Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2018 | 01:34 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drdonger
.2 RS will be NA. Moving forward it will be very difficult. In September 2019, all cars will have to undergo Real Driving Emissions (RDE) tests. That will be game over for normally aspirated cars. Our only hope will be a hybrid NA engine. Huracan, Aventador, R8, 812, GT3, GT3RS will be the last of their kind.

RDE step 1 – applies to new type approvals from 1 September 2017 and to all new registrations from 1 September 2019.
  • For RDE1 a NOx conformity factor of 2.1 will apply meaning that NOx emissions in the RDE1 test can be up to 2.1 times the Euro 6 laboratory limit of 80mg/km.
  • Cars type approved during this period will be described as meeting Euro 6d-temp.
RDE step 2 – applies to new type approvals from 1 January 2020 and to all new registrations from 1 January 2021.
  • For RDE2 the NOx conformity factor is 1.0 but with an error margin of 0.5 meaning that NOx emissions in the RDE2 test can be up to 1.5 times the Euro 6 laboratory limit of 80mg/km.
  • Cars type approved during this period will be described as meeting Euro 6d.
Unless the 992 GT3 is released and produced before Jan 2021, normally aspirated engines will for sure be gone.

September 2018 992 introduced.
Spring 2019 992's deliveries. c2, c2s, c4, c4s
Septmber 2019 Turbos introduced
March 2020 GTS models intorduced
September 2020 GT3 introduced
GT3 production starts 2021 - Won't meet the deadline.
^ This and if history repeats itself the next gt3 will be turbo.
Remeber when 997.2 911s went DFI, gt3/RS stuck with the old engine. Then 991.1 3/RS went DFI. Now 991.2 911s went turbo, while 3/RS are staying NA. See the similarities? I think 992 3/RS may join the rest of the 911 lineup as it happened with the last/current generation.
Old 01-27-2018 | 01:55 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by jo_ker
991.2 GT3RS mist is lifting.

525 hp or so .

will come also with Euro6c / particle filter after summer 2018.
so we will look also forward to a bright 992 GT future if this is true.

991 Speedster will follow with the same engine.
Annoying about the particle filter but still, better the damned filter than no car at all or such a stupidly short production window such that almost no one can get the car.

Arethe rumours about the factory at Stuttgart shutdown from May with no petrol cars being produced for a few months actually true btw? I find that impossible to believe personally that Porsche would be willing to effectively scrap 3 months or so of 911 production. While they are a SUV company these days, the 30+k 911s sold per annum don't exactly hurt the bottom line at all especially at their profit margins..
Old 01-27-2018 | 01:59 PM
fabe32
Instructor

Knowing that I have a 991.2 GT3RS "promised" in writing by my GM, it is going to be so awesome to stare at the beast in the garage and dreaming to drive it lol...
Old 01-27-2018 | 08:08 PM
disden
Drifting

Originally Posted by fabe32
Knowing that I have a 991.2 GT3RS "promised" in writing by my GM, it is going to be so awesome to stare at the beast in the garage and dreaming to drive it lol...
Me too, I get first dibs on all GT cars at my dealer, so I am hoping that enough are produced to go to non-918 folks. The big question will be what to trade in: my 991.1 RS which I absolutely love (by far my favorite that I have owned), or my 991.2 GT3 manual? funny, my wife asked me the other day if I really liked my new 991.2 GT3 because I never talk about it; she is quite smart- I haven't really come to love it yet. Need some driving time I think.
Old 01-28-2018 | 11:37 AM
Nick
Rennlist Member

It may have something to do with the car being manual. These cars are designed for PDK and while I understand the emotional attraction of manual after driving with manual reality sets in.
Old 01-28-2018 | 12:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

I am in the same boat. I like my GT3MT but not as much as my RS or TT for that matter. If I get a .2 RS allocation then I will trade in my .1 RS. I need to see the configuration of the .2 first though. I don't know what I will do with the GT3MT yet.
Old 01-28-2018 | 12:38 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nick
It may have something to do with the car being manual. These cars are designed for PDK and while I understand the emotional attraction of manual after driving with manual reality sets in.
This is such fallacy and you got sold by AP. When they wanted to sell people on PDK on the .1 they claimed that the PDK was essential for the engine. What did you want them to say??? They said what they had to in order to sell the Product. Now- with the .2- you do not hear that same language coming out of Porsche any more. The Manual in the .2 is incredible. They certainly made it for this engine. It is quick, precise an the Rev-matching is programmed perfectly. Also - you do not even have to let off the gas when changing gears on the Manual. I am betting that the times between the Manual and PDK are much closer than you think
Old 01-28-2018 | 01:37 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
This is such fallacy and you got sold by AP. When they wanted to sell people on PDK on the .1 they claimed that the PDK was essential for the engine. What did you want them to say??? They said what they had to in order to sell the Product. Now- with the .2- you do not hear that same language coming out of Porsche any more. The Manual in the .2 is incredible. They certainly made it for this engine. It is quick, precise an the Rev-matching is programmed perfectly. Also - you do not even have to let off the gas when changing gears on the Manual. I am betting that the times between the Manual and PDK are much closer than you think
Jimmy, depending on the skill of the MT driver, I agree times could be close. But don't you find it strange that all the elite performance car manufacturers do not offer MT? If MT maximized performance, they would continue to offer MT. It would be cheaper to manufacture and cut down on R&D. BY not doing so, they are saying "MT has its place....back in history."
Old 01-28-2018 | 03:09 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

There is no human being born as of yet who can shift faster than a PDK. You are absolutely correct that you'll not see in professional racing a manual transmission at least in this decade. The six speed manual transmission created by Porsche on the 911R is so delicious, by far the best, that it was handed down to the 991.2 GT3 and GT3 touring models, and who knows maybe some more Porsche models down the road. The manual transmission is all about fun and driver engagement. If milliseconds and seconds are important to you and you track a lot, then PDK is the only way to go. This is not to say you can't have fun with PDK as a daily driver, for I know the PDK on my 991 GT3RS is lightning quick.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by Nick
Jimmy, depending on the skill of the MT driver, I agree times could be close. But don't you find it strange that all the elite performance car manufacturers do not offer MT? If MT maximized performance, they would continue to offer MT. It would be cheaper to manufacture and cut down on R&D. BY not doing so, they are saying "MT has its place....back in history."
Old 01-28-2018 | 05:38 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

I agree Porsche was really marketeering the pdk in the 991.1 GT3 but look what sales have done and look how good the car was at the same time. I call that a win-win. I believe they were being cheap at the time in not fully developing and certifying both cars but I think they didn't believe there was a market demand to justify the cost. But that was 5 years ago now and a lot has changed. The increased demand for more "puristic" driving and less concern with ultimate track and 0-60 times is perfect for manual car demand. I find it funny that this almost seems like it was planned. Build limited R with manual, then comes huge demand for manual and sell said manual as no cost option (win-win).

Right now for NA the build split is almost up to 54% manual. Did anyone at Porsche expect that even with the pent-up demand?

I'll take a pdk RS and a manual GT3 touring please.
Old 01-28-2018 | 06:25 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Loess
The increased demand for more "puristic" driving and less concern with ultimate track and 0-60 times is perfect for manual car demand.
Demand was always there.

Did anyone at Porsche expect that even with the pent-up demand?
Rule #1: Know your customer. Combination of Porsche dropping the ball and trying to get out cheap by only building PDK. Positive is they did something about it as opposed to a lot of other car companies that just put their head in the sand. Kudos to them.
Old 01-28-2018 | 06:58 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nizer
Demand was always there.

Rule #1: Know your customer. Combination of Porsche dropping the ball and trying to get out cheap by only building PDK. Positive is they did something about it as opposed to a lot of other car companies that just put their head in the sand. Kudos to them.
I don't think Porsche was cheap when they moved away from manual transmissions, I think they decided to put all their money and resources in the development of the PDK which is still the best DCT on the market.

This happened at a time in which all manufacturers were shying away from MT.

They then realized that there is still a strong demand for MT but rather than following a theoretical approach they released a limited edition manual car, the 911R. This gave them the real world demand.

Porsche knew exactly what they were doing with the R.
Old 01-28-2018 | 07:24 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Yep ^ Room for both from here on out. They just need to decide on which cars get what. I have had both. Love them both equally for different reasons. I can go either way.
Old 01-28-2018 | 07:32 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

We all know there is a demand for manual cars but the question was is it an economically viable demand. Some people want yellow cars with red leather but I wouldn’t base my business on it. We know it’s viable now.

Does Porsche know its clients? They don’t seem to understand the Cayman. The GT4 had huge demand that they didn’t anticipate. Now they have the 718. Are they trying to sink it? Porsche sent out some surveys a while ago. The last one was mostly about marketing but they should do more product surveys.
Old 01-28-2018 | 07:41 PM
fxz
Race Car

From: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

We all know there is a demand for manual cars but the question was is it an economically viable demand. Some people want yellow cars with red leather but I wouldn’t base my business on it. We know it’s viable now.

Does Porsche know its clients? They don’t seem to understand the Cayman. The GT4 had huge demand that they didn’t anticipate. Now they have the 718. Are they trying to sink it? Porsche sent out some surveys a while ago. The last one was mostly about marketing but they should do more product surveys.
They should fire some sleeping managers time by time

it would wake up the others

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 RS