Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:01 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,450 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by fskof
All of the magazines reviews claim that the 991.2 is louder but is it just the engine that is louder or also the tire/road noise in the cabin?
I would assume that everything would be magnified because AP stated they used less sound deadening in the .2
Old 09-30-2017, 10:10 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would assume that everything would be magnified because AP stated they used less sound deadening in the .2
If it’s anything like the R, there is considerable tire noise, an echo chamber effect in the car with the engine, and some mechanical noise, mostly the SMF. I have to say that a mid-engine car like the spyder definitely sounds more engaging, more close-up engine sound and less echo vs a 911 without sound deadening. I think getting at least a center section it not a full exhaust like Dundon or other would bring more of the awesome exhaust noise into the cabin.

I bet that 911 Speedster with this engine will sound amazing.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:20 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,838 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
+/- engine shrieks to 9000 rpm like it is going to launch itself into the stratosphere. But I'm not quite sure what to think of it though. Everyone is raving. But I don't get the "wow that's f*cking fast" at the top end. To me the torque is more impressive when you overtake than when you just rev it out. I don't know, it just seems to take a long time to get to 9000 rpm without really giving extra oooomph. Might be just my buttometer that's not calibrated well though ;-)
queue GT2 RS....
Old 09-30-2017, 11:47 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice review for those getting/contemplating a .2 GT3.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Stephandro
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to give us such a good insight to the car, sounds incredible. I'm still waiting for confirmation of my allocation so need to dream for the time being. Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 05:56 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+/- engine shrieks to 9000 rpm like it is going to launch itself into the stratosphere. But I'm not quite sure what to think of it though. Everyone is raving. But I don't get the "wow that's f*cking fast" at the top end. To me the torque is more impressive when you overtake than when you just rev it out. I don't know, it just seems to take a long time to get to 9000 rpm without really giving extra oooomph. Might be just my buttometer that's not calibrated well though
Interesting. The car is losing power after 8200rpm (and a good bit quicker after 8500 iirc) I suppose just that you still produce more power at the wheels revving further compared to changing up to the next gear.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 AM
NevB
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know, it just seems to take a long time to get to 9000 rpm without really giving extra oooomph. Might be just my buttometer that's not calibrated well though ;-)

source: http://fizz.news/content/porsche-911-gt3-brochure-2018

Torque tops out at 6000rpm so holding on till 9000rpm won't give any extra oooomph, but should put you back in the power band on gear change
Old 10-01-2017, 12:39 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars;14508629
Like previous, I disagree. Midrange is great imo. My initial feeling is it could use more topend rush, doesn't feel like it's revving freely enough, like it's holding back for some reason.

Without access to twisties or racetrack, you'll only use 25% of the car's capabilities. The in this forum so frowned upon base C2 is every bit as capable in the city and on the highway in traffic and daily driving conditions.

Just my subjective opinion, as always YMMV, and my opinion may even change over time ...

my p car mech is maybe too old but he says a 911 engine open at max rpms after 9/10k km
(if good care indeed...)

i find all these cars boring in dd in compare to any past one
my current M4comp to get some enjoment on dd i have to risk my driving license close to 100/124 mph

very effective on track, engineering is perfect,
but i don t get them anymore on streets (unless closed to traffic)
Old 10-01-2017, 12:55 PM
Kills Bugs Fast
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the review! Have 3-4 months to wait for mine! posts like this make it so much harder to wait!
Old 10-01-2017, 04:47 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by NevB

source: http://fizz.news/content/porsche-911-gt3-brochure-2018

Torque tops out at 6000rpm so holding on till 9000rpm won't give any extra oooomph, but should put you back in the power band on gear change
The oomph comes from the power so you can hold on to the top of the power band no problem. Power is directly related to torque * rpm so even if the torque is starting to drop the power can still go up if the rpms are going up.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:13 PM
porscheflat6
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 147 Posts

Thanks for sharing thoughts and reviewing.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:28 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Sucks to hear about the paint issues.. I don’t think this is on all cars, or maybe I’ve never paid close enough attention?
It's perfectly fine from a distance. But I wash my car by hand, wash, dry, quick wax. With that I look at every inch of my car up close in the sun, under TL light, so I notice A LOT of things other people just don't see ! Anyway, got everything sorted out at the detailer.

Originally Posted by Jono809
This might be due to the folding buckets as they tend to sit a bit higher than the comfort or one piece buckets from my experience in each seat.
It's not the height, it's the distance to the steering wheel.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
The oomph comes from the power so you can hold on to the top of the power band no problem. Power is directly related to torque * rpm so even if the torque is starting to drop the power can still go up if the rpms are going up.
I think I'll try to keep it between 6000 and 8250 when going on track.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:55 AM
DuckieRS
Instructor

- RWS still has some misteries for me, SEEMS inconsistent, but it's probably me needing even more time to adjust and get used to. I just can't get over that floaty feeling I somtimes get from the rear when I think it engages. Might be me misinterpreting things offcourse.
Gérald Wery mentions it in his review too (starts at 6:00): https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_auto-mobile?id=2261533
Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, call me crazy but if the GT3 did not have a manual option, I might be looking at a different car. Porsche is still the only marque that a manual is available. I don't track the car and I want a car that I can really feel engaged with the driving. I know the manual is decidedly slower but with no thoughts of tracking it, it's the most appealing.
If I was going to want a dual clutch, paddle shift then there are are a number of options. McClaren, Ferrari, etc. I love the 812 speedfast and the F12TDF. But no manual !

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3, thoughts at 5000 km on the odo