Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 10:03 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

I am going back and fourth on PDK or Manual / Wing vs No Wing on a .2 GT3. I enjoy reading these recommendations and hope they keep coming. The road and track article was a lot of fun to read as well.

Currently, I drive a 991.1 GTS Cab w PDK on the weekends and do an occasional track day. I also Race an 84’ Camero V8 Manual in 24 hrs of lemons and Lucky Dog events. Here’s a pic from Laguna and of the GTS in the garage. As you can see I’m living out my fantasy of being a race car driver. Interstate Batteries suit and all.

I love driving my GTS on the street and backroads. I love driving it on the track. The downshifts are bliss when coming to a stop on main st or slowing down from 110mph > 40 at turn 11 at Sonoma. Upshifts are done mid turn when needed without any major disruption to the balance. It’s a very safe way to get around a racetrack where you don’t have to worry about balance issues coming from changing gears.

I also love driving the 84 Camero manual on the track wheel to wheel. The downshifts w heel to toe add a whole different set of skill requirements required to keep the car balanced at the limit. There is never a dull moment in that car as there is always room for improvement as it relates to gear changes.

So PDK vs Manual in a GT3 with my experience as a bias:

If I were daily driving it in NYC the stop and go traffic day in and day out would push me towards PDK. You need to be on your toes watching out for potholes / pedestrians / dump trucks / police cavalrymen etc. Adding the manual gear box IMO would be a lot to handle. The more nimble you are the better. You would also only live in 1st and 2nd since those gears are long from early reports. Advantage PDK.

Now, I would hope you would get out of the city to stretch her legs on the weekends. If so - Advantage Manual. No question.

I would also hope you would go to the track on occasion. PDK is faster, safer and easier than a manual but I don’t see PDK having an advantage here. Why - #1 you and I are not race car drivers so even though PDK is faster it’s not faster night and day. #2 PDK takes less skill to become ‘good at shifting’ so you will get bored of it as there are less variables to master. In comparison It’s always a learning experience in the Camero but pretty straight foreword in the GTS. Advantage Manual.

So my Vote or Score or whatever is 2 to 1 in favor of manual.

There is a reason why people look disappointed after hearing your Porsche race car is an automatic. I think it has something to do with the removal of one of the most engaging parts of driving....the shifting!

Good luck with your decision. You are a lucky man to have to decide.
Attached Images   
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
It never ceases to amaze me - people successful enough in life to be able to afford a Porsche are still insecure enough to need the validation of others and are unable to select the options on their own.

Get what you want. Not what some clown at a computer in his mothers' basement across the country suggests!

Either that or flip a coin. A 1961 Franklin half of course - all other coins are wrong.
who said i am successful. some of use got lucky and married well. i need validation and cars with BIG wings help
Old 11-14-2017, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,030 Likes on 5,242 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
who said i am successful. some of use got lucky and married well. i need validation and cars with BIG wings help
I divorced well.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:19 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I divorced well.
Smartest of all.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:37 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

I am with Mooty. Marrying well works just fine
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 121 Posts

Edit: buy pdk

Last edited by mass27; 11-14-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:43 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,800 Likes on 2,376 Posts

i like PDK a lot
add manual for variety
if only one i like pdk.
YMMV
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
a nice little article from Road & Track showing theoretical track time lost with manual shifts, and logic behind having "the fastest car on track" vs just buying a car you can enjoy the driving experience.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...nual-on-track/
Great article. I agree that no one should buy a GT3 because it sets good lap times. Get a proper race car that doesn’t weigh 1,450 kg and spend the spare on a trailer.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I am going back and fourth on PDK or Manual / Wing vs No Wing on a .2 GT3. I enjoy reading these recommendations and hope they keep coming. The road and track article was a lot of fun to read as well.

Currently, I drive a 991.1 GTS Cab w PDK on the weekends and do an occasional track day. I also Race an 84 €™ Camero V8 Manual in 24 hrs of lemons and Lucky Dog events. Here €™s a pic from Laguna and of the GTS in the garage. As you can see I €™m living out my fantasy of being a race car driver. Interstate Batteries suit and all.

I love driving my GTS on the street and backroads. I love driving it on the track. The downshifts are bliss when coming to a stop on main st or slowing down from 110mph > 40 at turn 11 at Sonoma. Upshifts are done mid turn when needed without any major disruption to the balance. It €™s a very safe way to get around a racetrack where you don €™t have to worry about balance issues coming from changing gears.

I also love driving the 84 Camero manual on the track wheel to wheel. The downshifts w heel to toe add a whole different set of skill requirements required to keep the car balanced at the limit. There is never a dull moment in that car as there is always room for improvement as it relates to gear changes.

So PDK vs Manual in a GT3 with my experience as a bias:

If I were daily driving it in NYC the stop and go traffic day in and day out would push me towards PDK. You need to be on your toes watching out for potholes / pedestrians / dump trucks / police cavalrymen etc. Adding the manual gear box IMO would be a lot to handle. The more nimble you are the better. You would also only live in 1st and 2nd since those gears are long from early reports. Advantage PDK.

Now, I would hope you would get out of the city to stretch her legs on the weekends. If so - Advantage Manual. No question.

I would also hope you would go to the track on occasion. PDK is faster, safer and easier than a manual but I don €™t see PDK having an advantage here. Why - #1 you and I are not race car drivers so even though PDK is faster it €™s not faster night and day. #2 PDK takes less skill to become €˜good at shifting €™ so you will get bored of it as there are less variables to master. In comparison It €™s always a learning experience in the Camero but pretty straight foreword in the GTS. Advantage Manual.

So my Vote or Score or whatever is 2 to 1 in favor of manual.

There is a reason why people look disappointed after hearing your Porsche race car is an automatic. I think it has something to do with the removal of one of the most engaging parts of driving....the shifting!

Good luck with your decision. You are a lucky man to have to decide.

thanks for the great post! I'm jealous. Now that my practice is slightly more settled I hope to have much more time for track activities this year.
Although I still haven't decided I know I'll be a happy man either way!
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 AM
Icutyou
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I divorced well.
I'm still trying to find a sugar mama! Then I can proceed to woo her and take HALF.

Originally Posted by mooty
i like PDK a lot
add manual for variety
if only one i like pdk.
YMMV
Thanks mooty! One thing I knew for sure was needed the big wing for breakfast and assorted food and drinks items like your pic!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 AM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is my 0.02

Track: PDK all the way
Street: Manual

Love PDK on the track but not on the road, manual makes the driving more involving.
If traffic is a concern, you are not driving the right car in traffic...

My .2 GT3...
My initial order was with PDK as I was planning to track it. I got the Radical in September and I saw the light... Called my dealer and switched my GT3 to manual as it won't see the track!
Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,128 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Here is my 0.02

I know I’m the weird one, but I love Manual for the track. I recently drove the 991.2 GT3 and Turbo (both PDK) on roads and tracks in Europe and I missed Manual most on the track. I missed it on the roads too, but most glaringly it made the track driving less interesting (still great, but with a large part of driver involvement and participation missing). I only really appreciated PDK for its launch control (which I now see is also included with the new Manual) and in traffic jams (which as you noted is no place to enjoy a Porsche with either gearbox).
Old 11-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

manual...come on.

If you want engagement in the NYC area though, why not something like a 996 GT3? That way you can atleast get some jollies in before exceeding the speed limit.

I considered selling my 7tt and 3tt for a new GT3, but then I realized I'd never get to use more than about 30% of the car's capabilities on the street, and I'm not rich enough to track a new $160k vehicle.

more fun to drive a slower car fast and all that. (yes, the 7tt is too fast for the street also).
Old 11-14-2017, 10:17 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Here is my 0.02

Love PDK on the track but not on the road, manual makes the driving more involving.
If traffic is a concern, you are not driving the right car in traffic...

My .2 GT3...
My initial order was with PDK as I was planning to track it. I got the Radical in September and I saw the light... Called my dealer and switched my GT3 to manual as it won't see the track!
Salut Pierre.
Lots in common... my GT3 Touring is a scheduled as a late Dec build, early March delivery. Wasn't really shopping GT3 until Touring was announced in Sept and my dealer offered an allocation.

For me, no wing plus manual only was a winning combo!!

Glad to hear your Radical experience is progressing well. Robert runs a great program, plus now your trailer graphics suits the contents!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:48 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
I know I’m the weird one, but I love Manual for the track. I recently drove the 991.2 GT3 and Turbo (both PDK) on roads and tracks in Europe and I missed Manual most on the track. I missed it on the roads too, but most glaringly it made the track driving less interesting (still great, but with a large part of driver involvement and participation missing). I only really appreciated PDK for its launch control (which I now see is also included with the new Manual) and in traffic jams (which as you noted is no place to enjoy a Porsche with either gearbox).
Yea unless it's wheel to wheel racing I am getting a little bored with the PDK on the track

Quick Reply: Manual Vs. PDK in the GT3 .2