3.13%
PTS - Bright Colour
4.49%
PTS - Dark Colour
6.12%
PTS - Classic Vintage
14.42%
Voters: 735. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,984 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Is the shifter different in the Touring than it is in the GT3 (meaning the way it looks)?
Old 01-22-2018, 08:45 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Is the shifter different in the Touring than it is in the GT3 (meaning the way it looks)?
No (other than black stitching on the boot because the stitching is black on a touring).
Old 01-22-2018, 09:26 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 294 Likes on 158 Posts

Chrome trim with black wheels?
Old 01-22-2018, 09:56 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
Chrome trim with black wheels?
+1. Other way around is fine.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:29 PM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts
Default My car has arrived

Saw my car today...and this is going to come off sort of juvenile....and I know the light is crappy..and weather is heinous here...so can't put it outside, but the 'Satin Aluminum' wheels were not what I wanted for my car. When my SA and I were building it, we were clicking between the two options i liked being Regular Silver and Painted Satin Aluminum - and for what ever reason, Painted Satin Aluminum got clicked when I wanted a brighter 'old school' brighter sheen to match the aluminum trim around the windows. I find the satin just not to my liking...almost lifeless..at least in the light of a storage garage on a cloudy day. Am I wrong - am I nuts to want to change the wheels because I am intent on doing it unless I have completely misread something here. Is there fix in buffing the wheel to make it look like the OEM regular silver I was after? When reviewing my order after making it, I actually thought that that Painted Satin Aluminum wheel had a 'white ish' look to it a la 911R. If you ordered Painted Satin Aluminum for your car, what was the look you were after. Truth be told, I am a little deflated...stupid I know but thought I ordered the perfect car for me and well not as I had envisaged my perfect car. Any ideas to get me out of this with minimal cost? Not jamming it down my dealers throat because I did sign the order...and have to bare some (all i guess) responsibility here.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 PM
linusto
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft

Saw my car today...and this is going to come off sort of juvenile....and I know the light is crappy..and weather is heinous here...so can't put it outside, but the 'Satin Aluminum' wheels were not what I wanted for my car. When my SA and I were building it, we were clicking between the two options i liked being Regular Silver and Painted Satin Aluminum - and for what ever reason, Painted Satin Aluminum got clicked when I wanted a brighter 'old school' brighter sheen to match the aluminum trim around the windows. I find the satin just not to my liking...almost lifeless..at least in the light of a storage garage on a cloudy day. Am I wrong - am I nuts to want to change the wheels because I am intent on doing it unless I have completely misread something here. Is there fix in buffing the wheel to make it look like the OEM regular silver I was after? When reviewing my order after making it, I actually thought that that Painted Satin Aluminum wheel had a 'white ish' look to it a la 911R. If you ordered Painted Satin Aluminum for your car, what was the look you were after. Truth be told, I am a little deflated...stupid I know but thought I ordered the perfect car for me and well not as I had envisaged my perfect car. Any ideas to get me out of this with minimal cost? Not jamming it down my dealers throat because I did sign the order...and have to bare some (all i guess) responsibility here.
I really think you need to see it in better light. It’s surprising how much lighting can affect your perception of the look of the rims. And from what I see in your pic, the car looks stunning with those rims. Just wait to make any $$$ decisions until you’ve had a chance to get a better look. I was going to go for the same rims had I not chosen Guards Red for my colour. Other threads on this forum also do demonstrate how similar (identical?) these rims are to those of the 911R.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Sorry to hear you do not like satin aluminium for the wheels. The good point is that new take off wheels are quite valuable relative to the cost of a wheel set from Porsche.

Suncoast has platinum wheels for $6m us, I should think the stock silver should be close in price and you can probably get 5k for your satin aluminium and a few dollars for swapping tires.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

I would suggest really looking at the wheels in person first and take delivery to see how you feel since they are already on the car

If it bothers you that much I am sure that there is a refinish option or wheel swap option (likely at a big cost)

I have seen both wheels in person and honestly from the picture your SA sent you, I highly doubt you'd be able to even tell if the wheels were std silver or satin alu, you might be wanting just a non-silver looking wheel? If you hadn't told me that the wheels were satin aluminum I would have guessed they were standard silver
Old 01-22-2018, 11:18 PM
Chris88
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree, you need to see your wheels outside in bright light. I had the same fears and now am completely satisfied with my Satin Aluminum wheels. I also think they go well with the Silver window trim.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 PM
bluehorseshoe
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 179 Posts

Overdraft:

Those Satin Aluminum optional wheels are the 911R wheels. They do look whitish and pearlescent in many lights. Give them a chance. Don't stress. Your wheels will match your trim nicely. Congrats on a beautiful build.
BTW, in pictures it's near impossible to distinguish between the base wheels and optional Satin Aluminum wheels.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:28 PM
Provie
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 36 Posts

As others have mentioned, it’s worth seeing in person before making this decision. Seeing both in person, I liked the satin version better (same wheels on 911R).
And no matter what you decide, do NOT refinish these! You would regret darely! I was told the satin wheels are significantly MORE expensive than all the other finishes when bought separately (something like 50% more per set iirc). If you don’t like them, sell them before driving and use the extra for/ towards your first set of replacement tires.
With the iron brakes, I can see the draw towards standard silver though...
Truth be told I’m switching from black to satin AL wheels after I saw them in person.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:12 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

@overdraft like said by others see it in proper lightning first, if you are still not happy the lowest cost solution would be to dip them and dipping are easily reversible as it is removable and not permanent. The only issue with dip is if you need to flat bed your car or ship it make sure they don't wrap the "ropes" (or whatever they are called) around the spokes they can do it in a way that goes on top of the tire

Mine were originally platinum and i was happy with them then when i wrapped my car i dipped my wheels to gold. I will probably get them done again not in dip but the regular method as i feel it is better quality than dip. Dip is something good if you just want it temporary like for a year or two and cost less. No matter what you select to do, i would wait until it is outside.

I also selected the silver standard finish whenever i am on the configurator.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with others, give them time, you may prefer them in a different light. To be frank though, the reasons you mention are exactly the reasons I went with standard silver. I think std wheels match the trim better, and I find the satin wheels a little ‘flat’. The only counterpoint to giving the wheels time is you might be able to swing a swap through your dealer or someone else if they are still ‘new’ rather than with some miles on them.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Congrats Dennis, she's a beauty!
As others have said, wait until you see it under natural light before you make any decisions.
I think/hope you will be pleased when you do.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:58 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSRS

That is actually Westminster Grey. I thought it was Agate as well until I checked the 911 R book and cross checked the serial number from my database and the color associated with it in the R book.
Does anyone know what colour wheel pictured is on this 991r?

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL GT3 Touring owners pictures thread..