Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:05 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I was thinking about maybe personalizing my car. Someone proposed to do some matte black accents to go with the matte black that is already on the car in stock trim:
- 4.0 letters in matte black
- center stripe on the frunk (with or without Porsche letters), roof and rear wing
- with or without left and right striping with Porsche letters ? Is this overdoing it, or does this nicely balance out the top stripes ?
(or I also like the checkered side stripes that vlog lady sophia calate has on her orange .1gt3)

I generally like those personalized touches on other people's cars, but not on my own because I get bored with them real fast.

What do you guys think. Leave it like it is, or personalize it ?
What are these top stripes thou speakest of?
Old 10-06-2017, 09:03 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I was thinking about maybe personalizing my car. Someone proposed to do some matte black accents to go with the matte black that is already on the car in stock trim:
- 4.0 letters in matte black
- center stripe on the frunk (with or without Porsche letters), roof and rear wing
- with or without left and right striping with Porsche letters ? Is this overdoing it, or does this nicely balance out the top stripes ?
(or I also like the checkered side stripes that vlog lady sophia calate has on her orange .1gt3)

I generally like those personalized touches on other people's cars, but not on my own because I get bored with them real fast.

What do you guys think. Leave it like it is, or personalize it ?
Have Nick and Anthony with NS2 do some renders for you. They did for me and others and really helps you visualize options
Old 10-06-2017, 09:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
What are these top stripes thou speakest of?
My brain translated something wrong. Not top stripes but center stripes :-)
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default thoughts after first trackday

Well, yesterday was my first trackday. Totally stock except xpell and modesta coating.

Everything positive still stands. But the doubts, the trust issues, the feeling of inconsistency that I wrote about before are all gone.
Right of the bat, even in my rookie hands, everything fell into place. The car is a beast, fast, dependable, controllable, predictable, an extension of your body. A joy to drive !

But it does need a track to shine, to do what it does best.

- Perceived lack of punch in the upper rev range ?
Forget about it, it just rips, and sings, and screams angrily, and makes the hairs on your body stand up. It needed a trackday to open up. Even afterwards driving home sedately on the public road, the engine felt more alive, more raw than before.

- Inconsistency of the backend / RWS ?
Haven't noticed it on track. It just felt natural, telepathic, albeit quite a bit sharper than my previous C2.

Tyres do seem difficult to manage though, they overheat so quickly. Magic windows seemed to be lap 3 in a session and then quickly it drops off, starting to slip and slide in the corners, loosing braking grip and become very nervous in the braking zone, leaving you with a 3 - 4 second per lap deficit (on a relatively short +/- 4 km lap with relatively slow top speeds little above 200 kph, but a lot of hard braking zones into relatively slow curves).
But I only got to register 1.5 sessions with the track precision app (which doesn't seem to work very well, intermittent video and telemetry dropouts) before my smartphone memory was full, so not enough data to really draw definite conclusions from.

In conclusion:
Not only does the car shine on track, even with my limited skills, it makes ME shine, makes ME enjoy. It's a ME car, a true drivers car.
The PSM allows for ample slip angles before intervening and I don't think it will even keep you from spinning out if you commit big driving errors.

I really look forward to more trackdays, so I can learn more about the car, about driving it and becoming a better driver with it.

But my god, you are not getting your money's worth if you don't track it.

YMMV
Old 10-13-2017, 10:06 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome to hear your report and glad you are getting the enjoyment GT3s are built for.

Recommend you purchase Harry's Lap Timer instead of the track precision app. It's way better and pretty much the standard now at all track events.

A little surprised by your report on the tires. I would have thought you'd need to put a lot of serious pain through them before they passed their temp window.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:11 AM
DIM4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you come in after warm-up to lower the tire pressure?
The things you describe are typically to much pressure in the tyres.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:15 AM
928cs
Race Car

Received 556 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by DIM4
+1
What were your tyres pressure when hot?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:29 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,018 Likes on 2,838 Posts

I agree. I drove 30 minutes or so of constant lapping and the tires only got stronger the harder and longer I drove (Leipzig). Sorry, I didn’t take note of the pressures...
Old 10-13-2017, 10:58 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I have already made up my mind to do one thing differently than I did w/ my .1 GT3 and that is to keep two sets of wheels. One set with Pilot Super Sports for daily driving and the other set for track w/ the Cup2s. I had a lot of issues w/ traction in the frequent S Florida rain w/ the Cup tires. The Super Sports may not be N rated but they are a much better choice for the street than the Cups which in my experience are not a good all around street tire.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:10 AM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I have already made up my mind to do one thing differently than I did w/ my .1 GT3 and that is to keep two sets of wheels. One set with Pilot Super Sports for daily driving and the other set for track w/ the Cup2s. I had a lot of issues w/ traction in the frequent S Florida rain w/ the Cup tires. The Super Sports may not be N rated but they are a much better choice for the street than the Cups which in my experience are not a good all around street tire.
I watched a youtube video a few weeks back where I'm sure AP specifically calls out that the new Cup 2s on the .2 handle better in wet/mixed conditions than the ones on the .1. I'll do a trawl and see if I can find it again..

EDIT - Found the video:
Old 10-13-2017, 11:11 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I do this with my GTS and would do the same with a GT3. Keep the order for stock wheels and put the money for black painted wheels towards a new set of Forgeline or HREs in black. Switching them back and fourth gives the car a new fresh look every now and again.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:58 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 971 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I do this with my GTS and would do the same with a GT3. Keep the order for stock wheels and put the money for black painted wheels towards a new set of Forgeline or HREs in black. Switching them back and fourth gives the car a new fresh look every now and again.
I recommend this to all my customers. It's always a good idea to have a backup set of wheels just in case.

Stocks for the street and HRE's or Forgelines for the Track (or vice-versa).

Especially when the HRE R101 Lightweights come in at a ridiculous 17.2 lbs and 20.3 lbs respectively.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-13-2017, 03:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Exactly what I thought reading that
Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there as well (with bccars's manual sister-car). The track (Zolder) is known to be heavy on the brakes and tires. It is definitely pressure related, as I experienced something similar. My issues were less noticeable as I was still dialling her in.

Great car, a lot sharper and edgier then my old GT4. Learning curve (for me) is higher than anticipated, but I look forward to it. Next Sunday probably a drive to the Nordschleife .. If I can get out of bed early enough.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Daggie
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo