Sponsored by:

Manual or PDK opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 04:22 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 275 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
they will say that the GT3 on the road can get boring because it's so capable.. its very hard to wring out on the road. Having a manual gives you more opportunity again, to engage with it. My personal experience isn't precise, but close enough. Drove RS on track then had it for a week or so as a daily.. it became somewhat frustrating, I always felt like I was putzing around on road. But then having same experience (about 4-5 months later I admit) driving the R, it was fun everywhere... all the time. That fun everywhere experience was repeated with my manual Spyder, and is the reason I went manual GT3. I want to enjoy it or engage with it always, and the manual adds that level for me.
I think your experience makes sense in that it is almost impossible (and illegal) to wring out the GT3 on a public road, therefore the manual offers more engagement at all speeds. I do recall that I enjoyed shifting my Carrera regardless of RPM or speed, except for in SoCal traffic!

That Maserati video is nuts - nuts of steel.

You just sent me back to the drawing board...
Old 09-19-2017, 05:08 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

One last thought, and this is a complete assumption on my part. On the gt4 and spyder, it's relatively easy to reach redline, the engine isn't blazingly fast revving, and redline is reached just as lazily, especially with the stock engine. I noticed that with full fabspeed package, getting to redline was much more satisfying.. there was reward to be had at the end. However, I wonder if with new GT3 motor with its lighter valavetrain and eagerness to climb, if the challenge of reaching redline doesn't become all that more rewarding. The fear of overrevving, that insane sound.. light internals.. all might make one shortshift normally. Now, I wonder if in sporty driving, that need to watch redline while shifting manually won't make the fun and challenge even more rewarding.. vs a pdk which has a set it and forget it mode? I don't know.. decision for me is 10 to 1 in favor of manual.. at least that one was easy for me.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Manual if I lived near nice driving roads. I drove the manual 991.1RS and I automatically blipped on upshifts as soon as we started going, just so much fun and such good noises!!

But OK, here is South Florida when I drive the RS its usually in caddy mode, I'm texting, calling on blue tooth, having a coffee and mindlessly following the Sat Nav arrow on the screen while listening to XM radio...

Than there is cost.
With this much weight, grip and HP its a lot for the clutch and the last 997.2 4.0 clutch didn't do so well. Only $2500 + labor but still I used up a few. Then there is the Motorsport diff and the potential for a money shift.. PDK breaks Porsche gives you a new one.

On the track I like it better, more relaxed, maybe I'm getting old and lazy but I like playing F1 driver with the flappies and not squirming when I don't perfect the heel n toe with a rushed downshift..

So PDK for me.
When I want an exciting ride I take the 6.9 without ABS out in the rain to dodge Haitians.

If I move near the Tail of the Dragon or CA, I'm getting a manual GT3 and a 964 stat..
Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 55 Posts

Looking forward to the challenge of this engine with a manual. I drove last night down the highway, windows down, searching for that magical 8500 - 9000 rpm band. its intoxicating. On the track, I couldn't imagine any other gearbox paired to this engine. It just works so well at 10/10s. HOWEVER. 99% of my driving is not done at 10/10s. There is a happy place heading towards 10/10s but rarely do you get there on a public road. And for me thats the magic of the manual. I know the PDK is quicker in the straight line, I know the PDK lets me focus on hitting my perfect points on the track. But for me this is a really fun street car that I occasionally track and I'm looking forward to the play and challenge of a manual.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:23 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

I've been telling you guys for years!! I could've saved you hundreds of thousands of dollars in the process! Ok,I'll stop here before I start sounding like an insurance commercial...
Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Remember that often quoted line about PDK having a one car-length advantage with each upshift? At some point it was revised to one half a car length per upshift.

Well, now AP has revised it to between one quarter and one third car length. Can't wait for next year

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#39cd43721a8c (Note: there is a second page also - click to continue at bottom)

BTW, in AP's example where a driver upshifts 3 times on a straight - this is never going to happen for me in the US. Very few US tracks require 5th gear in the new GT3. At my local track, the GT3 will be in 4th and only once (not enough for a pass by a PDK car even with his generous description that leaves out the weight savings and greater power efficiency of the Manual)...

Last edited by GrantG; 09-21-2017 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual or PDK opinion