Sponsored by:

Car and Driver Lighting Lap, Turbo S beats GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:51 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Car and Driver Lighting Lap, Turbo S beats GT3 RS

Not sure if you guys have seen the latest Car and Driver, Lightning Lap.

Will be interesting to see what the new GT3.2 is able to do.

Pretty impressive to see the Turbo S, on Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's, dethrone the mighty GT3-RS on Michelin Cup 2's at VIR.

Hope the new GT3.2 tires are similar in 'stickyness' to the Mercedes GTR/Corvette Z06!

Zl1/1LE & Grand Sport corvette... seem like best bangs for the buck for track use. GT350R more than 5 seconds back.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2017, 11:58 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

The 718 S seems to have done pretty good even with a 4-cyl
Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 AM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

As a Camaro owner and multiple Porsche owner, I was NOT happy to see the ZL1 1LE beat the Turbo S.

Porsche needs to step up it's game.....192K vs 83K. Wow....
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 AM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce
As a Camaro owner and multiple Porsche owner, I was NOT happy to see the ZL1 1LE beat the Turbo S.

I attribute this to just the Tires... Turbo S, is still on a Street tire.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-13-2017, 02:19 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

I disagree actually. Nothing impressive really. Few important details.

1. VIR is a HP track. Huge straights means a lot of lap time can be derived from HP.
2. The Pirelli Corsas on the S are a full track-day tire, 80 AA A treadwear rating, they are stickier than the "old" Cup-2's on the RS. Same Corsa tire that made the GTS blistering fast. Put these same tires, or new Cup2 on RS, and the RS is faster.
3. Every car on the list faster than the RS, besides the Viper ACR, is turdbro'd, and all of them have a lot more power than the RS. Many have more aero, or active aero. RS is still, IMO, the most impressive of the bunch, along with the Grandsport.
4. Camaro is a beast, but it's also their "RS", and it has 650hp....and crazy amounts of aero. Porsche built a car in that segment, it's called a GT2RS, and it will be faster than everything on that list. Everything.

So if people want to compare a Porsche to a ZL1 ILE, or Z06/ZR1, or MB GT-R, or ACR, they need to compare the inbound GT2RS, as that is what is made to compete in that segment.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:54 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Catorce

$73,000
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2017, 02:56 AM
Billy Wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez

1. VIR is a HP track. Huge straights means a lot of lap time can be derived from HP.
2. The Pirelli Corsas on the S are a full track-day tire, 80 AA A treadwear rating, they are stickier than the "old" Cup-2's on the RS. Same Corsa tire that made the GTS blistering fast. Put these same tires, or new Cup2 on RS, and the RS is faster.
3. Every car on the list faster than the RS, besides the Viper ACR, is turdbro'd, and all of them have a lot more power than the RS. Many have more aero, or active aero. RS is still, IMO, the most impressive of the bunch, along with the Grandsport.
4. Camaro is a beast, but it's also their "RS", and it has 650hp....and crazy amounts of aero. Porsche built a car in that segment, it's called a GT2RS, and it will be faster than everything on that list. Everything.

So if people want to compare a Porsche to a ZL1 ILE, or Z06/ZR1, or MB GT-R, or ACR, they need to compare the inbound GT2RS, as that is what is made to compete in that segment.
For $300k it better beat them.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:32 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Mvez

First, you guys are taking it way too seriously for what it is. The drives were done by different drivers of different skill, and a least this time some were done on a slightly damp track, according to the videos, which may have influenced the times. So it's definitely not an accurate relative measure of relative speed of cars.

Also, 991.2 Turbo S is faster than 991.1 GT3 RS on same tires without a doubt. Just as an example, driving Spa first time ever in a Turbo S just out of showroom (no alignment, street pads, no bucket seat even) and on crappy P-zero tires, not corsas, and in damp weather, I was only ~3 seconds slower than a pro in a non-modified RS on MPSC2. That's only just over a second per minute. It was all car - I was pussyfooting and stumbling my way around that track - it's a long and complex track to master in a day. It also happened to be as fast as TRAKCAR in his RS with MPSC2, and he's typically a faster driver than I am. So Turbo S on inferior tires with a slower driver and on a damp track roughly matches RS with a better driver and better tires in the dry.

No need to get upset though - I'd rather track the RS anyway and I'm not pulling any of my .2 RS deposits over this.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 AM
RobbieRob
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Not surprising.

Last edited by RobbieRob; 09-14-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:10 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums

Pretty impressive to see the Turbo S, on Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's, dethrone the mighty GT3-RS on Michelin Cup 2's at VIR.

I am not making an argument but this Turbo S is the .2 I believe and the GT3 RS is the .1

I think a more fair comparison would be GT3 RS.2 vs Turbo S .2

Also, isn't the GT3 RS.1 and GT3.2 faster than the Turbo S.2 on the ring or did they not test the Turbo S.2 on the ring.

Your point is still valid. I am just adding a few more points to it.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:53 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

what a time to be a car fanatic. If only my income could keep up with all of these amazing vehicles. I'm not a Chevy guy, cut my mullet off years ago, but damn I want that ZL1 1LE. Amazing.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 79 Posts

Apples and oranges. Nice to compare for interest sake but cant be considered a definite conclusion. To many variables outside of the car itself, weather, driver, day temp etc. But still, its indicative.
The gt2Rs will be interesting to say the least.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

If anything it shows that not matter how "soft" the Turbo S is, it's a bloody fast car.

Honestly with AWD I wouldn't be surprised that most of us could turn faster lap times in a Turbo S because it's probably easier to drive than any GT car. It may not be as engaging (kinda like the Nissan GTR) but it should be taken seriously.

The Camaro has to be the best bang for your buck of all time. It's ugly as hell, but holy **** it's fast. It would be fun to crush some exotics at the local track in that thing.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

Old 09-13-2017, 10:15 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Lighting Lap, Turbo S beats GT3 RS