Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Thanks which car comes close?
Shifting probably closest to GT4 (if no 911R is handy). And if neither is available, a manual Boxster or Cayman would give a relatively close impression - but the redlines and power outputs are so different as to make comparisons difficult...
Old 11-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Icutyou
I'm buying this shirt even if I get the PDK. Should cause some hilarious confusion
Where can you get this?? Can make for some interesting conversation.

I have a game of Throne black T-shirt that says on the front "That's what I do. I drink and I know things". It gets some funny conversations but not too far from the truth
Old 11-09-2017, 08:47 PM
Golden Boy
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
"Flappy paddles are for Grandmas'". If you want to sip your Starbuck's "felipe mosquito roasted mocha infused with apple syrup latte with a pinch of VJ" when driving- then get the PDK

hey. I used to drive a tanker (13 tons of hot asphalt) when i was 18 (18 years ago). I could sip a coffee smoke a cig and shift through all 18 forward and 3 reverse gears without spilling a drop of coffee. But hey... auto rev match manuals are for men..... For gridlock light to light bumper to bumper.(im from nyc and live here) PDK is the only option
Old 11-09-2017, 10:21 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

If the manual on the GT3.2 is as light as on the R, it’s really not going to be an issue as much as you’d imagine any other manual sports car to be. It’s ridiculously light
Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Akunob

Received 898 Likes on 569 Posts

PDK for me...Manual is for girlie men who still equate rowing their own gears with some sort of major accomplishment reserved for the male species.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:56 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

If you truly love driving and the experience, get the manual. If you’re just trying go from point “A” to point “B”, get PDK.

Simple.

So, for which purpose are you buying this car?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:59 PM
lfish
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts

I have not purchased the newer GT3's because they were not manual. Only manual for me. I still have my ABS only 2004 GT3.
Exactly and likewise. Will be happy to share insights about the 14 years of "progress" separating MT GT3s in 12 days. The manual is the whole raison d' etre for the GT3.2. I'm fortunate to live where lots of country roads (and MidOhio) are in close proximity and in each locale its not about winnowing the last tenth from my time but having the opportunity to get better and better at driving the car. Everyone is instantly an expert on a PDK. Slow learners like myself appreciate the learning curve.

However... I can't imagine driving a manual GT3 on a daily basis in NYC traffic. Seems totally contrary to the capabilities and purpose of the car.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 322 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by lfish
Exactly and likewise. Will be happy to share insights about the 14 years of "progress" separating MT GT3s in 12 days. The manual is the whole raison d' etre for the GT3.2. I'm fortunate to live where lots of country roads (and MidOhio) are in close proximity and in each locale its not about winnowing the last tenth from my time but having the opportunity to get better and better at driving the car. Everyone is instantly an expert on a PDK. Slow learners like myself appreciate the learning curve.

However... I can't imagine driving a manual GT3 on a daily basis in NYC traffic. Seems totally contrary to the capabilities and purpose of the car.
The worst is when you get finally get a break in the traffic just enough to get some revs and then the car falls into a pot hole or bounces off a metal construction plate. There is no winning. Plus, thanks to the governor, staties have increased the number traffic tickets given in NYC over 1000%!!!

http://nypost.com/2017/05/14/trooper...onomical-rate/

My Uber driver got pulled over by two undercovers in a POS toyota for not a lot given the way people drive in NYC. No more 2am drives up the FDR and down the west side drive....
Old 11-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Trying to avoid getting too political here but F deblasio.
Anyway my city leaves a lot to be desired but man I can’t live with or without it.
i wish I had long stretches of country road but in a couple weeks I would miss my mayhem.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:49 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Best thing about the PDK is that it gives you better access to the top end of the engine. If you want you can keep it between 7-9k. Try doing that in the manual and you’ll get bored very quickly.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Best thing about the PDK is that it gives you better access to the top end of the engine. If you want you can keep it between 7-9k. Try doing that in the manual and you’ll get bored very quickly.
What do you mean bored very quickly?

And past second you are talking about handcuffs speed anyway.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:41 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Despite having driven both the R and .2 GT3 MT, I think I'll stick to Mooty's food thread.

Does anything good ever result from MT v. PDK threads? Hmm...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
What do you mean bored very quickly?

And past second you are talking about handcuffs speed anyway.
Bored might not be exactly the right word. Maybe overworked. What I mean though is the PDK chap will be changing gear more often than his manual pal, including first and second gears. So Mr PDK will therefore be at the top of the Rev range more often. And that’s really the main point of this car over something like a GTS, 570, 488 etc. If we except that it’s simply not possible anyway because it’s illegal then yes the manual is better.

BTW I assume that PDK driver always in manual mode.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:39 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
PDK for me...Manual is for girlie men who still equate rowing their own gears with some sort of major accomplishment reserved for the male species.
:-)
And then look at those youtubes of people on the road or on track "manly rowing their own gears". Pottering around hardly ever changing gears, engine off the boil most of the time.
But the fun and involvement they had ...

And those that film their feet while heel toeing, like it is supposed to be some jedi skill ...
Old 11-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Despite having driven both the R and .2 GT3 MT, I think I'll stick to Mooty's food thread.

Does anything good ever result from MT v. PDK threads? Hmm...
Thats a shame. Would really value your input!

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2