Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2018 | 02:18 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think you should get both and you already have the GT3 on the way, then just wait a couple years and buy the GT-R at a small percentage of its original price!

I was driving my .2 GT3 yesterday over some not very good roads and this GT3 is so much better than my previous cars. The ride in the new GT3 is better than in my
50th anniversary (GTS) in sport plus mode. Its EASILY a daily if you want it to be. That said every school kid is going to give you the thumbs up.
The following users liked this post:
P_S (12-06-2020)
Old 02-18-2018 | 03:02 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by kbGT

Congrats, and I couldn’t agree with you more. A Spec Miata on the street is a kidney buster. The GT3 is SO far from it. It’s easily daily-drivable for me, and could be even stiffer and louder without nearing any of my discomfort tolerance thresholds. The true testament to the GT3’s compliance was my 9 hour journey from LA to SF with LWBS. Not only did I not suffer any discomfort, but my wife didn’t complain once!

What color and specs did you end up with? You’re gonna love this thing!!!

Cheers,

Kevin
Chalk, PCCBs, FAL, black LEDs, manual transmission, buckets, chrono, a few leather and carbon fiber options. I was going to go with Miami Blue, but I hesitated due to not being able to see one in person in that color. But I've seen Chalk in person and I like it.

Originally Posted by OldGuy
I think you should get both and you already have the GT3 on the way, then just wait a couple years and buy the GT-R at a small percentage of its original price!

I was driving my .2 GT3 yesterday over some not very good roads and this GT3 is so much better than my previous cars. The ride in the new GT3 is better than in my
50th anniversary (GTS) in sport plus mode. Its EASILY a daily if you want it to be. That said every school kid is going to give you the thumbs up.
I doubt I'll ever have two cars like this at the same time. But if I were to get another, it'd be an RS (991.2 or 992 when they come out). I can tell after a few hours driving these things they're exactly the kind of car I'll stick with for years.
Old 02-14-2020 | 11:14 AM
GT3CupMR
Intermediate

https://www.meritpartners.com/featur...e-gt3-991-2-4/

Merit Partners has a well sorted chalk GT3 that I would consider. If you get a full Dundon exhaust system, a Numeric short throw shifter & cables and some Autoquest seat angle adjusters, you may never want to sell your car. The best part of the GT3 manual is the engagement & sound . Most cars lose that due to dual clutch transmissions and turbos.

The Dundon full system will make your car sing like Bocelli
LVMCars (12-01-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 12:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Carlsen and 'just a little over MSRP' in the same sentence... stop it, you're killin' me..
+1! ... Is that the drone of a squadron of pigs flying overhead I hear???

With the sale of Sonnen - I dont know of any bay area dealership that will sell a GT car at MSRP...
Old 02-14-2020 | 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Ok, so I drove a 991.2 GT3 the other day. Great car. Felt similar to the 991.1 GT3 RS, albeit less of a "race car."

As far as people saying it's too harsh or too much car or whatever for a DD or even for a weekend car, I didn't feel that was the case at all. The .2 GT3 in stiff suspension mode felt about the same as the .1 RS in soft suspension mode. And the .2 GT3 in soft suspension mode felt about the same as the GTS I drove. Road noise was basically from the tire choice. The occasional ping of a rock or pebble could be heard, but it's a non-issue for me considering I'm getting this car for weekend fun. Keep the car under 4k - 5k and it's like any other daily commuter (not that I will be DD'ing the car, but one could).

I think people exaggerate on the internet—A LOT. Maybe the .1 GT3 was rougher around the edges and people were drawing conclusions about the .2 based on that? I've not driven a .1 GT3. Just the RS. But the .2 GT3 is lightyears away from the kidney crusher many people were making it out to be. I can actually see myself wanting a stiffer spring rate or at least running a stiffer sway bar setting if the car has adjustable ones as OEM. The .2 GT3 is downright comfy on the streets. I spent maybe 3 hours in the .1 GT3RS and 2 hours in the .2 GT3. And both were fantastic; not a single moment of discomfort.

I've been in some real body-crusher cars. Ones that rattled your teeth going over bumps. The .2 GT3 is NOT like that at all.

Can't wait for my .2 GT3 to arrive in May!
May???
Old 02-14-2020 | 12:57 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

lol... as you can see I have a .2 RS Got the GT3 in manual, had it for a year and then upgraded to the RS. I do miss the manual sometimes, but the RS really is amazing. Just installed side bypass exhaust and it transformed the car. More raw and exciting on every shift. How the car should have come from the factory. I've done a bunch of track days on both cars. Completely happy with my decision. I really can't think of any other car I'd realistically rather have than the GT3RS. If I had to choose another car that I could actually afford? Hmmm.... maybe a 720S? Maybe a Performante? But I'd rather have the Porsche.
X2Board (12-01-2020)
Old 02-14-2020 | 01:01 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
May???
This thread is very old... Look at the dates.
Old 02-14-2020 | 01:03 PM
GT3CupMR
Intermediate

https://www.pcarmarket.com/auction/2...gt3-touring-1/

Another Gorgeous car worth considering. The manual is soooo good, sometimes I think of getting another one as backup.
Old 02-14-2020 | 06:21 PM
tjg81296
Racer

Originally Posted by Earlierapex

You can’t get over a 4 inch culvert in a driveway. The tires don’t last, the stereo sucks. At low speeds, the lwfw sounds like a spoon in the garbage disposal.

Sign me up
Old 02-14-2020 | 07:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

This thread is very old... Look at the dates.
I eventually did!
Old 12-01-2020 | 01:48 AM
LVMCars
Track Day

lol... as you can see I have a .2 RS Got the GT3 in manual, had it for a year and then upgraded to the RS. I do miss the manual sometimes, but the RS really is amazing. Just installed side bypass exhaust and it transformed the car. More raw and exciting on every shift. How the car should have come from the factory. I've done a bunch of track days on both cars. Completely happy with my decision. I really can't think of any other car I'd realistically rather have than the GT3RS. If I had to choose another car that I could actually afford? Hmmm.... maybe a 720S? Maybe a Performante? But I'd rather have the Porsche.
Just read the whole thread. Interesting you traded in the manual for the RS. And you don’t miss the manual? In a bit of situation where i miss driving manual and PDK is fun but 3 clicks and you’re already over the speed limit lol
Old 12-01-2020 | 02:04 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by LVMCars
Just read the whole thread. Interesting you traded in the manual for the RS. And you don’t miss the manual? In a bit of situation where i miss driving manual and PDK is fun but 3 clicks and you’re already over the speed limit lol
I do miss the manual. A manual will always be more fun on the street for me. But the RS isn't lacking in the fun department either and still to this day I can't think of any other car out there I would realistically rather have. The car is just insane. I fell in love with it all over again the other day on some fun mountain roads. This car gives you such a connected, visceral experience.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 12-01-2020 at 02:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FourT6and2:
Palting (12-01-2020), X2Board (12-01-2020)

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?