Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 06:33 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
A few more customer pics for the gents asking about our J Hook discs...first up our PCCB replacements on a stealth GT2RS:

This picture caught my attention, This GT2RS is running the stock brake system and your PCCB replacement discs on 19" wheels.
Just to confirm, your GT2RS PCCB replacement discs will fit the 19" wheels (I have the same wheels as these)..

I am also surprised the GT2RS Porsche PCCB calipers clear a 19" wheel. If anyone here could confirm, I will be all over these discs.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Thanks for catching this, Jean. I'd love to know about the whole set up. Wheel/specific tires/brake combination. I'm using Girodisc rotors with OEM calipers and Ferrodo DS3.12 pads now on stock sized HRE wheels, but this setup would be an excellent evolution.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Thanks for catching this, Jean. I'd love to know about the whole set up. Wheel/specific tires/brake combination. I'm using Girodisc rotors with OEM calipers and Ferrodo DS3.12 pads now on stock sized HRE wheels, but this setup would be an excellent evolution.
So much great info on this thread and pictures, it’s easy to miss it. But if we can fit these PCCB replacement discs on the stock GT2 system and 19” wheels on slicks it would be fantastic. Doing a full brake upgrade would void warranty.

These seem to be either OZ or Forgeline 19”.
I have them on the 991TT, 9” front and 12” rear ET 48 and 47 respectively. They’d fit a GT2, the front a bit inwards but not much. Pirellis I use are 315/705 rear and 275/675 front, same as these I think. So replacement discs would be a great way to fit the 19 wheels on the GT2.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:28 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

Gents,
I'll try to get the complete setup info from the owner. Thanks!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 07-11-2020, 10:51 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 301 Posts

FWIW I ran 19" Forgelines on my GT4 with PCCBs. The fronts had 2mm clearance.
Old 07-11-2020, 11:19 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Those are Forglines on the GT2RS above -- you can see the name on wheel.

2mm is really slicing it thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that little clearance.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:39 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by krell
Those are Forglines on the GT2RS above -- you can see the name on wheel.

2mm is really slicing it thin. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that little clearance.
2mm is a narrow window, but that is our recommended minimum clearance. We have lots of customers running with that type of clearance with no issues. That's about what I run on my Corvette track car. It's tight, but enough space. Thanks!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:42 AM
krell
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
2mm is a narrow window, but that is our recommended minimum clearance. We have lots of customers running with that type of clearance with no issues. That's about what I run on my Corvette track car. It's tight, but enough space. Thanks!
That's also Brembo's recommended clearance but it's not enough. I got crap stuck between the caliper and wheel barrel and carved a nice groove in the wheel and damaged the finish on the caliper.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:16 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

It is nice to note the Essex/AP Racing complete front and rear kit saves 27.1 lbs from the unsprung weight of the 991 GT cars when compared to the iron stock brakes. This is a pretty big weight savings for the performance gained of having a better brakes system.

I have the full front and rear kit on my 991.2 GT3 RS and I can't say enough good things about the kit on the car. It is amazing with great feel and feedback from the pedal. I still need to get a few more laps under my belt at my home track of Road Atlanta to get the best feel for the system but in the 20 laps or so that I do do have at the track I can say this has been one of the best upgrades on the car. The pad selection with the calipers is so much better than what is available with the stock calipers. If you are considering a brake kit for your car to save your PCCB or to maximize braking compared to the stock iron brakes I would definitely recommend the Essex/AP kit.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:31 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

First time bringing the RS out to Laguna last Saturday. Car is a beast. Beat my personal record (on an M3) second session in. Still have lots to learn to be able to drive it properly. Brakes were rock solid and super consistent.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:49 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

First time bringing the RS out to Laguna last Saturday. Car is a beast. Beat my personal record (on an M3) second session in. Still have lots to learn to be able to drive it properly. Brakes were rock solid and super consistent.
Thinker23 is online now Report Post

Nap, glad the Essex AP kits I sold you were up to your expectations. Looks like you got "fogged out"? THat is the real curse of Laga Seca, but if you wait long enough it usually burns off.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 07-22-2020, 07:33 PM
Thinker23
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Nah, the fog cleared up just in time. Was nice and cool in the morning.

Last edited by Thinker23; 07-22-2020 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:58 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
It is nice to note the Essex/AP Racing complete front and rear kit saves 27.1 lbs from the unsprung weight of the 991 GT cars when compared to the iron stock brakes. This is a pretty big weight savings for the performance gained of having a better brakes system.

I have the full front and rear kit on my 991.2 GT3 RS and I can't say enough good things about the kit on the car. It is amazing with great feel and feedback from the pedal. I still need to get a few more laps under my belt at my home track of Road Atlanta to get the best feel for the system but in the 20 laps or so that I do do have at the track I can say this has been one of the best upgrades on the car. The pad selection with the calipers is so much better than what is available with the stock calipers. If you are considering a brake kit for your car to save your PCCB or to maximize braking compared to the stock iron brakes I would definitely recommend the Essex/AP kit.
Thanks for the kind words Seth, and glad you're enjoying the brakes so much! It's always great to get positive feedback from pro drivers who have seen it all and have a broad basis for comparison. I believe the pic below is you catching some air under the brakes at Road Atlanta. Nice.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:03 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thinker23

I'm so glad the brakes performed as expected! The car looks great, and I'll bet it's quite a thrill at Laguna vs. the M3.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:19 AM
Junwei Wu
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,
Is there a brake pad for this kit which is suitable for track use (high speed track with a number of big braking events, e.g. ~150mph down to ~40mph), but which can be used on the street safely and without being completely anti-social in terms of brake squeal? I have PFC01s in my earlier car (in-between track days) and the noise was incredible - I winced whenever I had to brake to a halt. Pedestrians would glare at me and little children would cry. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!