Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra Film vs. Ceramic Coating

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Having said all that, I don’t mean to suggest that anyone is foolish to do all this stuff to their car, especially Matt who makes a decent part of his living from this kind of stuff and who also obviously derives a lot of pleasure from the process itself. What I’m getting at is that the reasons for doing it are more emotional for most real world car owners than financial/practical.

If anything, the most practical justification for full wrap is for folks who regularly track their high value cars and who want to keep them in a highly detailed state despite the rigors of track use that makes them far more prone to damage high-speed debris when driven to the limit on track.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Chicago Mike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
xpel is a clr flim, not a compound
ceramic, nano coating etc is a coating, greatly simplied, think of it as synthetic wax that last a long time.

flim protects paint from chip
coating does not
coating makes paint slippery so water, dust and contaminants doesnt stick as much

ideally you paint correct the paint
cover with film
then coat the film

this is excessive but that's the order to do it
+1
Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM
fastmd
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Having said all that, I don’t mean to suggest that anyone is foolish to do all this stuff to their car, especially Matt who makes a decent part of his living from this kind of stuff and who also obviously derives a lot of pleasure from the process itself. What I’m getting at is that the reasons for doing it are more emotional for most real world car owners than financial/practical.

If anything, the most practical justification for full wrap is for folks who regularly track their high value cars and who want to keep them in a highly detailed state despite the rigors of track use that makes them far more prone to damage high-speed debris when driven to the limit on track.
I fully agree with the value proposition. I change cars so often, you lose this money.

When you have hard to match paint colors or matte paint, you are better off wrapping. You can’t touch matte paint well.

However, I don’t care about the car being dirty. But I am **** about rock chips, drive me crazy. So I have all my cars paint corrected, wrapped, and then coated.

The coating does make it easier for cleaning.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:38 AM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
xpel is a clr flim, not a compound
ceramic, nano coating etc is a coating, greatly simplied, think of it as synthetic wax that last a long time.

flim protects paint from chip
coating does not
coating makes paint slippery so water, dust and contaminants doesnt stick as much

ideally you paint correct the paint
cover with film
then coat the film

this is excessive but that's the order to do it
+1
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 17bhub
+1
I've got mine done too, paint correction, self healing film and ceramic pro. Now it takes a few minutes washing and the car looks mint.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

I had Tim @ Adonis decontaminate the paint, lay XPEL, then Modesta:

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9265...o-coating.html

Depends on what bothers you and what you want.

I daily drive my GT4, so it gets use. Personally, when my car looks nice I feel better. The XPEL gives me peace of mind and the Modesta helps me keep it clean (I'm not the type to wax a car).
Old 10-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I wrote an article that identifies common sources of defects in modern paint as well as a run down of the protection and enhancement options available in order of least protection to the most. Many have expressed that this piece helped them with understanding the nuances of protection and paint care. Maybe it will help you?

What causes defects in modern paint and how you can protect yourself

Old 10-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

Anyway, didn’t make difference on resale.
That's the thing. Unless it's going to enhance your enjoyment of the vehicle, it's all money down the drain. A lot of guys think they're adding value to the car by "investing" in correction and wrap +/- coating, but in reality it's not money that you get back, especially if you trade in.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Craigy
That's the thing. Unless it's going to enhance your enjoyment of the vehicle, it's all money down the drain. A lot of guys think they're adding value to the car by "investing" in correction and wrap +/- coating, but in reality it's not money that you get back, especially if you trade in.
I tell my clients to get PPF, coatings, PC, etc. for themselves, not for ROI. While there are exceptions to that rule, for most new cars these services enhance your experience while owning the car. Does a new exhaust, expensive audio upgrade, tint or $20k wheels give a good ROI? Does a fine meal or bottle of wine give an ROI when it's consumed? It's the same. It's 100% about individuality, experience and in the case of protective solutions; peace of mind from the small stuff.

With that said, more private owners and even dealers are coming around to the real value of a car that has a wear and tear layer that can be easily replaced. More are paying premiums for cars that have been buttoned up and protected since new. Just a week ago a client with a 991 gt3rs texted me out of the blue to express how after 8,000 hard miles(with A LOT of track time) the dealership gave him top dollar and they noted the value the full body wrap had according to him. It was "like new".

The bottom line is that it isn't for everyone just like aftermarket wheels or aftermarket mods aren't. But for those who get a quality job and enjoy the peace of mind and eased care that comes along with it, the experience owning it is not possible otherwise. It's a matter of either one wants that or they don't.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:23 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
Do a lot of people think that though?

I 'invested' in my car looking awesome with less effort. When it comes to selling it I know it'll look its best but that's not why I got it protected.

I would say if you've got a very expensive car with a lot of carbon and/or complex paint then you'd kind of be an idiot not to because the cost of fixing a stone chip could be more than the protection.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I tell my clients to get PPF, coatings, PC, etc. for themselves, not for ROI. While there are exceptions to that rule, for most new cars these services enhance your experience while owning the car. Does a new exhaust, expensive audio upgrade, tint or $20k wheels give a good ROI? Does a fine meal or bottle of wine give an ROI when it's consumed? It's the same. It's 100% about individuality, experience and in the case of protective solutions; peace of mind.

The bottom line is that it isn't for everyone just like aftermarket wheels or aftermarket mods aren't. But for those who get a quality job and enjoy the peace of mind and eased care that comes along with it, the experience owning it is not possible otherwise. It's a matter of either one wants that or they don't.
Reality is I was quoted 3500 for paint correction on new car by you before any talk of ceramic or vinyl and you said the same thing “maybe this isn’t for you”.

