Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
I have huge respect for the Dundon team and I don't think they deserve any criticism. Jamie is a fellow GT3 owner and was among the first to provide details about the finger follower wear issue. He participated in discussions with the COG and was extremely helpful in helping us prepare for our meeting. His presentation at the Smokies Event was extremely informative, and I don't think his solution is off base. It was just a different approach, as Porsche was able to develop a solution based on current engine architecture. When we asked Dr. Walliser about the solid lash lifters in the .2 he said the new car is always better than the last one. In addition, Jamie never said that Porsche would not stand behind the issue. He simply presented his solution.
Dundon's Smokies GT presentation was educational, yes. I appreciated it at the time. But it left me (and others I presume) with an exaggerated sense of doom and gloom that was, ultimately a sales pitch for Dundon's engine monitoring solution, which we now know is ultimately unwarranted, at least for RS's and R's.

I don't think Jamie was misrepresenting his view of the facts, and I think he sincerely believed everything he said. It's just that ultimately, they assumed the only cause of the premature wear was due to the design/architecture and hadn't considered the possibility of a flaw in the manufacture and metallurgy of SOME the finger followers themselves. I remember him saying that DLC coated is better but that it's not a solution and the DLC coating will prematurely wear too because of a fundamental design flaw of the top end of the engine.

As engineers, I think they have a duty to explore all reasonably plausible causes before jumping tonconclusion such as they did, conclusions that not only have the effect of allowing them to promote a product, but more worrying, conclusions that they broadcast to the world that likely contributed to the drop in market values 991.1 GT3's and the actions of some 991.1 GT3 owners who may have sold prematurely to unload what they were lead to believe was an unfixable engine, and those who sold lost money because of it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:33 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Well said Dave and Sean. Jamie and Dundon were trying to help us find a solution when we weren't sure anyone else would.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I think drop in market values are a natural occurrence with new models coming out. I don't believe you'll see values of .1 GT3's shoot up. It's not like they've taken a huge nose dive as is.

cars.com has 141 for sale. Check back in a month and see how that's changed. It's at an all-time high now.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:34 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,545 Likes on 5,067 Posts

I think at a time like this, it is better just to focus on and accentuate (at least publicly) the positive.

And to avoid, if possible, throwing salt at those who are, to put it diplomatically, a bit wounded.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:37 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 150 Posts

Macca and COG fellas - great efforts and results. This is huge.

Thanks also to to Porsche for solving the issue and backing the product.

Old 08-08-2017, 12:38 AM
fabe32
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, amazing outcome.
Big thanks to COG, Porsche and Macca.
STG
Race Director

So Dundon was making an effort to figure this out. Why diss them? Who else was other than Porsche and they weren't talking until ....

Porsche probably had ZERO interest in offering an extended warranty until an action group (COG) was formed and made them act.

The documented Macca and Dundon homework played a big part in helping publicize the issue. Have to give credit where it's due.
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I think at a time like this, it is better just to focus on and accentuate (at least publicly) the positive.

And to avoid, if possible, throwing salt at those who are, to put it diplomatically, a bit wounded.
Positive vibes! It was the mantra of the COG from day one!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:39 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Lodi
I have huge respect for the Dundon team and I don't think they deserve any criticism. Jamie is a fellow GT3 owner and was among the first to provide details about the finger follower wear issue. He participated in discussions with the COG and was extremely helpful in helping us prepare for our meeting. His presentation at the Smokies Event was extremely informative, and I don't think his solution is off base. It was just a different approach, as Porsche was able to develop a solution based on current engine architecture. When we asked Dr. Walliser about the solid lash lifters in the .2 he said the new car is always better than the last one. In addition, Jamie never said that Porsche would not stand behind the issue. He simply presented his solution.
Originally Posted by sgroer
Agree 100 pct!! Had a long chat with Jamie today and they are taking all of this in stride. They are fabulous engineers, great people and have done a lot to help push smokies further with their contributions and sponsorships. They were also invaluable in providing the COG with technical insight as we prepared for the big day.

The whole team at Dundon is top shelf.
Agree 100%! Jamie and Dundon are good, super talented people, so let's not turn this into a negative for those guys. They have been huge supporters here. I see a place for their solution on the performance side. Carmen got RS cams put into his GT3, and he said it woke the car right up. So a performance solution with improved followers seems strong to me, especially given Dundon's reputation for high quality work.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:42 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Agree 100%! Jamie and Dundon are good, super talented people, so let's not turn this into a negative for those guys. They have been huge supporters here. I see a place for their solution on the performance side. Carmen got RS cams put into his GT3, and he said it woke the car right up. So a performance solution with improved followers seems strong to me, especially given Dundon's reputation for high quality work.
sorry for being the least bit negative. I'm happy with the result today, and thanks to Dundon for their efforts to understand this and their contributions to the concerned owners group that achieved the happy result today.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:42 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
So Dundon was making an effort to figure this out. Why diss them? Who else was other than Porsche and they weren't talking until ....

Porsche probably had ZERO interest in offering an extended warranty until an action group (COG) was formed and made them act.

The documented Macca and Dundon homework played a big part in helping publicize the issue. Have to give credit where it's due.
Yep - without Dundon and Macca Who knows where we'd be right now.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 AM
robmypro
Race Director

I bet the guys from Porsche were surprised to see the title slide of our presentation.

Driving Passion & Exhilaration? Hey Frank, are we in the right conference room?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 AM
robmypro
Race Director

+1000!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 AM
STG
Race Director

I know where you'd be, still concerned!!

BTW. Thanks for stepping up and representing the group.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:46 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,632 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

This!!

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement