Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:24 PM
Nacelle
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
When my SA said to configure one and send him the code I picked a touring (and got excited for 3 minutes that I might actually be allowed to give them $152K for one...stripper build baby, which makes it even less likely Iā€™ll get an allocation haha). But the more I think about it the more I like the winged one.

It's a GT3...

Not because I like the wing. I kind of hate it by itself, and would NEVER spec it on a ā€œregularā€ 911 even if it was an option. But part of me says let a GT3 be a GT3.

It's a GT3...

I despise alcantara anywhere except as a headliner and the touring seems to have better interior options. But a white or silver one really pops and the wing just seems to belong.
It's a GT3...

Originally Posted by robmypro
It felt wrong not to wing.
It's a GT3...

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I didnā€™t put much thought into the decision, decided to just wing it.
It's a GT3....

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
Lots of GT3s with Wings. Not many without. Iā€™m still on the fence but leaning to wingless as I see it as a more unique model. Itā€™s discrete to the casual onlooker and the wife wonā€™t mind taking it out on date night. With a wing no date night.
It's a GT3...

Originally Posted by fibredog
I need the wing. Otherwise, I'd suffer from Wing envy. I see a lot of wingless 911's every day, and one thing I notice is that many of those drivers manually lift their rear spoiler when cruising at low speeds. They have wing envy. I think the car looks great in both forms, but the wing just adds that extra bit of special.
It's a GT3....

Originally Posted by Freddie81
Imagine an airplane without wings. That's how I felt when I heard the T package was coming on A GT3. Needless to say I chose the wing but to each their own and happy for everyone who gets to enjoy it. Wing or no wing.
Just like all these guys say, it's a GT3 for goodness sake... Wing it!

Last edited by Nacelle; 10-31-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: fixed it....
Old 11-01-2017, 07:58 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

I remember first seeing the 930 Turbo in the 70's as a kid...blew my mind seeing that super car with a big wing on the back...no other car looked like that!
Ever since then there has always been something exciting about a high-performance 911 with a wing.
993 Turbo is one of my favorite examples too.
A GT3 needs a wing...on the street it isn't about absolute performance given what all modern sports cars are capable of, it's about "attitude."
You put up with harsher ride, etc., because it is a track-focused car...and on the track the wing may just change the character of the car enough to notice.
With regards to the people mentioning they like the "walk softly but carry a big stick" of the Touring...really?...You are out there racing other cars on the streets showing them up with your "sleeper GT3?" How stupid is that?

Therefore the obvious answer is...wing!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:08 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 140 Posts

^Hahah Bravo!
Old 11-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

A wing is like wearing tight pants when packing a sizeable package. If you really need to flaunt it then ok. If you feel like you don't need too then wear loser fitting pants and drive a touring.

The moral of the comment being its a GT3, it is impressive and works all the same regardless, wing or no wing.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:19 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts
Default The new PDK vs MT discussion: wing vs no wing

Originally Posted by Nacelle
It's a GT3..

It's a GT3...

It's a GT3....

It's a GT3...

It's a GT3....

Just like all these guys say, it's a GT3 for goodness sake... Wing it!
"Wing it because it's a GT3" is one way to compensate....

Originally Posted by italiafan
I remember first seeing the 930 Turbo in the 70's as a kid...blew my mind seeing that super car with a big wing on the back...no other car looked like that!
Ever since then there has always been something exciting about a high-performance 911 with a wing.
993 Turbo is one of my favorite examples too.
A GT3 needs a wing...on the street it isn't about absolute performance given what all modern sports cars are capable of, it's about "attitude."
You put up with harsher ride, etc., because it is a track-focused car...and on the track the wing may just change the character of the car enough to notice.
With regards to the people mentioning they like the "walk softly but carry a big stick" of the Touring...really?...You are out there racing other cars on the streets showing them up with your "sleeper GT3?" How stupid is that?

Therefore the obvious answer is...wing!
To suggest "Walk softly and carry a big stick" translates directly to street racing is likely the stupidest stretch of logic yet...

Old 11-01-2017, 10:20 AM
thatoneforrest
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey i just joined this site and made a account. I need some help with my Porsche but do not know how to start a post. Can someone help I have to free membership
Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

no wing. Its enough of a poser car already on the street, why add to that with that silly scaffolding. No wing.

If you track it, different story.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
"Wing it because it's a GT3" is one way to compensate....

To suggest "Walk softly and carry a big stick" translates directly to street racing is likely the stupidest stretch of logic yet...

Feel free to define the phrase "walk softly and carry a big stick" then.

I think we all know perfectly well what that expression implies, and as such is in no way a "stupid stretch of logic."

Walk softly in a sportscar car implies: appears slow, not threatening, not racing, etc.
Carry a big stick in a sportcar implies: if pushed to action act swiftly and decisively...in other words "win the race convincingly."

From Wiki:
Big stick ideology, big stick diplomacy, or big stick policy refers to U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt’s foreign policy: "speak softly, and carry a big stick." Roosevelt described his style of foreign policy as "the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis."[1]

The idea of negotiating peacefully, simultaneously threatening with the "big stick", or the military, ties in heavily with the idea of Realpolitik, which implies a pursuit of political power that resembles Machiavellian ideals.[2] It is comparable to gunboat diplomacy, as used in international politics by imperial powers.

Back at you....
Old 11-01-2017, 01:52 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I would say the only thing people would say is damn I want that car.
+1
has happened hundreds of times actually

also 26 track days this year as well as DD both winged cars....🏁🏎
Old 11-01-2017, 01:53 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Feel free to define the phrase "walk softly and carry a big stick" then.

I think we all know perfectly well what that expression implies, and as such is in no way a "stupid stretch of logic."

Walk softly in a sportscar car implies: appears slow, not threatening, not racing, etc.
Carry a big stick in a sportcar implies: if pushed to action act swiftly and decisively...in other words "win the race convincingly."

From Wiki:
Big stick ideology, big stick diplomacy, or big stick policy refers to U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt’s foreign policy: "speak softly, and carry a big stick." Roosevelt described his style of foreign policy as "the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis."[1]

The idea of negotiating peacefully, simultaneously threatening with the "big stick", or the military, ties in heavily with the idea of Realpolitik, which implies a pursuit of political power that resembles Machiavellian ideals.[2] It is comparable to gunboat diplomacy, as used in international politics by imperial powers.

Back at you....
Wow.

Me thinks you assume far to much.

Can't debate points that make no sense, so will invoke the Mark Twain rule...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:03 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

I prefer the "walk softly, but carry a BIG stick"

Not fooling anyone!
Dude fu€k the GT3T.....you need one of these...^^^
Old 11-01-2017, 02:47 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kfmcmahon

Dude fu€k the GT3T.....you need one of these...^^^
LOL nah..

Already raced my own winged beasts over the past 10 years,

For me it's time for a welcome change...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:59 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Wow.

Me thinks you assume far to much.

Can't debate points that make no sense, so will invoke the Mark Twain rule...
Apparently you have a problem with comprehension then.
And there is no need for you to be so rude.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:02 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

LOL nah..

Already raced my own winged beasts over the past 10 years,

For me it's time for a welcome change...
yes!

I definitely need a Radical in my life (I would even settle for one of CJ's used GT4 ClubSports!)
Old 11-01-2017, 03:09 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Apparently you have a problem with comprehension then.
And there is no need for you to be so rude.
Kindergarden passive aggressive.

Considering it was started by your baseless assumption; "You are out there racing other cars on the streets showing them up with your "sleeper GT3?"

Then qualified it by saying, "How stupid is that?"

...and I'm being rude.

Quick Reply: To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.