This was a classic sales technique disclaimer, but I would have been into 7k realm with coating on PPF. A completely unrealistic price, catering to all OCD owners.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone in Atlanta this place does all the Porsche and Mclaren dealers films. David is fantastic and attention to detail incredible. Suntek film lays completely flat.

http://www.speedfilm.net/
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I think the real use case for full PPF with ceramic coating is for folks who feel strongly about wanting to have their car look show-car good most or all of the time, who frequently drive their cars on track and/or real world (that is, risk stone chips and get them dirty), and who, in the absence of the PPF and coating, would spend many many hours and/or much money frequently washing, detailing and waxing their cars to return them to show-ready condition (whether for their own peace of mind and/or to show their cars off at events, not that there’s anything at all the matter with either reason).

In that use case, full PPF and ceramic coating saves time and money and makes keeping your car in a highly detailed state (while also actually using the car) much easier.

If you, like me, don’t feel the need to have your car look like it’s ready for Concours D’Elegance all the time and would be satisfied with a basic safe touchless wash and dry, then it’s probably money better spent elsewhere, since as we’ve all learned, you won’t get this money back on resale or trade.

Having said all that, I think probably the biggest bang for the buck is partial PPF (without the expense of paint correction before or ceramic pro coating after) on a new car on the most rock chip prone surfaces, which usually costs around $2K-$2500 and which both protects those areas most prone to damage and also makes those areas easier to safely clean of dead bugs, etc. that tend to accumulate on them.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Reality is I was quoted 3500 for paint correction on new car by you before any talk of ceramic or vinyl and you said the same thing “maybe this isn’t for you”.

This was a classic sales technique disclaimer, but I would have been into 7k realm with coating on PPF. A completely unrealistic price, catering to all OCD owners.
While not very common, $3500 for just correction is not unheard of from us. We have gone over $7,000 for correction(though, it ended up consuming 130+ hours and from a business standpoint I should have passed lol) A $3500 correction price requires a few things though. A) an incredibly labor intensive project and B) an owner requesting 10/10(perfection). Because I do not give correction prices without seeing a car and consulting with a client about the vast differences in a 7/10, 8.5/10 and 10/10, 100% of the time it is the client's choice to go with the measure of work, and the cost is commensurate with the anticipated labor/expertise/risk. By the time a price is given I have educated my client and identified which of those measure of correction they are seeking....then the price comes based upon their request. And every single time I present a price for a requested 10/10 job I make sure my potential client understands the scope of a project like that and I almost try to scare them away from a 10/10 project due to what will be required to get the most out of it with their own on going care. I do not take requests for services like that lightly.

For those reading that may not know what goes into a $3500 paint correction job. It takes us 40+ actual hours of labor and skill intensive work(It does not afford me a lavish lifestyle at all). And the sad reality for me is that formal paint correction jobs, literally never, take less time than I anticipate and price out. And yet, I have never called a client and changed a price. Once it is bid we honor it. The last 2 examples of this have been in the last few weeks. A brand new Model S was supposed to take about 18 hours and it took us 30+. 2 weeks ago we delivered a brand new Mclaren that we thought would take -20 hours and it took us 60+. As with every estimate, we honored them and cut zero corners. Because I know no paint correction job ever "goes fast" or is easy on the body or mind I proudly stand by every quote and never budge.

I recognize all of this is not the right fit for every client but I do not curtly speak to someone with the words maybe this isn't for you. I respectfully let everyone know that our approach or a given service may not be the right fit for their immediate needs. This is not a sales technique, this is respect and the truth. It appears that we were not what you were looking for but I am sorry if I somehow offended you, Outlaw.

It is my goal to communicate candidly and respectfully with everyone. Outlaw, I do not know who you are based upon your user name so I can't speak of specifics on any estimate I may have given you. But these concepts are universal truths for me and my clients. We adore, respect and greatly appreciate our clients. And you are right in that I engineer my services to appeal and please the most OCD owners. With all due respect, why should I have to defend that? We offer ourselves to those who seek what we do and I don't press our services on anyone.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:12 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I tell my clients to get PPF, coatings, PC, etc. for themselves, not for ROI. While there are exceptions to that rule, for most new cars these services enhance your experience while owning the car. Does a new exhaust, expensive audio upgrade, tint or $20k wheels give a good ROI? Does a fine meal or bottle of wine give an ROI when it's consumed? It's the same. It's 100% about individuality, experience and in the case of protective solutions; peace of mind from the small stuff.

With that said, more private owners and even dealers are coming around to the real value of a car that has a wear and tear layer that can be easily replaced. More are paying premiums for cars that have been buttoned up and protected since new. Just a week ago a client with a 991 gt3rs texted me out of the blue to express how after 8,000 hard miles(with A LOT of track time) the dealership gave him top dollar and they noted the value the full body wrap had according to him. It was "like new".

Speaking of that RS owner with a lot of track time, but a still spotless car, what brand of wrap do you recommend for maximal protection from track work?

I had Xpel put on my 2015 GT3, but after one day at chuckwalla (lots of sand and small rocks), my rear stone guards (Porsche ones replaced by xpel), were toast, with 6 or 7 full thickness cuts through the xpel.

I know xpel is the favorite choice on rennlist, but I wasn't to impressed by that, and wonder about your thoughts on the best brand option of a wrap for protection from stone chips?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra Film vs. Ceramic Coating