Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyday tire alternatives GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014 | 01:42 AM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

Default Everyday tire alternatives GT3

As I didn't want to spam the other threads, I thought we could maybe discuss this here…

I am also considering fitting more everyday suitable tires onto my GT3 .. The real bugger is: I had PSS on 2 cars before and was rather unimpressed by them xD… Yep, they were okay in the dry, but I preferred the AD08 that I had before that by a considerable margin… and now they released the R Version, which seems to be ideal for my purposes (ie. a few track days and better mileage than MPSC etc) … And now the problem… 1. I am not allowed to drive tires in Germany with such a low speed index (thx to Autobahn) and they are not produced in GT3 sizes anyway xD

So that leaves me with 4 Options:

1. PZero of the 991TTS… They seemed good enough to set a record with the TTS on the Sachsenring, but from my experience they were as good as the PSS in the dry but wore a lot faster… Or is the 991TTS N-Spec compound really stickier?! Any suggestions?

2. PSS… well … would be my 3rd car with them… and though they last okay"ish" the AD08 wore better on track and were just better (heat/grip etc)… they worked best in Temp. below 20°C from my experience… and really, I was a bit disappointed as I just hoped for a bit more dry grip from them on both cars I had… But would be the "obvious" choice !?

3. Stick to the PSC2/SM Race… won't fit Trofeo R again, my tyre blew on the Nordschleife and don't trust these tires anymore (though the grip was marvelous).. would be nice to see what milage we get out of the other 2

4. The "risky" option and maybe some will be surprised (probably everyone)…

-> The Vredestein Ultrac Vorti R

Last year the normal version of the Vorti was the best dry handling tyre @ Sportautos tyre test and beat PSS/PZero etc … and in 2013 Vredestein released, as it seems, a kind of AD08 competitor?!
Well at least I think this, as the UTQG/treadwear rating dropped from 320 to 160 … and as they deliver it in the right sizes, maybe this could be an option?? What do u guys think, worth a try??? Or maybe someone already tested the Vorti R ???
But I a bit unsure, as 1. the "carbon fibre look" just looks a bit silly … and Vredesteins are kind of known for more comfortable/ good wet tyres and not really such "Extreme performance" tires !?

-> https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...31226966_n.jpg
Old 01-20-2014 | 12:58 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

I have found that the PSS has the best combination of cost, wear, dry grip, wet grip, road noise of any tire I've tried. I think it's still the gold standard.

Any of the DOT R-comps you mentioned are going to cost 2x as much and last 1/4x as long. It's up to you.
The following users liked this post:
djcxxx (12-01-2020)
Old 01-20-2014 | 02:09 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Can't speak to the Vorti specifically, but I had a set of Sessanta's on my M3 and didn't find them offensive. This is a step up, performance wise, in the car though.

I would agree that the pseudo carbon weave thing is a bit much.
Old 01-20-2014 | 02:59 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Serge944
I have found that the PSS has the best combination of cost, wear, dry grip, wet grip, road noise of any tire I've tried. I think it's still the gold standard.

Any of the DOT R-comps you mentioned are going to cost 2x as much and last 1/4x as long. It's up to you.
+1

I vividly recall going to my very first cars-n-coffee after buying my 2010 GT3. I met someone there (MJONES?) who told me that I'd be putting new shoes on the gal in 2500 miles. I just laughed at that time, but... sure enough, I was putting new shoes on the gal, just as he'd predicted.

Once the MPSS came out, I put them on both my cars (GT3 and a BMW e46 M3) and never looked back. They'll go on the new car as well.

When I'm at the track, I'm using Hoosiers or slicks!
Old 01-20-2014 | 03:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

^ Yes, for street only I'd use PSS without hesitation.

