Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 08:51 PM
rhk118
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 172 Posts

Question for those who have gone through several iterations of exhausts:

I picked up a used GRP and a used Sharkwerks rear delete when I got my GT3T last month. I love the volume and timber of the GRP and love the refined sound / better in cabin engine sounds not being drowned out by the Sharkwerks. With valves unplugged the GRP drone in the 2000-3000 rpm range is a bit much, but Sharkwerks has no drone with valves unplugged and I love the extra volume below 4K with the valves open.

Guess I’m going to ask the golden question here that has made this thread go on for 60+ pages: How do I get the volume/rawness of the GRP (it’s my preference) but some of the refined in-cabin engine sounds of the sharkwerks? I do like the Sharky with open valves throughout, just wish it could produce the sound of the GRP up top!

I know the answer is catted street headers but the local dealer i want to use for service seemed to indicate that would void engine warranty, and don’t want to push it until I get to know them.

Appreciate input from anyone who found themselves in my same situation (or just keep switching rears every few months LOL)...
Old 10-03-2020, 08:55 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

By a JCR, and get the best of both worlds.
Old 10-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Be aware we may be seing dundon copies floating around, just seen this on alibaba's mertop exhaust company

DMS copy
Old 10-04-2020, 01:36 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 370 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiaim
Be aware we may be seing dundon copies floating around, just seen this on alibaba's mertop exhaust company

DMS copy
hmmmm. Will investigate. Always a good idea to call us and purchase items. And anytime it’s wrapped like this you can’t see the welds.
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

My grandmother would have referred this as buying a pig in a poke.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:09 PM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by skxf430
By a JCR, and get the best of both worlds.
Maybe JCR is the answer for me, but valved race or silenced race? If anyone with a JCR can chime in with what type, how it would compare to a rear center delete if you ran one (what rear did you have and what JCR did/do you have)...

Wondering if I just need to try some side deletes with stock rear muffler -- would love if the volume of the exhaust is similar to a GMG or GRP or Soul out back (megaphone-type) BUT didn't dilute the engine sounds so much inside. I love the engine sounds in cabin with the Sharkwerks but can't hear the exhaust really at all valves open all the time until I hit 5-5.5K (for sure others can hear it). I also love the sound of the GRP for the exhaust note. That definitely can be heard! GRP off to get ceramic coated a different color...crack pipe...I hear crack makes everything better LOL...

Last edited by rhk118; 10-04-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:17 PM
hashash
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 145 Posts

Silenced
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (10-04-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 09:41 AM
5280_GT3
Instructor

Received 241 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rhk118
Maybe JCR is the answer for me, but valved race or silenced race? If anyone with a JCR can chime in with what type, how it would compare to a rear center delete if you ran one (what rear did you have and what JCR did/do you have)...

Wondering if I just need to try some side deletes with stock rear muffler -- would love if the volume of the exhaust is similar to a GMG or GRP or Soul out back (megaphone-type) BUT didn't dilute the engine sounds so much inside. I love the engine sounds in cabin with the Sharkwerks but can't hear the exhaust really at all valves open all the time until I hit 5-5.5K (for sure others can hear it). I also love the sound of the GRP for the exhaust note. That definitely can be heard! GRP off to get ceramic coated a different color...crack pipe...I hear crack makes everything better LOL...
Ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different answers. I started with a SW Center bypass, quickly switched it up to a FabSpeed Race X pipe and only kept that on long enough to track down a used JCR Ti Race pipe. IMO it's the best sounding pipe out there. Silenced, valved, etc is simply personal preference. I couldn't imagine mine sounding any different now. 7k+ rpms and it sounds like a circular saw is going through a skull
The following users liked this post:
rhk118 (10-06-2020)
Old 10-06-2020, 10:03 AM
rhk118
Pro

Originally Posted by 5280_GT3
7k+ rpms and it sounds like a circular saw is going through a skull
Hope you're a neurosurgeon ....I have no idea what that would sound like! Although with the GRP valves open all the time I did hit a couple resonant frequencies with windows down where the cabin clearly was the speaker enclosure!
Old 10-06-2020, 04:47 PM
Tracky
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Jiaim

DMS copy
Don't see this on their website. I'm curious what the price will be.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:14 PM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Damage
Don't see this on their website. I'm curious what the price will be.
scroll down to "about us" but it's not listed yet.
Old 03-19-2024, 09:16 PM
timelessicons
6th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sharkwerks Track exhaust for 991.1 RS?

