991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Manifold and Just in time - i would love to say that you both are right but my friend got the CEL in his 2014 at 22,000 miles, this means it took a while to happen.

The point now isn't when or if it happens the point is a new engine will be provided and that new engine should be safe from the issue
Maybe it depends on the extent and locations of the inclusions. I guess it's possible that some engines could fail at high miles due to the issue, maybe even close to 120K miles. All the more reason to DRIVE the car during those 10 years, rather than risking having the engine fail after 10 years with low miles on it.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:28 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manifold and Just in time - i would love to say that you both are right but my friend got the CEL in his 2014 at 22,000 miles, this means it took a while to happen.

The point now isn't when or if it happens the point is a new engine will be provided and that new engine should be safe from the issue
I agree. It will be interesting to keep track of this! Well done to the COG team, with special thanks to Macca and big thanks to Rob for pulling it all together. The USA was the right place to do this!

This will go down in the history books I think! Porsche did well by us!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:41 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Porsche could have, at great cost, replaced all engines.
They did the next best thing by extending the warranty.
For a manufacturer with such a long history of not stepping up and making good on their engineering mistakes, this is huge.
However, owners that don’t drive much will be left with a queasy feeling towards the end of the warranty.
Did Porsche give a range of miles driven, where if a particular engine has the finger follower inclusion problem, that it will manifest itself; 10K - 30K miles, 20K - 40K miles, etc.?

When Porsche says that they developed new finger followers and camshafts using revised manufacturing processes and specifications, does this mean after GT3 production stopped, and therefore just what is in replacement engines going forward?
Or were these changes introduced at some point during GT3, RS and R production?

Since all Rs had the DLC camshaft revision, but only later RS production, I’m assuming Porsche is figuring a change related to the lower red line of both (softer valve springs?) allows them to say these models don’t have the issue, at least not within the designed 186K miles lifetime.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:50 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemeister
would't that put the R and RS engines at risk as well? They have G engines with 4l, but thought same valve train?
No. Those engines are different in enough ways that they do not have this issue. They were tested to make sure. This only applies to GT3 engines.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:02 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
Maybe it depends on the extent and locations of the inclusions. I guess it's possible that some engines could fail at high miles due to the issue, maybe even close to 120K miles. All the more reason to DRIVE the car during those 10 years, rather than risking having the engine fail after 10 years with low miles on it.
My advice would be to just enjoy your car and put this issue completely out of your mind. Not many cars will experience this issue, but if yours does you are completely covered. And the next engine will not have this problem. Go drive your car and have fun.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,399 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
My advice would be to just enjoy your car and put this issue completely out of your mind. Not many cars will experience this issue, but if yours does you are completely covered. And the next engine will not have this problem. Go drive your car and have fun.
Agreed that that's the practical implication of all of this.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Doubt this was discussed Rob but did the Doc give you an idea on how long it would take if someone gets the CEL to the point where the new engine is installed?
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Porsche has engines built already with the fix. My buddy will get one this week.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

No. Those engines are different in enough ways that they do not have this issue. They were tested to make sure. This only applies to GT3 engines.
Rob:
I can't thank you enough for your efforts in not only protecting.1GT3 owners but also restoring confidence and pride in owning these cars. I hope our pm exchanges regarding thoughts on approach and strategy play a role or helped.

Also thank for making clear R and RSs are not suseptible to theses issues and putting a bullet in that boogeyman once and for all.

This is where you drop the mic.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:31 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Doubt this was discussed Rob but did the Doc give you an idea on how long it would take if someone gets the CEL to the point where the new engine is installed?
I don't think that ever came up.

Originally Posted by Waxer
Rob:
I can't thank you enough for your efforts in not only protecting.1GT3 owners but also restoring confidence and pride in owning these cars. I hope our pm exchanges regarding thoughts on approach and strategy play a role or helped.

Also thank for making clear R and RSs are not suseptible to theses issues and putting a bullet in that boogeyman once and for all.

This is where you drop the mic.
I played a role, as did so many others. But thanks. Our PM's helped, too. Total community effort!

As far as the R/RS being clarified, Sean and Dave were all over that topic in the meeting. I mainly stuck to the GT3, and global related questions, while Carmen and Ed covered a wide variety of topics.

But Sean and Dave had R/RS owner's backs in the meeting.

Yeah, time to move on from this discussion. Maybe we can get back to more important topics, like "can i get an allocation at MSRP?" or "how much is my car worth?" LOL

Last edited by robmypro; 08-11-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:34 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Porsche has engines built already with the fix. My buddy will get one this week.
Ed, see if he can find out the new code for it. We need to be able to identify the new engine from old stock. People will start wondering.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 75 Posts

I can only speak from my experience. The inspection and verification part took a couple of weeks. They tried plugs and coils, which didn't fix it, then removed the valve covers and saw the damaged followers. Documentation and photos went to PAG. Once it was decided to replace the engine, it was ordered and arrived from Germany to Florida in 3 days. Took another week to install, test and deliver to me. I would think the diagnosis part would be shortened, once plugs and coils are ruled out and valve covers are removed it should be a simple decision.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:58 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 424 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
How long were they waiting for the engine? How long ago did he take the car in? I'm curious to how long I might be waiting starting next week.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:17 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any other interesting topics that were discussed in the meeting that you can share?
Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
Any other interesting topics that were discussed in the meeting that you can share?
+1 did he mention if the .2 RS will come with a manual option?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement