Sponsored by:

Is the GT3 Right for Me?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Was your impression with the .1 that it was too much for the street? Too stiff, bouncy, uncomfortable? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm a young guy and willing to put up with noise and a sporty ride. But I don't want it to feel like a dedicated track car that I'd be insane to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge and up the PCH.
I took out a couple .1s to see what everyone was talking about with the quick PDK up-shifts driving around town and prospectively purchasing over the .2 due to limited availability. The .1s are great and there is a good value there esp due to the work a few members put in for the extended warranty from Porsche. I am mainly looking at a .1 or .2GT3 as a 4th car for on the off weekends I am alone or looking to do some HPDE or whatever. Anyway sure enough the PDK when the car is not in PDK sport reached 4th gear before I was going 45MPH, Obviously PDK sport and using the flappy paddles can take care of this, but anyway. The car is more of a track car refined for road use with blinkers, leather, and lets not forget the headlight washers, factor in LWBs and you girlfriend or wife will loathe taking the GT3 to date night if they are wearing a skirt, forget it. So anyway as mentioned the bluetooth sucks, radio lacking (even the Bose), rides rough, its noisy, but those are the characteristics which also make it a great car. None of those "cons" are what folks look for in a street-able track car.

In the end everyone is different and many do daily the GT3 but I wouldn't. The cool factor of daily-ing it would wear off after a month, for me. Again this is all my personal view on a couple of test drives...

Take a .1 out for a long test drive. Some dealers may let you take it out on your own for a few hours. Do that then report back. I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.

Last edited by rxtrom; 01-04-2018 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Especially coming from your Lexus into a car of this caliber and price (both the GTR and GT3), I would highly recommend spending some seat time in both. Either a .1 for the GT3 or if a fellow Bay Area Rennlister could help you out. There is no shame if one or the other isn't a good fit, this is all personal to you and your taste and comfort. For this kind of coin I was 1000% sure on what I wanted IMO and you should be too, so that you spend time just enjoying the car and not stressing or worrying if you made the right choice. I have a GT3 coming and I will say I absolutely love the GTR from what I've seen. More of a grand tourer, with an absolutely gorgeous interior and great noise. Wouldn't rule it out in your case, it actually might be the more rare car in the Bay Area. Feels like a sleeper compared with the GT3. If I wasn't a die hard 911 fan I would have given the GTR a hard look.
Solid advice, thanks.

I'm am usually one to jump head first into a decision like this. But only after I do lots of research. I don't know anybody with this type of car. And dealerships don't seem to do test drives (understandably). From what I gather, I agree with you. The AMG GTR is a bit more spacious. It's a touring car. The interior is more comfortable than the GT3. And it has more storage space (it's got a huge trunk in all reality). Storage is secondary to me in a car like this, so a non-issue. But I want to be comfortable and not in pain while driving for extensive amounts of time. Hell... a Lamborghini Huracan is comfortable to me. I've driven one of those and it didn't seem to be anything crazy in terms of daily drivability.

There are tracks I can go to and do laps in a bunch of sports cars, including the GT3. But that's track driving, not street driving. I also don't have long to make a decision, depending on what's available in the market at the moment. But we shall see.

There's another thread on here from a few months ago asking about track vs street with this car and the majority of people said street driving was just fine?

I know to take reviews with a grain of salt, but this is from Forbes:

"Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) is standard fitment on the GT3, and the new calibration on the electronic damping system removes most of the notorious harshness that surrounded its predecessor. I covered more than 200 miles of public roads, including bumpy secondary country roads, and while the road (tire) noise was occasionally overbearing on rough aggregate, I never felt like the chassis was brutal or abusive — my only continual complaint was with the intimidating rear spoiler, which politely blocks out all traffic behind the vehicle. The GT3 is sports car firm, more rigid than any standard 911, but never punishing."
Old 01-04-2018, 11:46 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
Have you driven or been in the AMG R. The reason why I am asking ,is a friend of mine got one of the first AMG-GT's, I could not believe how bad the car rode, I would think the R would be worse. I remember thinking as I got out ,they could not give me that car, I did not what to say anything to my friend and burst his bubble so I kept my mouth shut. About a month later I was at his house and said where's the AMG-GT, he said oh I got rid of it, he said it rode so bad I could not take it anymore. I thought ah ha,I know what your are talking about. He owned it for about a month. In my opinion my GT-3 rides much better, and for the type of driving you talking about on twisty roads and the highways up in the Bay Area I think you would love it!
Yeah, I've had time in the AMG GTR. The R is much improved. Better suspension all around than the previous GTs. It's a totally different car. That said, after seeing a GT3 in person today, I'm basically sold. IF it won't be a huge problem on the street...
Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by rxtrom
I took out a couple .1s to see what everyone was talking about with the quick PDK up-shifts driving around town and prospectively purchasing over the .2 due to limited availability. The .1s are great and there is a good value there esp due to the work a few members put in for the extended warranty from Porsche. I am mainly looking at a .1 or .2GT3 as a 4th car for on the off weekends I am alone or looking to do some HPDE or whatever. Anyway sure enough the PDK when the car is not in PDK sport reached 4th gear before I was going 45MPH, Obviously PDK sport and using the flappy paddles can take care of this, but anyway. The car is more of a track car refined for road use with blinkers, leather, and lets not forget the headlight washers, factor in LWBs and you girlfriend or wife will loathe taking the GT3 to date night if they are wearing a skirt, forget it. So anyway as mentioned the bluetooth sucks, radio lacking (even the Bose), rides rough, its noisy, but those are the characteristics which also make it a great car. None of those "cons" are what folks look for in a street-able track car.

In the end everyone is different and many do daily the GT3 but I wouldn't. The cool factor of daily-ing it would wear off after a month, for me. Again this is all my personal view on a couple of test drives...

Take a .1 out for a long test drive. Some dealers may let you take it out on your own for a few hours. Do that then report back. I'd love to hear what your thoughts are.
I will see what's in my area and if a dealer will let me take the keys. That said, is the .2's suspension different from the .1's? The review's I've read say it's been updated for better street driving. Maybe that's all car magazine BS.

I won't be daily driving the car, though. Weekends. Maybe the off road trip for fun. And no bucket seats.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:11 AM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I've had time in the AMG GTR. The R is much improved. Better suspension all around than the previous GTs. It's a totally different car. That said, after seeing a GT3 in person today, I'm basically sold. IF it won't be a huge problem on the street...
Good to hear that they have improved the ride in the R. As far as driving the GT-3 on the street, everyone has an opinion, I rotate driving mine to my office along with several other cars over a 3 month period, its not a problem. If you could get some seat time in one that would obviously go a long way in cementing in your mind which way to go. When I was looking that was not possible, including one dealer that had a very used 3300 mile 2014 which was one of the original press cars that got trashed. You gotta love some of these salesmen when I asked where did all the miles come from ,he said it was from taking the vehicle to various car shows from lawn to lawn as he put it. I thought right, I left immediately.,
Old 01-05-2018, 12:27 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by 2016 gt3
Good to hear that they have improved the ride in the R. As far as driving the GT-3 on the street, everyone has an opinion, I rotate driving mine to my office along with several other cars over a 3 month period, its not a problem. If you could get some seat time in one that would obviously go a long way in cementing in your mind which way to go. When I was looking that was not possible, including one dealer that had a very used 3300 mile 2014 which was one of the original press cars that got trashed. You gotta love some of these salesmen when I asked where did all the miles come from ,he said it was from taking the vehicle to various car shows from lawn to lawn as he put it. I thought right, I left immediately.,
Yeah, I've encountered a lot of BS from salesmen in my search for a car over the last few months. Every dealer I talk to is the biggest, oldest, best, most-selling one in the country. And every salesman has been with the brand for 30 years and has pull with corporate. And every car is like one of only 3 in that color in the country. And every model from every brand is highly limited production and there are no more allocations ever anywhere forever. Except the ONE that guy has that he's trying to sell lol.

For what it's worth, so far, my interactions with both Porsche enthusiasts and salesmen have been far more positive than any other brand.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:39 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

The GT3 is going to be stiff. You have be okay with that. Go test drive a standard 991 with SPASM. If you can't live with that ride, don't get a GT3.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06 AM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts
Smile

I will see what's in my area and if a dealer will let me take the keys. That said, is the .2's suspension different from the .1's? The review's I've read say it's been updated for better street driving. Maybe that's all car magazine BS.

I won't be daily driving the car, though. Weekends. Maybe the off road trip for fun. And no bucket seats.
I have a 2014 GT3-1 and have found it very comfortable on long trips - far more comfortable than any previous GT3 I've owned or driven.
I have the standard 4 way seats and find them more comfortable than the 18 Way seats in my TTS. I had buckets in my GT3RS and found them to be a PITA for daily driving.
From friends who have driven the AMG GT R, it is super-hard riding. I can believe that. My AMG E63S '14 Model is firmer than my '15 TTS.
AMG has not yet found the magic dust that Porsche has which combines a supple suspension with great handling. Other than Ferrari, I don't know of any other car manufacturer that has.
With a new 10 year Engine warranty a GT3-1 becomes a great alternative. But the best advice you have been given is drive both and decide which one rings your chimes.
Neither would be the "WRONG" choice, but with no tracking in your plans, I don't understand why you would WANT a GT R, which is specifically been designed for Tracking.
If street driving only, the AMG GT-S is likely a more comfortable DD, as would also be any 991 Porsche TTS or even a Turboed 911 GTS, all of which would make a smoother
and quieter DD with similar performance levels to the GT3 but lacking its responsiveness and sprightly handling.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 AM
DRE168
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in a similar situation. Had a deposit down for both GTR and .2GT3 as a track car that I could use as a nice weekend car. Ended up going with GT3. I’ve driven in for 600kms and although very comfortable as a streetable Track car I couldn’t use it as a daily.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:16 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I have a 2014 GT3-1 and have found it very comfortable on long trips - far more comfortable than any previous GT3 I've owned or driven.
I have the standard 4 way seats and find them more comfortable than the 18 Way seats in my TTS. I had buckets in my GT3RS and found them to be a PITA for daily driving.
From friends who have driven the AMG GT R, it is super-hard riding. I can believe that. My AMG E63S '14 Model is firmer than my '15 TTS.
AMG has not yet found the magic dust that Porsche has which combines a supple suspension with great handling. Other than Ferrari, I don't know of any other car manufacturer that has.
With a new 10 year Engine warranty a GT3-1 becomes a great alternative. But the best advice you have been given is drive both and decide which one rings your chimes.
Neither would be the "WRONG" choice, but with no tracking in your plans, I don't understand why you would WANT a GT R, which is specifically been designed for Tracking.
If street driving only, the AMG GT-S is likely a more comfortable DD, as would also be any 991 Porsche TTS or even a Turboed 911 GTS, all of which would make a smoother
and quieter DD with similar performance levels to the GT3 but lacking its responsiveness and sprightly handling.
Everyone I've spoken to who has driven both a GTR and a GT-S have said the GTR is much improved on the street over the previous GT cars. AMG have totally redesigned the suspension on the R as far as I understand. And again, I'm not getting a car for daily driving. As in every day, to and from work, to the store, and etc. But maybe that's semantics. As far as a GT3 vs a TTS and the like, I'm not knowledgable enough on every Porsche model to speak to that. All I know is that when I look through Porsche's current new-car lineup, the GT3 is the only one in my price range that speaks to me. The Turbo S is nice. But it starts at $190K and all said and done is well above what I want to pay and it's not as exciting in the looks department. There was one next to the GT3 I saw today. Great car. But maybe for an older crowd. The GT2RS is definitely too much car for me. I'd rather not get a pre-owned car as well.

