Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual or PDK opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:55 AM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

I understand the fun associated with the MT but from a performance perspective ALL the other supercars have a trans similar to the PDK. Why do you guys think the rest of the competitive players dropped the MT. Is there a HP limit on MT's and have money shifts scared mfg and drivers.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I understand the fun associated with the MT but from a performance perspective ALL the other supercars have a trans similar to the PDK. Why do you guys think the rest of the competitive players dropped the MT. Is there a HP limit on MT's and have money shifts scared mfg and drivers.
It allows anybody and everybody to enjoy high HP without having to learn how to work a MT properly. Think vette vs viper..
Definitely helps those latte lovers..
Old 09-01-2017, 10:06 AM
spydersmiley
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=white6speed;14449485] [...] ALL the other supercars have a trans similar to the PDK. [...] QUOTE]

Correct. Except for the Corvette Z06, I am not aware of a similarly positioned car that still has an MT. I would even bet that the new GT3RS will be PDK only. So, this GT3 might be the last high performance car ever which is offered with MT. Don't get me wrong - I am also back and forth between PDK and MT, but with a consistent slight preference for the MT.

Best
Tobias
Old 09-01-2017, 10:30 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a very good question and I wonder if it is a HP limitation. There are modified 1,100 HP turbos with MT, so it seems there is more than enough room to keep them going. As far as the money shift, once the car is sold, what does the manufacturer card? I would think Ferrari of all the manufacturers would embrace MT to maintain that piece of their heritage.

This article claims:

1) Newer buyers want auto shift boxes because they know they are much faster and they don't know how to drive a manual (my interpretation)

2) Auto shifters have lower emissions and get better mileage.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2016-06-17/why-can-t-you-get-your-300-000-supercar-with-a-stick-shift
Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,151 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by DoninDen

A definite benefit of the PDK, as already mentioned, is its speed. But also, if the console can be managed successfully the relative ease in which a hummer may be received.
I sadly never thought about this when placing my manual order. A very valid observation. It's too late to change my order, already locked. oh wait, my RS is PDK! Oh wait, those damn buckets would not help. So it would seem if this is your goal by ordering the GT3, then PDK and sofas are ideal.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:01 AM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by AZFlat6
To the original question posed:

1. Daily driver in city traffic - PDK
2. Getting paid to turn the quickest lap time - PDK
3. Driver involvement at track - Manual
4. Weekend sports car experience - Manual
5. Respect - Manual
6. Future collectibility - Manual

Just remember, when the BMW SMG, Ferrari F1, Lambo E-gear, and Porsche Tiptronic were all released, everyone HAD to have them. Now, both resale value and desirability is better on a 6-speed manual car versus modified automatic in every single case. (And yes, automatic gearbox technology will continue to improve over the current gen PDK).

Many of my friends prefer PDK, and that's totally fine. To each their own, and it's their money. On a track, PDK really is awesome to drive, and you WILL cut a better time in a PDK car, without question. However, there isn't even an argument that can be made for driver involvement, required multi-tasking skill (and the subsequent reward), and future resale value for a manual transmission-equipped car.
I don't think your argument on resale value is correct. Look at the numbers in these examples which you pointed to:
BMW M5: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...20144&zc=75034
F430: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28881&zc=75034
Gallardo: https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...29632&zc=75034

As you can see, there is no difference in pricing between auto and manual, and I would go one step further to say the autos have a slight advantage.

It would be naive to think this is the last GT car Porsche will make with a manual, too. At the end of the day, get what makes you happier, not for resale.

I would also not buy a certain tranny to gain 'respect'? Respect from whom and why do you care?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

obvious answer is one of each

Old 09-03-2017, 06:12 PM
Raghu
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Manual or PDK?

Originally Posted by abiazis
Using the car I have ordered for both track - once a month - and couple days a week as driver.

Comparing PDK to manual, which I haven't driven...obvious pros and cons and I don't mind the manual in traffic.......

Not that you buy this car for this, but will depreciation over the years be less with manual......or does it depend on future offerings with GT3? Most people I speak to, say in reality after the hype of the new car, the rate will be the same....

Also, will 997 GT3 regular model that has held or appreciates now start to depreciate now that manual is available in 991.2...?
I have a 991.1 RS and a 981 Boxster Spyder. I have driven the RS 4175 miles since March of 2016 (When I bought it) and I have driven the Spyder 5750 miles since March, 2017 (I bought it with 1400 miles on it). For DD and for around town driving I always pick up the keys for the Spyder. When I want to drive the car really fast and take it to the track I always reach for the RS. This is the reason I have more miles on the Spyder in a fraction of the time that I have had it compared to the RS. There are so many things to think of on the track for an amateur (I hold an SCCA racing license) like me who drives infrequently on the track that the last thing I want to do is pick a wrong gear and reach the redline without intending to. I would rather not blow up my transmission on the track. Since I have a V200 for a CR MT 991.2 GT3 build in December 2017, I intend to drive it on the street and keep the .1 RS for the track until the .2 RS comes out and I will then build one with PDK as well so I have a really fast car that reaches its intended speed on the track while I continue to drive the MT .2 GT3 on the street.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:33 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 109 Posts

