, buyers who plan to own the cars longer term and put meaningful miles on them, no ADM (maybe even some discount relative to MSRP, as with other Porsches), and ability to place an order from your local dealer without having to play games. Higher interest rates and some cooling of the economy and stock markets will also curb some of the artificial demand. Those of us who already own GT cars benefit from all of this (I have two), but I'd prefer a more normal market, since I have an interest in maybe getting an RS and I don't like the games either.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
Root cause is that the supply from Porsche doesn't meet the current demand. But some of the demand is artificial, due to flippers and people who rely on low depreciation to buy the car, so it's kind of a vicious cycle. With a bit more supply, you'd have more normal depreciation, buyers who plan to own the cars longer term and put meaningful miles on them, no ADM (maybe even some discount relative to MSRP, as with other Porsches), and ability to place an order from your local dealer without having to play games. Higher interest rates and some cooling of the economy and stock markets will also curb some of the artificial demand. Those of us who already own GT cars benefit from all of this (I have two), but I'd prefer a more normal market, since I have an interest in maybe getting an RS and I don't like the games either.
I think the fact that they limit supply or cannot meet demand is not necessarily a bad thing, as it's human nature to want what we can't have or what is "exclusive"/"limited" even if we want to deny that. Who knows what demand would be like if everyone could sign up and get a GT3 or the lot was stocked with them, I honestly don't know.

What I take big issue with, is that the dealers have gotten greedy as soon as one started charging ADMs, and using these allocations as carrots on a stick to try and get clients to do dumb things like buy other cars they don't want, or try to "build a relationship" whatever way the dealer wants which is a very very speculative and uncertain way to get a car you really want with $200k cash in hand. It definitely makes sense to reward the best customers with the harder to get cars, I totally understand and buy that. What I take issue with is the extent of which they do that and try to **** over the little guys who wait patiently and just want to own/drive their dream car which is what this should be all about. They are so focused on greed, with customer experience and service thrown out the window to make quick profits... I don't want to generalize but in my experience, if the Porsche dealer is not owned by a mom and pop operation as their sole Porsche dealership (e.g. chains, or dealers in bigger markets), I trust them about as far as I can throw them because what they tell me is one thing while I am sure they are huddled in their meetings discussing a different thing entirely. I go in with a mentality that they will **** me over if they can in any way shape or form which is not necessarily a good experience, and they can tell me one thing and then a different or subjectively "better" client walks in and hears another thing. And when I read/see other RLers have this experience, that irks me. Much much much bigger problems in the world, but I work too hard for my money to pay for this type of experience. I'm going to try and buy my next cars privately/from enthusiasts and if I even have to pay more (look at how many delivery mile cars for sale or I'll go air cooled), I probably will rather than give dealers my money. Only issue is euro delivery but another fun thing I'm considering is buying something fun and leaving it abroad
Old 08-30-2018, 12:39 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

[QUOTE=sampelligrino;15254247

Enjoy in good health my friend and to be honest with you, my GT3 might be my first and last new GT car purchased because I'm close to done with giving any dealer a nickel of my hard earned money based on the politics/games they are playing with most people who aren't whales or have extensive purchase history in my markets. You made an awesome choice, spec also looks really good[/QUOTE]

That's exactly how I felt, the game playing and taking care of the whales really got to me but at the end I will for sure put more miles on this baby then most GT3 owners and will put a big smile on my face when I am driving it. The fun will start this Sunday when I go to pick up my Targa.

Last edited by vipertom 1970; 08-30-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I think the fact that they limit supply or cannot meet demand is not necessarily a bad thing, as it's human nature to want what we can't have or what is "exclusive"/"limited" even if we want to deny that. Who knows what demand would be like if everyone could sign up and get a GT3 or the lot was stocked with them, I honestly don't know.

What I take big issue with, is that the dealers have gotten greedy as soon as one started charging ADMs, and using these allocations as carrots on a stick to try and get clients to do dumb things like buy other cars they don't want, or try to "build a relationship" whatever way the dealer wants which is a very very speculative and uncertain way to get a car you really want with $200k cash in hand. It definitely makes sense to reward the best customers with the harder to get cars, I totally understand and buy that. What I take issue with is the extent of which they do that and try to **** over the little guys who wait patiently and just want to own/drive their dream car which is what this should be all about. They are so focused on greed, with customer experience and service thrown out the window to make quick profits... I don't want to generalize but in my experience, if the Porsche dealer is not owned by a mom and pop operation as their sole Porsche dealership (e.g. chains, or dealers in bigger markets), I trust them about as far as I can throw them because what they tell me is one thing while I am sure they are huddled in their meetings discussing a different thing entirely. I go in with a mentality that they will **** me over if they can in any way shape or form which is not necessarily a good experience, and they can tell me one thing and then a different or subjectively "better" client walks in and hears another thing. And when I read/see other RLers have this experience, that irks me. Much much much bigger problems in the world, but I work too hard for my money to pay for this type of experience. I'm going to try and buy my next cars privately/from enthusiasts and if I even have to pay more (look at how many delivery mile cars for sale or I'll go air cooled), I probably will rather than give dealers my money. Only issue is euro delivery but another fun thing I'm considering is buying something fun and leaving it abroad
I believe the dealer profit built into these cars at MSRP is around 10%, and if dealers can double that profit or more, I expect that they'll try to do that. They're just responding to incentives. If I could easily double the profits of my business without significant adverse long-term effects and without doing anything illegal, I'd do it. And keep in mind that every dealership has owners, and for them especially it's largely about the bottom line, rather than the interactions with customers which sales people and sales managers deal with.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:35 PM
Addicted-2-Speed
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If dealers can double that profit or more, I expect that they'll try to do that.
If I could easily double the profits of my business without significant adverse long-term effects and without doing anything illegal, I'd do it.
And keep in mind that every dealership has owners, and for them especially it's largely about the bottom line.
Yes, yes, and yes! Whether dealers or mafia it's...“It’s not personal. It’s strictly business.”
Old 08-30-2018, 01:52 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

I believe the dealer profit built into these cars at MSRP is around 10%, and if dealers can double that profit or more, I expect that they'll try to do that. They're just responding to incentives. If I could easily double the profits of my business without significant adverse long-term effects and without doing anything illegal, I'd do it. And keep in mind that every dealership has owners, and for them especially it's largely about the bottom line, rather than the interactions with customers which sales people and sales managers deal with.
Well you and I differ there and that's totally ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I care more about staying true to my values and doing things with integrity rather than focusing on my bottom line, and I believe I've been more rewarded for that than a singular focus on profit. Money/profit is not everything to me and I care more about delivering a product to my customers that I can be proud of, and ensure I do what I can to make sure their experience is great, that they are happy. If that costs me 5-10% in profit, I'll take that hand over fist any day of the week, profit and money is not going to dictate how I run my business (I'm a home builder) but having happy clients and delivering a quality experience is. Money does not control me and it never will. Seems like my mentality is the exception rather than the norm these days, but I don't judge anyone or anything other than my own experiences.
Old 08-30-2018, 02:09 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Well you and I differ there and that's totally ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I care more about staying true to my values and doing things with integrity rather than focusing on my bottom line, and I believe I've been more rewarded for that than a singular focus on profit. Money/profit is not everything to me and I care more about delivering a product to my customers that I can be proud of, and ensure I do what I can to make sure their experience is great, that they are happy. If that costs me 5-10% in profit, I'll take that hand over fist any day of the week, profit and money is not going to dictate how I run my business (I'm a home builder) but having happy clients and delivering a quality experience is. Money does not control me and it never will. Seems like my mentality is the exception rather than the norm these days, but I don't judge anyone or anything other than my own experiences.
I actually share your values. I'm a professional engineer, and have often sacrificed money for the sake of my professional and business values. I've always run my company with a focus on service and let the money be what it is (in my field, I can't substantially increase my profit margin without compromising my values). When I go to bed at night, it's important to me that I feel good about what I do for a living and how I do it.

I just see the car business as a totally different kind of business where the focus is moving product and playing games to maximize the bottom line, hence the generally poor reputation of car dealers and sales people. http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...ofessions.html

Quick Reply: Are GT3s with ADM moving off dealer lots?