Originally Posted by DRE168
I was in a similar situation. Had a deposit down for both GTR and .2GT3 as a track car that I could use as a nice weekend car. Ended up going with GT3. I’ve driven in for 600kms and although very comfortable as a streetable Track car I couldn’t use it as a daily.
Because it's too harsh of a ride? Or other reasons?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 144 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't think any dealership would hand me the keys to a new GT3 for a test drive. I personally wouldn't want to buy a $200,000 car that had been used as a demo car. I could find a used 991.1 to test drive though.

I won't be taking any dates to dinner in any car I buy right now since I live in a major walking city. NYC, SF... no need for a car to get around in either. Most people walk, Uber, or take the subway/BART. Would be weird to take a $200K car out to meet a date at the local ramen joint, just to park it on the street after driving 5 blocks haha. This car will be for me to drive out of town. That said... an hour or two at a time in the car on twisty roads or a highway is definitely something I'd be doing. Is the GT3 a no-go for that?
Definitely NOT a no-go for that type of driving; in fact it's perfect as long as you don't expect a boulevard ride, which it doesn't sound like you do. I personally wouldn't classify the GT3 as a "daily driver" in the strict sense of the word for some of the reasons already mentioned; kind of noisy, not a great stereo (can't really hear it at speed anyway), low ride height, and draws a little too much notice to park just anywhere without more attention than I find safe. But it's great for carving up back roads and even the occasional longer road trip is absolutely doable, especially with the sofa seats although the LWB's will also fill that bill if as long as they fit you well. Add to that the car's track capabilities and it is a perfect enthusiast's car. The Mercedes is exceptional, but I'd much rather have the Porsche. Not too surprising since that's obviously what I chose to spend my own money on.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:45 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
I am going to step out here. I own a .2 GT3 MT. I might suggest a super low mile 2 year old TT. I own one. Unless you are going to track a bunch it's a better street car IMHO. Smoother, quieter really fast and with the right tires no slouch on the track.

I am member of of the faithful and own an RS but I still think a TT is the one for general everyday street use.
+1 Have both, TT is better on the street unless I'm alone in the car in a middle of a perfect road in Canadian tundra - only then I wish I had my GT3 close by (and yes, roads in Canadain tundra are much better than in the Bay Area).
Old 01-05-2018, 03:03 AM
SoCal60
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. You could catch a Southwest flight to LA and drive a GT3 at the Porsche Experience Center in Carson. Really nice facility.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:06 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Is there a specific TT variant/year I should be looking at as an option?

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Definitely NOT a no-go for that type of driving; in fact it's perfect as long as you don't expect a boulevard ride, which it doesn't sound like you do. I personally wouldn't classify the GT3 as a "daily driver" in the strict sense of the word for some of the reasons already mentioned; kind of noisy, not a great stereo (can't really hear it at speed anyway), low ride height, and draws a little too much notice to park just anywhere without more attention than I find safe. But it's great for carving up back roads and even the occasional longer road trip is absolutely doable, especially with the sofa seats although the LWB's will also fill that bill if as long as they fit you well. Add to that the car's track capabilities and it is a perfect enthusiast's car. The Mercedes is exceptional, but I'd much rather have the Porsche. Not too surprising since that's obviously what I chose to spend my own money on.
Thank you for your thoughts. Yeah, I'm not looking for a cushy commuter. I want a weekend toy. But I'm not looking for a go-kart, if that makes sense.

I'm going to see if I can track down a used 991.1 for a test drive.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoCal60
Just a thought. You could catch a Southwest flight to LA and drive a GT3 at the Porsche Experience Center in Carson. Really nice facility.
Do they do road tests or is it on a track? I know there are tracks in Vegas where you can do laps in a bunch of exotics. Like 5 laps in 10 cars or something. But it's all on a track. Seems like a fun experience regardless. But not for seeing how all those cars behave on the street.

Quick Reply: Is the GT3 Right for Me?