Hey all.

I've been planning on an exhaust for a 911.1 GT3RS and after speaking to someone about Sharkwerks, I've been leaning towards that. I've been lookin around for a bit but when searching for it on a 991.1 RS and with the track exhause, I've only found one vid on youtube (driving Into the unknown) was the vid. Most of the vids I found with track sharkwerks were with other model 911 cars so I can't really base my decision off that. Does anyone have another vid with just the track exhaust and no other exhaust mods done to it on a 911.1 RS? Also, the price was around 2500.00 and as I understand it, It's all bolt on and doesn't pop up any codes once installed, which were also heavy deciding factors. When he told me it spits flames, I was like...really? lol Great way to sell me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by timelessicons; 03-19-2024 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2024, 11:21 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by timelessicons
Hey all.

I've been planning on an exhaust for a 911.1 GT3RS and after speaking to someone about Sharkwerks, I've been leaning towards that. I've been lookin around for a bit but when searching for it on a 991.1 RS and with the track exhause, I've only found one vid on youtube (driving Into the unknown) was the vid. Most of the vids I found with track sharkwerks were with other model 911 cars so I can't really base my decision off that. Does anyone have another vid with just the track exhaust and no other exhaust mods done to it on a 911.1 RS? Also, the price was around 2500.00 and as I understand it, It's all bolt on and doesn't pop up any codes once installed, which were also heavy deciding factors. When he told me it spits flames, I was like...really? lol Great way to sell me. Thanks in advance.
Another option, the GMG Racing Center Section:

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 03-28-2024, 05:37 AM
JabsZA
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default JCR vs Dundon

I love this thread - and all the opinions/experiences therein.

My 2 cents...

I've owned a 997.1 GT3 and 718 GT4 in the last 2 years. I've also previously owned a 991.1 GT3 whilst living in Germany and currently have a 991.2 GT3. I live in London.
I've tried multiple setups, but in my opinion - two best setups are either JCR or Dundon. I appreciate AWE is also a stellar option and one could argue Akra etc...horses for courses...but i will only focus on the two i have mentioned. (this is not to say the rest are not amazing in their own right)

Whilst having access to JCR here in the UK is very convenient and dealing with them/exchanging is a breeze - my experience was mixed.

On the 997 - the JCR was amazing...sounded like a Cup car when under load. I installed their back box and side deletes. The sound was amazing if not a bit too obnoxious. Slight drone on high gears/lower speeds, but overall great. Not noticeable power gains..but that could be because i am a noob.
On the GT4 - again with the JCR, i did the headers and link pipes setup first. Left the valves in/on, so i had a sleeper when driving slow/around town, but again - a screamer when it punched above 4k RPM. I then tried to add the back box - and HATED it within the first 5miles. The combo, for some reason, just does not work...way too loud and extremely droney! Got rid of this very quickly and the chaps at JCR were amazing in offering me a buy back option etc...

When i got my 991.2 GT3 few months back, i decided to try Dundon - also because of their racing pedigree and claimed power bump...but also cos of the flavour of sound it offered over a JCR.
I went for the headers, cats, backbox...was finally installed all yesterday. I took it for a spirited drive and MAN am i happy! Its quiet when needing to be, but gloriously generous when i want it to be. ZERO bloody drone! here i can feel the power bump....

Yes, its very pricey - but this is the best setup in my experience and i would not go with anything else.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:09 AM
markiegt3
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi JabsZA,

I am in Surrey and also have the Dundon system.

Is your gt3 still under an extended warranty? If so, is your OPC aware and what have they said re the Warranty?

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for a 991.2 GT3