For dual-purpose tire, I really hope AD08R or something similar is available soon.
Old 01-20-2014 | 03:26 PM
CaymanR-Racer
Intermediate

Really? As I said, was a bit disappointed... and after the trofeos I am sure there has to be an alternative inbetween like the AD08R.. Hence my suggestion of the Vorti R

BTW: got more miles out of the AD08 than the PSS.. they just didnt "melt" as much while on the circuit
Old 01-20-2014 | 04:19 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

With both my GT3's I have run PS2"s and have been quite happy since I drive more than most.
For the new GT3 I more than likely go with PSS
Old 01-20-2014 | 06:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
With both my GT3's I have run PS2"s and have been quite happy since I drive more than most.
For the new GT3 I more than likely go with PSS
are they making the MPSS in the fitments yet? - I would imagine that michelin might be concerned about canabalizing the MPSC2's ...
Old 01-20-2014 | 06:50 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
are they making the MPSS in the fitments yet? - I would imagine that michelin might be concerned about canabalizing the MPSC2's ...
Good point, sir! Tire selection in our 20" size will be a challenge. Let's hope that by the time I get a car (...if I ever get a car!) there will be a decent selection for both road and track.
Old 01-20-2014 | 06:54 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Tire Rack shows Pilot Super Sports as available in 991 GT3 size:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=60158&tab=All
Old 01-20-2014 | 08:17 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

What are you hoping to accomplish by swapping tires? The MPSC2 is now up to 180 treadwear, and it's probably better in pretty much every way than the AD08s.

The only real reason I'd consider a change would be to clear more water from the tread at autobahn speeds.

The PZero isn't my favorite tire, but its compounds and construction is constantly being updated and it's tuned for the 911/ turbo. Thus it would be my 2nd choice after the MPSC2, and I doubt there is room for a "better" tire between them. The PSS is very good all around, but hardens in the second half of its life and it's not tuned for the car. It would still probably be my third choice if my priority was tread life, but if those are your priorities you might not have the right car.
Old 01-20-2014 | 08:23 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Got the sizes but they are NOT yet "N" rated

Originally Posted by jfr0317
Tire Rack shows Pilot Super Sports as available in 991 GT3 size:
Old 01-20-2014 | 08:46 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Serge944

Agreed, it is probably the best all round tyre and my choice of wet track tyre as it works so well. In the heat, it does tend to struggle and show signs of melting but certainly no worse than the MPSCs which were absolute crap in the heat. Longevity: current set-3 wet days, 3 dry days and a 2hr skid pan session but nearly spent. On there 5th outing my pro instructor run a 1min43.1 on these tyres 2/3 spent. On a previous track day he ran a 1min42.8 on another guys 997.2RS with Sport Maxx r-comps so yes, they can be fast in the right hands and with the right alignment.

I don't do r-comp much these days because of the ridiculous pricing and the fact that they heat cycle out well before they are spent. Once heat cycled, they are slower than a newish set of streets from what we've found with the MPSCs.

The tyre I've found best for almost r-comp like grip and no fatigue in really hot weather are the Hankook RS3s... Have run them in 35oC plus weather for over 400km in a day and they didn't get greasy or sheath as other tyres do and they are cheaper... They are not ideal for wet weather so I have two sets of wheels, oem for street and wet track days (MPSS) and extra set for dry days (RS3s).

A suggestion, rather than throwing stickier rubber at a car to get times down, better to use a pro driver for instruction and benchmarking- it's the skills and tuition that gets fast times. My pro instructor, laps faster in my car on street tyres than amateur cup guys on slicks. I get the same pro instructor to benchmark each new tyre and/or alignment set up and I work towards closing the gap. Was down to <1sec on street alignment and MPSS, now 2.5sec off his time with RS3s and track alignment.
Old 01-20-2014 | 08:59 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petevb
What are you hoping to accomplish by swapping tires? The MPSC2 is now up to 180 treadwear, and it's probably better in pretty much every way than the AD08s.
The 180 threadwear is a trick accomplished by using harder compound on the insides of the tires. It makes sense for road use, but during hard track use it's outsides that wear in most cases, and they seems to be soft, according to posts from those who had a chance to use them. If people are getting 3 track days out of them, it's definitely not good. AD08R with good use should be ok for 8+ days.
Old 01-20-2014 | 09:01 PM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Got the sizes but they are NOT yet "N" rated
Unfortunately, that is the case. I am just about to replace the tires on my 2011 Turbo S cab with Pilot Super Sports (non-N rated). I don't think there are any N-rated sizes of Pilot Super Sport tires yet, but I wanted to try the PSS's, and I need tires now.

Quick Reply: Everyday tire alternatives GT3