Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 12:45 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When upgrading to a full kit like this, I get why upgrading the rotors makes sense, but what are the main benefits of changing to these callipers, and if it has the same or similar calliper piston size or pressure, how does it stop any quicker?

Given the same brake pads and rotor sizes, are the stopping distances from 124 to 60 mph shorter because of the stiffer callipers?

With onboard GPS data systems, why has nobody actually done a brake test, stock PCCB vs. Stock steel vs. your AP Radi-CAL kit, and compared stopping distances from various speeds?

Or is it more about longevity and consistency over 30min sessions?
Old 02-24-2020, 12:56 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 634 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06
When upgrading to a full kit like this, I get why upgrading the rotors makes sense, but what are the main benefits of changing to these callipers, and if it has the same or similar calliper piston size or pressure, how does it stop any quicker?

Given the same brake pads and rotor sizes, are the stopping distances from 124 to 60 mph shorter because of the stiffer callipers?

With onboard GPS data systems, why has nobody actually done a brake test, stock PCCB vs. Stock steel vs. your AP Radi-CAL kit, and compared stopping distances from various speeds?

Or is it more about longevity and consistency over 30min sessions?
You hit the nail on the head in your last sentence. Brakes don't stop the car. Tires stop the car. Brakes transform the kinetic energy of the spinning disc into heat, and aftermarket brake kits are about heat resistance, not stopping distances. If a brake kit is designed properly, stopping distances are going to be extremely close to what the OEM brakes will do. Stopping distances are traction-limited by the tires. The big difference in brake performance comes after repeated stops. If you run the factory system through a sequence of 10 stops from 100mph, the pad, disc, and fluid temperatures are going to be dramatically higher than what you see with our system. Our system runs cooler due to efficiencies built into the disc and caliper, and the components in our system are designed to last longer under track conditions than the OEM brake bits. What this all translates to is superior consistency under track conditions, and lower long-term running costs. You aren't constantly throwing spare pads and discs at the car, or rebuilding the calipers, worrying about chipped ceramic piston pucks, etc.

Our systems offer great repeatability, and feel identical on the first lap of the day as they do on the last. That's why many of our customers note a substantial drop in lap times. The pedal always feels the same, and their confidence increases significantly.

With our system, convenience is also a huge factor vs. the stock parts. You don't need to take the caliper off to change the pads...just loosen two hex bolts front, one in the rear. You don't have to worry about disconnecting the brake line every time you remove the caliper, or constantly tightening a caliper bolt into an expensive aluminum spindle. You also get to keep your OEM brakes fresh for when it's time to sell your car, and you won't dump money into a brake job just to hand the keys to the next owner. AND, you can pull our kit off the car and resell it on the used market for 60-70% of what you paid for it. The AP Racing parts are durable and hold great residual value, whereas the OEM brake components do not.

There is a rather long list of performance, durability, and convenience factors at play. That's where the value comes in. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks!
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

The following users liked this post:
thebishman (02-24-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:57 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

GMG recently built a stunning 3RS with a boatload of upgrades including our front and rear AP Radi-CAL brakes...had to share these photos. This one screams dream car to me!

Perimeter (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 275 Likes on 174 Posts

I wonder what wheel/tire size those are on that GT3 RS. Don't seem to have clearance issues and correct ride hights. Does the Radi-CAL make that possible?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I wonder what wheel/tire size those are on that GT3 RS. Don't seem to have clearance issues and correct ride hights. Does the Radi-CAL make that possible?
The wheels on this car are supplied by Forgeline, but you should probably check with GMG for specific sizing details. Our brake system fits completely inside the envelope of the OEM brakes, even though our system uses a larger front disc (ours is 394mm and OEM iron is 380mm). That allows for great wheel fitment. I believe we may even have a couple clients running 18" wheels! I know for sure forum member AlecG is running 18" BBS wheels.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:00 AM
AlecG
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for the confusion guys.

I "mis-spoke" when I said that I'm running 18" wheels. I am in fact running 19" BBS wheels/Hoosier R7's with no issues on my 2018 991.2 GT3.

Again, I apologize for the confusion. I don't believe 18" wheels would fit over this brake kit.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:13 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No worries Alec. Thanks for the clarification!

Regardless, our wheel fitment is about as good as it gets with our AP Racing brake package, since it sits fully inside the OEM brake envelope in all dimensions.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:01 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Recent customer installation on an RS...car looked so tasty I had to post!

Old 04-16-2020, 03:06 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Gents,

Over the past few weeks, we’ve had many candid conversations with our customers and industry friends. One repetitive theme we’ve noted is that everyone is looking for greater value and convenience right now. Some of us have found that we rather enjoy having groceries delivered to our home vs. scouring the store shelves, while others suffering the pandemic’s economic impact are stretching every dollar as far as possible. Regardless of what we’re seeking, we all seem to be demanding more than ever from those supplying us with goods and services.

While Essex has always been synonymous with value and service, we’ve decided to step up our game even further in support of our customers during this challenging period. For GT2/3/RS owners, we're offering a free set of Ferodo Racing Brake Pads and three bottles of AP Racing R2 Brake Fluid with any competition brake kit purchase ($1,000 value).

Our hope is that by putting ‘everything in the box,' we can add significant value to your return to the track, making it the most problem-free and enjoyable experience possible. To take advantage of these savings, please contact one of our sales associates today at 704-824-6030, M-Th, 8am-5pm. This offer is also valid through our extensive dealer network.

We'll be back out there playing with our toys before we know it, so please stay safe in the interim!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 04-16-2020 at 04:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
Seth Thomas (04-16-2020), thebishman (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM
GT3_Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts

PMed
Old 06-16-2020, 04:25 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I haven't updated in a while...thanks for the continued orders during these difficult times gents! A few more customer car pics...

yohoba (06-30-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 06:36 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Jeff,
Any plans for a full Radi-cal kit for he 997 GT3?
Old 06-16-2020, 06:49 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I have these brakes on my 720S and have been very happy with them. AP also makes the stock CC brakes for the 720.

Last edited by dmac; 06-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Protocav
Jeff,
Any plans for a full Radi-cal kit for he 997 GT3?
We've discussed creating a kit for the 997 GT3 on numerous occasions. We believe our standard front and rear system for the 997 would fit the GT3 with only an offset change to the front and rear disc hats.
Front 997 Radi-CAL Kit: https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...mm-997-981-718
Rear 997 Radi-CAL Kit: https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...cp9449-365-997

We unfortunately won't know for sure however until we get car, and that has proven challenging! As you know, production numbers on the 997 GT3 are considerably lower than on the 991 chassis. Every customer who has contacted us about a 997 GT3 kit has lived in California, Florida, Texas, or Europe. We haven't found a local car, or anyone willing to ship theirs to us. That is abnormal, because when I recently posted in the 718 GT4 section of the forum, I had four owners offer their car to us inside of 24 hours!

So, if anyone knows of a 997 GT3 that can find its way to Charlotte, NC, we'd be more than happy to measure it. Based on the data we have, it could be a very quick and easy development cycle, and the owner would walk away with a tremendous deal on the ultimate brake kit for their 997 GT3. Thanks!
yohoba (06-30-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dmac
I have these brakes on my 720S and have been very happy with them. AP also makes the stock CC brakes for the 720.
Thanks for the kind words, and glad you're enjoying them!

Quick Reply: New Product: Essex/AP Racing Front and Rear Complete Radi-CAL GT3 Brake Kit..finally!