No one seems to talk much about the PDK's capabilities to in effect shift like a MT with a level of safety the MT may not have. Does the newness of the MT drive interest as there are lots of GT3s 14, 15, 16 including the RS that seem to get high marks as a great drivers car.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

No one seems to talk much about the PDK's capabilities to in effect shift like a MT with a level of safety the MT may not have.
As much as the PDK can try to emulate a manual (by flicking an electronic toggle switch without a clutch), don't forget that the Manual offers significant advantages of PDK with the Auto Rev-Match function (which can be turned on or off).
Old 09-04-2017, 06:29 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

"Modern" car engines are not only getting ever more powerful they are developing ever broader torque curves.

This combination is less forgiving on conventional manual gearboxes particularly if used in a performance context.

This does not make PDK better than manual, it just makes it more sensible for those that track their cars regularly (and sit in traffic regularly).

PDK is about longevity and reliability in this situation. Yes you can cut marginally quicker laps as well - however, fluff the line through just one corner and it will be back to being neck and neck with the manual.

Bottom line is as its always been, choose whats best for you, your particular needs and driving style.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:23 AM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by frosty911
Please don't flame me...but I am pretty sure I remember reading that the the manual 7 speed transmission would lock out a gear you are trying to shift into if it would overrev the engine. For example downshifting from 4th to first instead of 4th to 3rd by error. I don't remember if it was the porsche seven speed manual or the corvette's 7 speed manual but I pretty positive I read that. So does anybody know if the 6 speed manual in the upcoming gt3.2 would have such a feature that would negate the fear of money shifthing?
Originally Posted by GrantG
No, there is no lock-out safety feature. Fortunately, it's a wonderful shifter with very well defined gates.
Frosty, I had a manual 991.2 Targa4S and the only lock out was during trying to go from 4th gear to 5th, it would lock you out if you inadvertently headed towards 7th. That made a lot of sense as 7 gears are VERY crowded and most manual drivers have muscle memory that took their hands furthest to the right when going to 5th, I think.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Grant, I looked at your referenced comparison and noticed that this one time you may have made an error.

The Hockenheim lap list shows...

The 991 GT3 (pdk) is #12th fastest time at 1:07.90
vs
The 991 R (manual) is #35th at 1.09.10

The PDK GT3 faster at this track. Of course, as you point out it's not apples to apples, and who knows what tires they are running?

I say PDK is substantially faster and you say only slightly faster.

But, we both agree PDK is faster.

I am willing to concede that it depends on the circuit.

Matt, matt, matt. You're a good guy, but you are so absolutely, unequivocally wrong here. I don't think you are understanding how enormous of a difference 3 seconds is. It's an absolute massacre.

The difference between the 2 transmissions is marginal. I get sadistic joy out of proving people wrong, which is why I'm going with a manual GT3. I'm going to set times at all the norcal tracks, and we're going to see how many PDK drivers can meet or beat it. Prediction: even if the driver is known to be faster than me, it will be less than a second.

In the meantime, let's play a game. Here is a graph of speed data from a track in norcal 3 years ago. Same exact car (boxster spyder). Same tires. Same day, so identical conditions. One is a manual and one is a PDK. The section shown covers 1.6 miles and 1 minute 6 seconds. The time differential between the 2 cars in the graph shown is 0.1 seconds. Can you tell me which color is PDK and which one is manual? It should be easy to spot if the difference is as big as you say.

Name:  OOv8Os9.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  100.9 KB

If you need a little help with reference, this is what a 3 second difference looks like on an entire track. I'll bet you can pick the faster car out easily on this one. Can you tell me what the difference is between these 2 cars?

Name:  n41zaYb.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  217.8 KB

Last edited by orthojoe; 09-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:19 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Orthojoe the driving is different is the top pane e.g look at the blue trace in the vicinity of the 2nd red triangle - clearly off the gas relative to the red trace.

The answer is close to .5 seconds over a minute to minute thirty. The whole point of PDK is performance consistency and performance longevity/reliability. Two hands on the wheel at all times on track is also a benefit.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:24 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Orthojoe the driving is different is the top pane e.g look at the blue trace in the vicinity of the 2nd red triangle - clearly off the gas relative to the red trace.

The answer is close to .5 seconds over a minute to minute thirty. The whole point of PDK is performance consistency and performance longevity/reliability. Two hands on the wheel at all times on track is also a benefit.

So which is pdk? Blue or red? You have 2 other long straights to eval where one guy didn't have to lift for traffic .

0.5 seconds over 1-1:30 is too generous.

Quick Reply: Manual or PDK opinion