Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 06:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
a GT3 must have wing.
i drive my cars.
i need a diaper changing table, a cheese and wine cutting board, a dining table for my american grease breakfast and if the girl is pretty i need a small bed ....

a GT3 with out wing... well....that's great too.
but you need to buy two GT3 then, a real one and a wingless one.

just a mad man's opinion of course

some one good with search pls find that famous pic i posted with my kid on the board.... erh.. wing
WELL SAID!!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 08:53 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

^^I'm getting no wing because I can then justify a RS because I also need a wing... obviously one doesn't share this strategy until sometime before the second gt3 turns up.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,090 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
^^I'm getting no wing because I can then justify a RS because I also need a wing... obviously one doesn't share this strategy until sometime before the second gt3 turns up.
You are copying my strategy

My plan is to get my GT3 Touring in January and then swap my GT3.2 for the GT3.2 RS for which I already have a reserved allocation at my dealer. I will then have the best of both worlds.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:05 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I'd want to make it differ from the gts that you already have.
So, adding a wing to the GTS makes it a GT3?

I'm definitely in the Touring camp, and if I thought the GTS was "close" to a GT3 (any model), I would have chosen that. How DID Porsche stuff all the extra HP and GT3 suspension bits inside the wing?

Maybe when Augmented Reality comes to fruition, I'll design an app that puts it back on when you're looking my way. lol
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

On Monday I did some back to back track time in a GTS (.2, PDK and rear ), Turbo ( .2 series) and GT3 RS. (.1 obviously).

I come away really impressed with how much fun the GTS was and thinking how I over look it all the time because its not a "GT" car... Felt lighter in the front end then my 997 gt3 but generated much more confidence through some notable corners I was familiar with.

The turbo. Felt heavy but obviously fast. Didn't feel any sense of achievement in a putting together a few consistent laps. Just a blah feeling. Hard to explain.

RS.. reminded again why I'm in the GT forum, although the GTS with a little more aero would be another proposition all together.

The real story for me personally was how blah the turbo was. I expected to be more impressed. Id get a GTS over a turbo any day as DD and/or touring.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:30 AM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

manny tranny is different from GTS to GT3. 6gears vs 7.
To have a GT car, I would get the wing.
Otherwise, why get a GT car? 8/10s a car with a manual GTS. just my opinion.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:12 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

I am asking myself the same question. I also have a.1 GTS and had started my builds with touring but damn that wing is looking better and better.

My thought was to fly under the radar but why? My GTS can do that right?

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 10-29-2017 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by NA430GTS
I am asking myself the same question. I also have a.1 GTS and had started my builds with touring but damn that wing is looking better and better.

I know not of this radar of which you speak ... exactly who are you trying to "fool" by deleting the wing and why do you care if you appear on their "radar"???

Ive never encountered any negative issues in regard to the presence of the wing on the last 4 GT3's Ive had
Old 10-29-2017, 05:48 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

I prefer the "walk softly, but carry a BIG stick" approach the Touring Package offers those of us that choose it.

There's no practical need for a wing IMO, especially if the car never/rarely sees the surface of a race track- unless you subscribe to the "Look at me, I'm a racer!!" visual approach.

Not fooling anyone!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:55 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I know not of this radar of which you speak ... exactly who are you trying to "fool" by deleting the wing and why do you care if you appear on their "radar"???

Ive never encountered any negative issues in regard to the presence of the wing on the last 4 GT3's Ive had
Actually this radar was created after a conversation WE HAD! It was a few years back. You prepared me for all the P haters in our area. Not specific to the wing though, to your credit.

Both are fantastic builds. Can’t really go wrong.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:57 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

No dog in the fight looks better with the wing.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:15 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Don’t worry about what anyone thinks or says.. get what feels exciting in your gut, that’s all that matters.

My only question is, if they included those massive scoops on the wing, presumably because the engine needed them.. how do they explain the touring without them? Is it ALL for show? I would have expected the Touring to come with scoops if they were that indispensable.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:16 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Maverick787
No dog in the fight looks better with the wing.
I tend to agree from a looks perspective. Some comments have noted the .1 was harsher on the road compared to the .2. Leads me to believe I would drive it more for regular outings if that’s the case. I don’t want to feel odd for taking a winged race car out to go for a quick errand. Don’t think I would feel that way with the touring. But that’s on me and what’s happening in my head. Lots of people in my area that are all about electric which doesn’t help reduce that odd feeling.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:22 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Don’t worry about what anyone thinks or says.. get what feels exciting in your gut, that’s all that matters.

My only question is, if they included those massive scoops on the wing, presumably because the engine needed them.. how do they explain the touring without them? Is it ALL for show? I would have expected the Touring to come with scoops if they were that indispensable.
The scoops were created to add a little more menace to the car but does allow air to flow directly in to engine. The could of came up with a different design like on .1

The Touring has the open net mesh grill, sort of, that does the same thing
Old 10-29-2017, 06:29 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I tend to agree from a looks perspective. Some comments have noted the .1 was harsher on the road compared to the .2. Leads me to believe I would drive it more for regular outings if that’s the case. I don’t want to feel odd for taking a winged race car out to go for a quick errand. Don’t think I would feel that way with the touring. But that’s on me and what’s happening in my head. Lots of people in my area that are all about electric which doesn’t help reduce that odd feeling.
I would say the only thing people would say is damn I want that car.

Quick Reply: To Wing or Not to Wing, That is the Question.